Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2008 May 30:th 2008

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 Challenge May 30:th 2008

Post by jamesthegill »

Oh excellent, I was there before a Blood Red Shoes gig just up the road recently, good choice!
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I have baggsie the chair outside with the back its mine its a nise little club just right for the get together.

On a different note i am willing to team up with anyone who is a novice for that day if they wish.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

How would everyone feel about letting the media know that we're doing this?

It's been a few years since they seemed particularly interested in tube challenging, which is more than enough time for them to wait before covering the story again. I could get in touch with some local broadcasters and newspapers and invite them along to the start and/or finish... perhaps some unwitting journalist could be persuaded to take part!

If we get some media coverage before the event takes part, we could end up with a few new people, which would be great (it all seems a bit quiet round here at the moment), or if they cover it afterwards we'd probably get more traffic to this forum. Of course, there is a chance that they just wouldn't be interested, but I think it could be a lot of fun, and beneficial to the tube challenging community, if they were.

I won't take it anywhere unless a large majority of people think it would be a good idea to do so.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Maybe a new topic with a poll is in order here then?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Haven't we had enough of those already? :D

I'll consider doing that, but I thought I'd just try and get a bit of reaction informally... after all, like I said, everyone could be in favour of it, and then the media might not be interested anyway.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Sounds ok to me, I am all for media coverage..... just ask our fellow Eggheads :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Anything that gets my mug in the press is fine by me.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

You could always see if the BBC Russian Service are interested again :P , actually foreign media based in London would probably see zone 1 day as a quirky British thing and go on about why that makes us all so different, cant imagine zone 1 on the Copenhagen metro would be as exciting.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Yes Ollie, I would say go ahead and contact whatever media you see fit. As already mentioned it is the 5th year running and so far the event has grown bigger each year (2007 had 19 teams with 35 competitors). In addition to your efforts perhaps HÃ¥kan should contact SVT to see if they want to cover the event (seeing as we have a Swedish organiser this year).
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I don't mind any media coverage, however my experience with Swedish media says it won't be worthwhile even trying to get them interested.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

hwolge wrote:I don't mind any media coverage, however my experience with Swedish media says it won't be worthwhile even trying to get them interested.
Just tell SVT that the event is almost as big as Melodifest and this year there will be competitors from Sweden, Finland and possibly the Netherlands.
One day I shall return!
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

I've now taken off the entire week before (the weekend before Z1C is Eurovision, followed by BH Monday) so might well be up for something on the Thursday as well.
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:To modify the topic slightly, what is the opinion of the masses on a Thursday night challenge a la 2007 taking place? I am as yet undefeated in R15 (technically, as I didn't compete in the second one and wasn't therefore defeated), one of those would be good...?
Yes I was chatting about this with some of the others guys on Tuesday.........

I am all in favour of "Tubefest 08" and hopefully a R15 on Thursday evening would be good...
So my vote is yes....... :D

Oh also I am off all week as well so am about all day on the Thursday........
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

However much I support the idea of a Thursday warm-up, I won't be around to organise that part. However, I don't mind including it in the "official Tubefest 2008" (if we decide to call it that), and I can even make sure the winners of such a challenge will get the proper attention, prizes or whatever on the Friday. So, it's up to you lot, to self-organise a warm-up event!

For personal and work related reasons, I've booked my flight to London for Thursday night (probably arrive at my hotel round 10pm).
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I won't be attending the Thursday night warm-up event. I've no problem with it happening, but I think it should just remain a bit of fun... I'm not sure that officially announcing the winner and giving out a certificate on the Friday is really necessary. If you're going to do a load of challenges on one day, how about missing out the Zone 1 Challenge? We wouldn't want people getting fatigued before the main event had even begun now, would we?

Just keep it simple.