tubechallenge.de

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I know a couple of places in Amersham that may take a group for one night - likewise it may be necessary to arrange transport back from a location depending upon who's finishing where but this can be looked at nearer the time.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

tpfkar wrote:I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to have formal times for doing each challenge, as there was a good atmosphere when everyone did Zone 1 together.
Well, that was slightly different - it was competition!

Remember, the entire tubechallenge.de thing is really about claiming records, not competing head to head. If you plan for a record you certainly want to optimize everything, and in particular starting points and times!

I also think the social dimension could very well be planned and executed without synchronizing the attempts themselves.

HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

He's got a point.

Will several people all running around the same bit of the tube at the start slow people down?

Will the faster people hold doors for the slower people? I think not :-)
MileEnd
Zone 1

Post by MileEnd »

Yes - indeed - the social component will be less difficult to be planned.
And you're also right when you say that we are going to make attempts on the records.

But we're trying to find a way to have a combination of attempts on the records and a competition-like event. But that seems to be more difficult as we thought.

An easy way to do it would be this one :

Each team makes real attempts on the records - and the total time of each country is the basis for the points and with it for the competiton ranking. But - in this case - each country has to do the same challenges, and I don't know if that will happen or if that will be possible. Could be a problem.

So, we're going on to find a solution on that.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

hwolge wrote:When it comes to the "World Cup Scoring" I would simply suggest a system like in the Athletics World Cup, where several (in our case any number of) groups/individuals go for different disciplines (challenges), and afterwards we can sum up the total score over all disciplins (challenges), per geographical team. Say a 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points scale per disciplin based on each group's/individual's best result.
I think this works well together with record attempts...

HÃ¥kan
MileEnd
Zone 1

Post by MileEnd »

Right, but - in fact and finally - we will have two scorings :

1. The time scoring (individual) - for attempts on the records

and

2. The point scoring (team/country) - based on the results of the times on the record attempts

I really don't see any other possibility to manage it.
Last edited by MileEnd on 05 Jul 2005, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Agreed!

Or rephrased:

A number of record attempts will be made - maybe a few records will be broken - possibly even by Germans...

But to make the days more interesting for everyone we'll have a national scoring system as well and perhaps even a £15-trophy to the winning country!

HÃ¥kan
Last edited by hwolge on 05 Jul 2005, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
MileEnd
Zone 1

Post by MileEnd »

Yes - I think now we've got it !

There's one thing I would like to suggest in addition :

Let's take three trophies. A bigger one for the winner country and two smaller ones for the 2nd and the 3rd.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK people.

It's been four months since this topic was posted in and I was wondering if things had progressed any further with anybody.

A quick look at the German Tube Challenge site shows a few participants but that's about it so far.

Regarding any participation by Geoff or I, Geoff has indicated no interest in having another go at the full record at any point in the near future, and I'm not sure what his plans would be when the ELL closes and H5 opens.

As soon as a good reason for giving it another go arises (someone beating us, new station configuration) I'll be onto him to get back in training :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

If it's still happening, I'm still up for it.
There are more participants on the site than four months ago which suggests that progress is being made. Perhaps we should tell Mile End to drop back in and update us.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Could someone please help this ignorant fool known only as "Pete" ?

A few questions: -

a) when does :Heathrow T5 station open?
b) when does Queensway open?
c) when does the ELL shut?
d) is it the whole of t'ELL that's closing, or just certain stations?
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The answers so far as I can determine:

a) some time in 2007
b) May 2006 (look on a tube map you lazy bastard!)
c) not sure
d) all stations on the ELL that are NOT on other lines will be removed from the LU network.

So that's Shoreditch, Shadwell (tube station, not DLR), Wapping, Rotherhithe and Surrey Quays.

New Cross and New Cross Gate will probably be served by the new service but not by the tube platforms as they are dead ends. The links between the tube line and the main line will need to be reinstalled and the tube platforms closed.

Does anyone know more about that?

And what's all this got to do with the German Tube Challenge?

Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

new cross will still be served as it is, there are no immediate plans to extend it further east. new cross gate however yes you're correct.

surrey quays and shoreditch will be replaced with 2 new stations, shoreditch is just pointing completely the wrong way to extend the line, and a new surrey quays station will be moved across to another branch after canada water. so from canada water the line will branch into 3: one to surrey quays and on to clapham (to form an "orbital" line via willesden junction, the NLL and the extension from canonbury down to whitechapel), one to new cross gate and on to crystal palace/west croydon, and the third to new cross.

didn't realise shadwell ELL was closing aswell though. though it was just the other 4.

what i wanna know is what is gonna happen to our national rail services once this all happens? will they cease to exist, or just lessen? i.e. will there still be a link between new cross gate and london bridge? or will all suburban services just call at canada water instead? the extension to west croydon covers the whole forest hill line, and the clapham branch covers peckham rye, queens road peckham and i have a feeling the new surrey quays station is set to replace south bermondsey NR aswell...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Do you have a URL to a map of the proposals you've just outlined above?

I'm particularly interested in the three-way junction at Canada Water.

Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/initiatives/ ... -map.shtml

surrey quays is still on that map, but i think it is definitely going to go. the new station has a new name, this is what i forgot to mention.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají