The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Post Reply
stepneygreen05
Zone 1
Posts: 37
Joined: 09 May 2020, 14:03

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by stepneygreen05 » 09 Jun 2020, 09:02

The Raven wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 06:41
Or everyone who turns up at T4 the day Battersea opens joins up as one big group and goes round together...
Glen,you could be onto something there...

michael_churchill
Zone 6
Posts: 728
Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 16:30
Location: Southampton
Contact:

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by michael_churchill » 09 Jun 2020, 09:10

greatkingrat wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:19
3 different people broke the triple jump world record on the same day in the 1968 Olympics and they all counted as official world records, so why not the same for tube challenges?
At the Moscow Olympics in 1980, in the Women's Pentathlon, held for the last time before it was expanded to the Heptathlon, all three medallists (all USSR) broke the world record. They finished the final event, the 800m, in reverse order. Bronze medallist Olga Kuragina won the 800m in 2:03.6, silver medallist Olga Rukavishnikova was second in 2:04.8 and gold medallist Nadiya Tkachenko was third in 2:05.2. Although only Tkachenko's eventual world record was ratified by the IAAF, the Guinness Book of Records used to list Rukavishnikova as the shortest reigning world record holder at 0.4 seconds.

User avatar
The Raven
All Zones
Posts: 2712
Joined: 05 Jun 2006, 23:49
Location: Perched on a branch
Contact:

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by The Raven » 09 Jun 2020, 09:12

stepneygreen05 wrote:
The Raven wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 06:41
Or everyone who turns up at T4 the day Battersea opens joins up as one big group and goes round together...
Glen,you could be onto something there...
It would be nice for everyone who's ever wanted the world record (and include myself) to get the record. Then from the day after the Andi's, Steveooo's, Clive's, Geoff's etc can get the fastest time they can.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!

Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record

RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 918
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by RJSRdg » 10 Jun 2020, 19:31

As another possible alternative challenge, there was an article on Londonist the other day about the 11 Tube stations named after bridges:

Uxbridge
Stonebridge Park
Upminster Bridge
Knightsbridge
Redbridge
London Bridge
Putney Bridge
Archway
Bow Road
Bromley-by-Bow (both named after a bow-shaped bridge)
Waterloo (the station was named after the bridge, which was named after the battle)
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

stepneygreen05
Zone 1
Posts: 37
Joined: 09 May 2020, 14:03

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by stepneygreen05 » 11 Jun 2020, 09:36

I used to commute to BBB, and as far as I know, the only bridge there is the motorway bridge!

RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 918
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by RJSRdg » 11 Jun 2020, 19:51

Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

User avatar
The Raven
All Zones
Posts: 2712
Joined: 05 Jun 2006, 23:49
Location: Perched on a branch
Contact:

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by The Raven » 16 Jun 2020, 16:54

One for Tangy

Has anyone been to the furthest north, east, south and west London bus stop in the quickest time possible?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!

Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record

stepneygreen05
Zone 1
Posts: 37
Joined: 09 May 2020, 14:03

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by stepneygreen05 » 16 Jun 2020, 17:59

That'd easily take all day glen...

User avatar
tangy
Site Administrator
Posts: 1928
Joined: 23 Apr 2006, 22:26
Location: Walthamstow, London
Contact:

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by tangy » 16 Jun 2020, 22:38

The Raven wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:54
One for Tangy

Has anyone been to the furthest north, east, south and west London bus stop in the quickest time possible?
Diamond Geezer has already visited them, but not all on the same day. He made a blog post too: https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2015 ... stops.html
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.

User avatar
greatkingrat
All Zones
Posts: 2495
Joined: 11 Feb 2005, 00:35

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by greatkingrat » 16 Jun 2020, 23:00

stepneygreen05 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 17:59
That'd easily take all day glen...
Depends if you are allowed to use trains to get between the bus stops, or only travel by bus.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver

User avatar
The Raven
All Zones
Posts: 2712
Joined: 05 Jun 2006, 23:49
Location: Perched on a branch
Contact:

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by The Raven » 17 Jun 2020, 09:54

greatkingrat wrote:
stepneygreen05 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 17:59
That'd easily take all day glen...
Depends if you are allowed to use trains to get between the bus stops, or only travel by bus.
I'd say that trains are allowed since from what I can work out none of the four bus stops are near train stations. Reminds me of baseball going to four points on a diamond...

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!

Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record

stepneygreen05
Zone 1
Posts: 37
Joined: 09 May 2020, 14:03

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by stepneygreen05 » 17 Jun 2020, 11:19

4 points on a 40 or 50-mile round diamond

User avatar
greatkingrat
All Zones
Posts: 2495
Joined: 11 Feb 2005, 00:35

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by greatkingrat » 17 Jun 2020, 11:59

It's not too bad actually

Start Harefield West / Belfry Avenue (WEST)
0916 U9 to Uxbridge
0954 Met to Kings Cross
1052 Thameslink to Potters Bar
1130 313 to New Cottage Farm arr 1138 (NORTH)

1210 313 to Potters Bar
1224 Great Northern to Old Street
1258 Northern to Bank
1305 DLR to Limehouse
1316 c2c to Upminster
1341 370 to Home Farm Cottage arr 1354 (EAST)

1414 370 to Upminster
1438 c2c to West Ham
1457 Jubilee to London Bridge
1517 Southern to East Croydon
1540 119 to Tiepigs Lane
1613 246 to Westerham Heights (SOUTH)
Soon to be yet another forum train driver

User avatar
The Raven
All Zones
Posts: 2712
Joined: 05 Jun 2006, 23:49
Location: Perched on a branch
Contact:

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by The Raven » 17 Jun 2020, 14:14

greatkingrat wrote:It's not too bad actually

Start Harefield West / Belfry Avenue (WEST)
0916 U9 to Uxbridge
0954 Met to Kings Cross
1052 Thameslink to Potters Bar
1130 313 to New Cottage Farm arr 1138 (NORTH)

1210 313 to Potters Bar
1224 Great Northern to Old Street
1258 Northern to Bank
1305 DLR to Limehouse
1316 c2c to Upminster
1341 370 to Home Farm Cottage arr 1354 (EAST)

1414 370 to Upminster
1438 c2c to West Ham
1457 Jubilee to London Bridge
1517 Southern to East Croydon
1540 119 to Tiepigs Lane
1613 246 to Westerham Heights (SOUTH)
Probably not possible with just buses then.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Go Pack Go!

Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record

roblo97
Zone 3
Posts: 148
Joined: 12 Feb 2017, 19:04

Re: The Raven Alternative Challenge ideas

Post by roblo97 » 18 Jun 2020, 01:42

The Raven wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 14:14
greatkingrat wrote:It's not too bad actually

Start Harefield West / Belfry Avenue (WEST)
0916 U9 to Uxbridge
0954 Met to Kings Cross
1052 Thameslink to Potters Bar
1130 313 to New Cottage Farm arr 1138 (NORTH)

1210 313 to Potters Bar
1224 Great Northern to Old Street
1258 Northern to Bank
1305 DLR to Limehouse
1316 c2c to Upminster
1341 370 to Home Farm Cottage arr 1354 (EAST)

1414 370 to Upminster
1438 c2c to West Ham
1457 Jubilee to London Bridge
1517 Southern to East Croydon
1540 119 to Tiepigs Lane
1613 246 to Westerham Heights (SOUTH)
Probably not possible with just buses then.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
The best I've managed so far is...

Start Harefield West / Belfry Avenue (WEST)
Walk to Chalfont Lane (circa 20 mins)
0944 724 to St Peter's Street (Stop 10)
Walk to St Peter's Street (Stop 2)
1114 84 to Potters Bar Railway Station (Stop A or P)
Walk to Potters Bar Railway Station (Stop D)
1209 313 to New Cottage Farm arr 1217 (NORTH)

New Cottage Farm (NORTH)
1217 313 to Station Road The Green (Stop L)
Walk to Station Road The Green (Stop K)
1328 179 to Gants Hill Station Cranbrook Road
Walk to Gants Hill (Stop EB)
1417 66 to Western Road (Stop QQ)
1502 370 to Home Farm Cottage arr 15:45 (EAST)

Home Farm Cottage (EAST)
1600 370 to Upminster Station (Stop A)
Walk to Upminster Station (Stop U)
1629 248 to Roneo Corner (Stop RT)
Walk to Northwood Avenue Rush Green (Stop RU)
1657 5 to Canning Town Station (Stop A)
Walk to Canning Town (Stop G)
1801 115 to Aldgate (Stop R)
1832 78 to Tower Bridge/City Hall (Stop P)
Walk to Boss Street Stop S
1856 47 to Lewisham Centre (Stop W)
1946 208 to Bromley High Street The Mall (Stop X)
Walk to Bromley High Street The Mall (Stop W)
2028 246 to Westerham Heights arr 20:57 (SOUTH)

Factoring travel times to Basingstoke in my case, I'd be getting back at 23:20 having left the town at 6:31 so it is doable in this instance but using trains would be much faster, already being on the penultimate bus (1540 119) by the time this route would have got as far as Home Farm Cottage!
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!

Post Reply