Zone 1 2008 Media

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
Root
All Zones

Zone 1 2008 Media

Post by Root »

As discussed in the other thread, I'm going to be tipping off carefully selected media outlets about the Zone 1 get-together this year. It doesn't seem like anyone has a problem with this. Now, I have absolutely no experience in dealing with the media, but I thought a good place to start would be to make a press release and then email it around. As I started to put one together, I realised that we don't yet have a Zone 1 2008 logo (something like this one), so I started playing around with some design ideas.

Here's what I came up with:

I'm probably going to play up the fact that this is the fifth annual event, so I thought it would be appropriate to use the number 5 as the basis for the logo. Obviously the roundel and the London Underground font are used too.

I also experimented with using that space at the top in some way, as follows: with the time to beat, cheesy film advertisement style, and my personal favourite.

I can't decide which one to go with, which is where you come in. Let me know which logo you think is the one to go with and what you think of the design idea in general. Feel free to come up with your own alternative logos and post them here too.

When a consensus has been reached, I'll finish the press release and post that here for your consumption too.

-Ollie
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 2008 Media

Post by Going Underground »

Nice work Ollie, cant decide which slogan is best I like them all :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Helpful... :P
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Hey Ollie, nice work! I like the logo, and as for a slogan to put in the top bit, i reckon you could say '64 Stations, 1 Winner'. Because after all, the challenge of the day is come out top team, rather than trying to achieve the record. It was more coincidence that Starkey managed it last year, wasn't it? With Vauxhall already drawn, there's only a couple of good starting points left which could provide a record breaking time.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Exactly, the word "record" has nothing to do with the event - so "winner" is the way to go... I think the design is quite good.
Last edited by hwolge on 19 Mar 2008, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Damn you HÃ¥kan, editing your post like that... a taste of my own medicine, I guess.

Here's one based on your suggestions.

And here's another which I just thought up - with a slightly different design.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I doubt I'll be at the event but for what it's worth I think the best logo so far is the "64 stations. 1 winner." - they're all fantastic though. If I were you I wouldnt use the time to beat logo, because it isnt very self explanatory and also for the same reason that the day isn't to do with the record.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I was actually playing around with this for a T-Shirt design a week ago or so. How about superimposing your five-roundel thing on top of a zone1 map like:

Geographic Zone 1 Map
(I think it should be edited a bit, like removing everything outside Z1, the border, the train symbols and the DLR...)

I think it could come out a bit like the Babylon 5 logo - if anyone remembers...

I agree, that for "marketing purposes" we need to keep it simple, but as a T-Shirt motif?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Did you mean a t-shirt for your own team? I came up with this on that assumption. I can easily get rid of the name if you wanted it more generic :).

Something else I came up with is this, but I'm not sure I like it.
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

going back to the logog i prefer the "64 stations. 1 winner"
One has lost the game !!!!!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Ollie, those are all darn amazing and go for whichever one you like as they all look brill. I agree that it's not so much about getting the record... although I think that the logo should have my name somewhere on it.

:lol:
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think "64 Stations, 1 Winner" seems to be the popular choice, so I'll go with that.

I could get your name into the logo somewhere. Something like this, maybe?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

erittain hauska (very funny) putting starkey logo like that i burst out laughing when i saw it.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Oliie I also think the "64 Stations, 1 Winner" is the best motto, however, I like the 5 with the blue part of the roundel like an arrow.
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

scrxisi wrote:Obviosuly the Metro has a huge readership, and whilst I doubt it'd create a rush of thousands of entrants, it raises a question - how popular would be too popular? If a hundred people, or more, turned up, would that be a good thing? It'd be brilliant from a competition point-of-view, but the pub, and possibly the first few changes, would be quite nightmareish.

Like I say, I doubt it'd be a problem, and the more the merrier (staggered start times would fix any overcrowding problem too), in my opinion :)
I've been thinking about this as well. I don't see any real point in making this activity much more popular in any sense. On the contrary. First of all it would most certainly be banned by LU, one way or the other, most likely at the price of getting the GWR challenge banned as well. Secondly, as scrxsi points out it would be a logistic problem.

I think it's great if we get a crowd of 25-50 people. Less would be slightly boring...

As organiser I'll say that we SHOULD NOT advertise this as an OPEN EVENT in any sense. However, sending out a press release stating the fact that we, a geeky internet community (perhaps slightly more eloquantly expressed), are doing it and hope for some media coverage would certainly add to the day.

This is also one reason why I won't publish the meeting point well in advance (and CERTAINLY NOT in a press release). When we get closer to the date we will start encourage people on this forum to commit to the event via PM, email or similar...