Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
dstock17
Zone 5
Posts: 492
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 20:08

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by dstock17 » 03 Aug 2019, 20:26

Heat too much for me but slightly better on the running front injuries are not there but still in back of my mind next week trellisick which apparently isn't flat
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun

User avatar
jamesthegill
All Zones
Posts: 1726
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:23
Location: Domus clamantium

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by jamesthegill » 04 Aug 2019, 09:56

Missed my train to Littlehampton so went along to Worthing instead after my two main runs were both cancelled for seaside events. Wore my PB shirt and got a course PB with little effort - I could've easily gone faster, but still took a minute 15 off my previous best time at Worthing!
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.

User avatar
tractakid
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3267
Joined: 15 Nov 2011, 20:04
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by tractakid » 05 Aug 2019, 21:55

3 weeks in a row at Linford Wood. Why not?! Won't be four ;)
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*

dstock17
Zone 5
Posts: 492
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 20:08

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by dstock17 » 05 Aug 2019, 23:12

tractakid wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 21:55
3 weeks in a row at Linford Wood. Why not?! Won't be four ;)
I'm disappointed in you Mr tourist
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun

User avatar
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 8395
Joined: 11 Apr 2006, 12:24
Location: Down in a tube station at midnight.
Contact:

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Going Underground » 06 Aug 2019, 08:12

jamesthegill wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 09:56
Missed my train to Littlehampton so went along to Worthing instead after my two main runs were both cancelled for seaside events. Wore my PB shirt and got a course PB with little effort - I could've easily gone faster, but still took a minute 15 off my previous best time at Worthing!
Great going James :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold

User avatar
jamesthegill
All Zones
Posts: 1726
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:23
Location: Domus clamantium

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by jamesthegill » 06 Aug 2019, 08:35

Going Underground wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 08:12
jamesthegill wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 09:56
Missed my train to Littlehampton so went along to Worthing instead after my two main runs were both cancelled for seaside events. Wore my PB shirt and got a course PB with little effort - I could've easily gone faster, but still took a minute 15 off my previous best time at Worthing!
Great going James :D
Thanks! I'm annoyed I didn't get to try a new course but pleased at how much I've improved over the last year!
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.

User avatar
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 8395
Joined: 11 Apr 2006, 12:24
Location: Down in a tube station at midnight.
Contact:

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Going Underground » 06 Aug 2019, 12:02

jamesthegill wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 08:35

Thanks! I'm annoyed I didn't get to try a new course but pleased at how much I've improved over the last year!
Sadly the opposite for me - struggling to break 35 minutes on flat courses - down to this tendonitis issue that has been dogging me since May last year when I stupidly ran a 10k with every step in pain + I just have no muscle power in legs any more, just natural deterioration with age :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold

dstock17
Zone 5
Posts: 492
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 20:08

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by dstock17 » 06 Aug 2019, 20:05

Going Underground wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 12:02
jamesthegill wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 08:35

Thanks! I'm annoyed I didn't get to try a new course but pleased at how much I've improved over the last year!
Sadly the opposite for me - struggling to break 35 minutes on flat courses - down to this tendonitis issue that has been dogging me since May last year when I stupidly ran a 10k with every step in pain + I just have no muscle power in legs any more, just natural deterioration with age :(
I know how you feel even though posting what for my age group is impressive time still think I can do better each time I'm worried each and every time now.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun

User avatar
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3003
Joined: 22 May 2006, 22:15
Location: Worthing

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Soup Dragon » 07 Aug 2019, 10:50

dstock17 wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 20:05
Going Underground wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 12:02
jamesthegill wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 08:35

Thanks! I'm annoyed I didn't get to try a new course but pleased at how much I've improved over the last year!
Sadly the opposite for me - struggling to break 35 minutes on flat courses - down to this tendonitis issue that has been dogging me since May last year when I stupidly ran a 10k with every step in pain + I just have no muscle power in legs any more, just natural deterioration with age :(
I know how you feel even though posting what for my age group is impressive time still think I can do better each time I'm worried each and every time now.
Sometimes you have to listen to your body and have a bit of a break. Prior to this year I only managed sub 20 minutes once (19:55 on 29/10/16)
Working at Royal Mail was not helping my running, being on my feet 5 hours a day gave me plantar fasciitis. I had to give up running with the Worthing Harriers and the only running I did manage was parkrun, once every six weeks. My times for parkrun were steadily getting worse.

I left Royal Mail in September 2018 and as my feet gradually recovered I started to get back into running properly. Earlier this year I rejoined the Harriers and started to increase the distances I was running and included interval training sessions. To start with I was struggling to run 1km in sub 4 minutes so did not think I could ever run sub-20 again. Kevin came down to visit me in April this year and we ran the inaugural Littlehampton parkrun, I managed a new PB of 19:53, only my second sub-20, and my first in 30 months.

