Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2008 May 30:th 2008

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
Root
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2008 May 30:th 2008

Post by Root »

Oi... Steven K just needs to refine his technique a little bit, and he'll be world class ;)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:I was aweome until drink set in! :)

I am awesome when drink sets in :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Perry Vale
Zone 1

Post by Perry Vale »

I call it the alcoholic window of opportunity - that all too brief moment when every double is hit, and the bull looks as big as big ben
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Perry Vale wrote:I call it the alcoholic window of opportunity - that all too brief moment when every double is hit, and the bull looks as big as big ben
Then you go and have that one beer too many :roll:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Exactly i was drinking Stout on that night and couldnt play darts for toffee but last night after Eggheads I was supreme hitting one double after another.Me and Kevin beat Soup Dragon and Scxrisi 10-0 :D
jbom1

Some tips from the Railway Orienteers as to how not to come

Post by jbom1 »

Some tips from the Railway Orienteers as to how not to come last next year.

(1) There are roughly speaking three strategies for drawing up a route – the Håkan strategy of preparing an optimal route for every possible starting station; on-the-hoof doodling on a Tube map 10 minutes before the start; or the circular route. It’s just that not all circular routes are born equal and neither are all starting stations. Let’s just say that more prior research might have saved 20 minutes or so.

(2) If starting from a station you’ll visit more than once, do consider getting a likely long wait (e.g., H&C) out of the way first, before the clock starts. Southbound Victoria does not qualify.

(3) If no other Challengers are visible on your first platform it’s because they (i) Started before the appointed time without waiting for the 1pm meet-up; (ii) Have a better route than you; or (iii) Are at the other end of the train because they know the door position.

(4) Do note the exact time (for league table, not Z1CC, purposes) the first time you visit a station for the last time.

(5) If you have door positions, use them (maybe even write then on your route plan).

(6) When doubling back at St. Paul’s, do research where the westbound platform is – don’t go to both ends of the eastbound and still fail to find it (it’s actually tucked away one floor up).

(7) If you do the Praed Street-Bishop’s Road run (walk, actually) in that direction, don’t expect any useful information from the indicators or, even less, a train going in the correct direction any time soon.

(8) If you’re on the eastbound H&C needing to do both Aldgates, do look at the indicators to see how far behind the next Circle is. Otherwise, you risk a long wait at Aldgate.

(9) If you’ve travelled from Aldgate on a long-awaited clockwise Circle and need the westbound District running one minute behind, there are plenty of places to change – just hop onto the platform and then back onto the next train. It’s just that Gloucester Road isn’t one of them (oops) ...

(10) ... and if you do have to do an unexpected bridge run at Gloucester Road, don’t trip your daughter over whilst charging down the steps.

(11) If the 4 hours expires when you’re still on course for the slowest Zone 1 time in history, just go straight back to base, choosing a route that avoids your remaining stations. Otherwise ...

(12) ... if you do end up getting to your 64th station in a time as slow as, shall we say (entirely hypothetically) 4:14:01, just don’t tell anyone.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Excellent advice! It was a pleasure to meet you on Friday.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nice work John....... Great another face to a name now :D

Sorry didn't get a chance to say hello on the day........