2 Americans Seek Zone 1 Challengers in March

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
CamdenTown
Zone 1

2 Americans Seek Zone 1 Challengers in March

Post by CamdenTown »

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are headed to London 20 - 23 March, and one of the goals of our trip was to try a full Tube Challenge (we earlier surfaced on this board to dispel rumors about our Alphabet Challenge record). Sadly, we failed to take into account Good Friday and planned track closures, so we will be unable to give it a go. Disappointed as we are, we'd like to do some sort of challenge, considering we don't have the luxury of flying across the ocean on a regular basis. We thought we'd do a Zone 1 on Thursday, 20 March (we already checked the list of planned track closures, and it looks like we're in the clear).

We thought it would be fun to meet some like-minded Londoners, so if there are any interested parties, we could pick a meeting spot and give it a shot.

Any interest?
CamdenTown
Zone 1

Re: 2 Americans Seek Zone 1 Challengers in March

Post by CamdenTown »

Excellent. We figured people wouldn't be able to make a firm commitment this far in advance. Just wanted to plant the seed and hopefully the week before we can hammer out all the details.
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

i'm definently up for this, and i should be free as it's during my easter break :)
sven945
Zone 2

Post by sven945 »

I can make that. I'm seeing The Cure that night so I'd have to be up at Wembley for about 7, but a zone 1 before that would be fun.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I could possibly make this depending on the start time, keep us udpated :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I am working during the day but should be able to make an evening challenge.
One day I shall return!
CamdenTown
Zone 1

Post by CamdenTown »

Great timing. We just arrived in Europe and got to an internet cafe to post on this forum. We definitely would like to do a challenge Thursday afternoon or evening. Don't know if there's a typical meeting spot, but we're able to meet anywhere in the city to perform the obligatory selection of opening station. We'll have frequent access to the internet over the next couple of days, so hopefully we can get everything squared away. Thanks!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

CamdenTown wrote:Great timing. We just arrived in Europe and got to an internet cafe to post on this forum. We definitely would like to do a challenge Thursday afternoon or evening. Don't know if there's a typical meeting spot, but we're able to meet anywhere in the city to perform the obligatory selection of opening station. We'll have frequent access to the internet over the next couple of days, so hopefully we can get everything squared away. Thanks!
Good luck guys, Thursday will be out for me due to darts commitments but looks like you may have some interested parties.........
:)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
CamdenTown
Zone 1

Post by CamdenTown »

Not a bad idea. Perhaps Angel would be a good starting station? We're certainly open to other suggestions, but figure it's small enough to be able to find people and inconvenient enough to get a good station out of the way first! If people are able to do it at 3, let's do it then. Given most of you are probably working, maybe 7 sounds better? We'll check the board later again today and then upon arriving in London tomorrow morning.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

If you are planning on a 7pm start what about opting for a Vauxhall start? The Victoria line closes at 2200, so if you start at Angel there is no guarantee that you will be able to complete the challenge unless you compromise the route by visiting Pimlico & Vauxhall earlier.
Also from a very selfish point of view Vauxhall is one of the easiest stations for me to get to! :)
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Likewise, I will check the forum tomorrow to see what has been decided and will try to get along if I can.
One day I shall return!
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

I'd forgotten about this completely, but with the possibility of a Vauxhall start i'm sorely tempted to give the Z1 record a proper crack. If there's still a few people going along I think i'll come and give it a go.
CamdenTown
Zone 1

Post by CamdenTown »

Vauxhall at 7pm it is. How shall we find each other? Admittedly, we don't know Vauxhall area/station all that well, so we'll have to rely on your infinite wisdom to get us all together. See some of you tomorrow.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

CamdenTown wrote:Vauxhall at 7pm it is. How shall we find each other? Admittedly, we don't know Vauxhall area/station all that well, so we'll have to rely on your infinite wisdom to get us all together. See some of you tomorrow.
I find that inside the station but outside the ticket barriers works well if you know what I mean.... Hope you have a good night sorry I cant join you guys....... :(
CamdenTown
Zone 1

Post by CamdenTown »

Sounds great. We'll be in a corner outside the ticket barriers about 5 minutes to 7. We'll both be wearing black jackets, if that helps spot us at all. See some of you there!