Glossary of Terms

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
rhubarbrhubarb
Zone 3

Re: Glossary of Terms

Post by rhubarbrhubarb »

The original plan was to keep the H&C station as "Shepherd's Bush" and to re-name the Central line station "Shepherd's Bush Green" (this name did actually appear on a few line diagrams at some Central line stations!). This would, in my opinion, have been a sensible plan. But .... then the Westfield shopping centre emerged on to the scene, along with the new West London Line station, the result being the station names that we now have. Interestingly, the old Uxbridge Road station was on the site of the new Shepherd's Bush WLL station.

Roger.
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

geofftech wrote:Shepherd's Bush Market = SBM

except that S..B..M.. is the *WORST NAME EVER* for a tube station, and it would have been so much better to have renamed it 'Uxbridge Road'. Avoids all confusion with Shepherd's Bush proper (now two stations due to the Overground), matches up with 'Goldhawk Road' on the south side, and shepherd's bush market itself it hardly the pinnacle of outdoor shopping, say .. compared to Borough Market. it's just some shabby stall selling tupperware and tea towels and the occasional falafal stand ...

/rant over
I passed Shepherd's Bush market (the market itself) on Saturday and saw that there was a station by its entrance. Surprised to see that it was called "Goldhawk Road".
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Yes indeed. That was the southern entrance. Shepherds Bush Market station is on the other side of the road to the northern entrance.
I'm with Geoff here, probably should have been Uxbridge Road, or maybe Lime Grove, for all you beeb/Dr. Who historians. Or maybe the Central Line station should indeed have been Shepherds Bush Green or Common, and left t'other one as it was.