Since then my running has become very consistent, in the last 8 weeks I've managed to run 5 sub 20 minutes, including some challenging courses such as Cranleigh and Bognor Regis (on a very wet day on a slippery, twisty turny course). I think it shows anything is possible, with the right attitude, the right diet, and with a bit of luck...! If an old git like me can do it, then anyone can, I will be entering the V55 category in approx 6 weeks, so my next target is to try and achieve an 80% age grading :shock: hoping it will be a bit easier to achieve in the next age category :lol:
One day I shall return!

User avatar
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3003
Joined: 22 May 2006, 22:15
Location: Worthing

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Soup Dragon » 07 Aug 2019, 11:13

This Weeks parkrun highlights 3rd August

14 Runners this week (a very high number)
0 New Course (very rare)

Crunchy Saviour ran a SB of 22:08 at Rushmere, and managed a top ten finish, with 7th place.
Rhys1995 set a PB with his highest ever finish, 9th at Brandon Country Park, in 23:02
jamesthegill diverted to Worthing and managed a CB of 27:37, a huge improvement of 94 seconds over his previous course record.
Iain also ran a CB at Peckham Rye in 40:07, over 4 minutes faster than his previous best.
The Raven joins the '100 Club', with his run at Upton House

Medals Update:
Peckham Rye, Andi claims (SILVER), pushing Matthewcook18 into (BRONZE) and xcooler123 is out of the medals.
Eastbourne (NEW), Soup Dragon claims (GOLD), geofftech gets the (SILVER) and jamesthegill (BRONZE)
Longrun Meadow, geofftech claims (SILVER), The Raven drops into (BRONZE) and Going Underground is out of the medals.

Full update is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
One day I shall return!

User avatar
jamesthegill
All Zones
Posts: 1726
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:23
Location: Domus clamantium

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by jamesthegill » 07 Aug 2019, 16:19

Soup Dragon wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 11:13
Eastbourne (NEW), Soup Dragon claims (GOLD), geofftech gets the (SILVER) and jamesthegill (BRONZE)

Full update is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
I think I may have to revisit Eastbourne, my PB there's 33:17 and I think I can get that down significantly - with a favouring wind possibly even take Geoff's silver from him too!

Looking at the tables I've got my eye on Geoff's silver at Seaford a week on Saturday when the Lancing lot go visiting, and maybe one day I'll make it to Littlehampton!

As a side note Soup Dragon, this week's run will be my last in the current age category as I join a new one on the 17th.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.

User avatar
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3003
Joined: 22 May 2006, 22:15
Location: Worthing

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Soup Dragon » 08 Aug 2019, 10:19

jamesthegill wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 16:19
I think I may have to revisit Eastbourne, my PB there's 33:17 and I think I can get that down significantly - with a favouring wind possibly even take Geoff's silver from him too!

Looking at the tables I've got my eye on Geoff's silver at Seaford a week on Saturday when the Lancing lot go visiting, and maybe one day I'll make it to Littlehampton!

As a side note Soup Dragon, this week's run will be my last in the current age category as I join a new one on the 17th.
Certainly the form you are in at the moment, you would smash 33:17. Sounds like Geoff had better watch out, as his South Coast Silvers are under attack. Although the medals are totally meaningless it does make it fun to have a target to aim for :D

Thanks for the heads up on the age category, no excuses now for not improving your age graded score :D
One day I shall return!

dstock17
Zone 5
Posts: 492
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 20:08

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by dstock17 » 08 Aug 2019, 19:08

If you can let me know where all his silver are that I haven't done I turned them into bronzes.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun

User avatar
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3003
Joined: 22 May 2006, 22:15
Location: Worthing

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Soup Dragon » 11 Aug 2019, 17:44

dstock17 wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 19:08
If you can let me know where all his silver are that I haven't done I turned them into bronzes.
He has 19 silvers, but 11 of them you cannot turn them to Bronze, because you are already in Gold!
One day I shall return!

User avatar
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3003
Joined: 22 May 2006, 22:15
Location: Worthing

Re: Tube Challenge parkrun league...

Post by Soup Dragon » 11 Aug 2019, 17:54

Weekly Update 10th August 2019

11 Runners this week
3 New Courses, Cliffe Castle, Penrith & Tawd Valley

Congratulations to Going Underground, 36:59 at Highbury Fields completes his "Stopwatch Bingo" challenge.
With the windy conditions there was only one SB (on time) this week, Crunchy Saviour ran 21:52 at Rushmere.
This gave Crunchy Saviour a top ten finish of 7th Place.
Soup Dragon also in the top ten, with 9th at Chichester in 20:22
Das finished in 71st palce at Westmill, which is his SB placing.

In the Medals....
Trelissick now has medals, Andi claims (Gold), with Nozza (Silver) and Going Underground (Bronze) taking medals from previous performances.
Chichester, Soup Dragon takes (Gold), demoting Andi to (Silver) and DrainBrain to (Bronze), Das is out of the medals.

Full details are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 11 Aug 2019, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!

Post Reply