tubechallenge.de

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Isn't there (or wasn't there) a Phase 3, where the line runs from H&I to Finsbury Park?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Don't trains already run from Highbury & Islington to Finsbury Park?

Surely it would just be a case of the Phase 2 work linking them together?
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Nutteronabus wrote:Don't trains already run from Highbury & Islington to Finsbury Park?
Only in passenger service on the Victoria Line and Great Northern & City.

Phase 2 of the ELL Extension will feature the reconstruction of the former West curve at Dalston Junction (well, kinda, I think the original route is blocked), with through running onto Network Rail metals to terminate at Highury (presumably in the "excursion" platform, adjacent to the NLL Eastbound).

Through running to Finsbury Park from Highbury would involve trains either running non-stop from Dalston and using the existing Canonbury curve, or construction of a new curve East of Highbury to link to same, and reversal at Highbury.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
moley
Site Administrator

ELLEX

Post by moley »

The construction timetable is:

Nov 2006: Start main works on site
Feb 2007: Complete detailed design for main construction phase
late 2008: Line closes for 18 months & Shadwell station is remodelled
May 2009 (a): Rolling stock available for test running
May 2009 (b): Completion of infrastructure works
Oct 2009: Completion of test and trial operations
Jun 2010: Publicised line opening

The route after phase 1 will be:

Dalston Junction - Crystal Palace (4tph)
Dalston Junction - West Croydon (4tph)
Dalston Junction - New Cross (4tph)

The route after phase 2 will be:

Highbury & Islington - Crystal Palace (4tph)
Highbury & Islington- West Croydon (4tph)
Dalston Junction - Clapham Junction (4tph)
Dalston Junction - New Cross (4tph)

Surrey Quays station is staying. Directly following that will be the phase 2 junction leading to the new station at Surrey Canal Road and onto the South London Line to platform 2 at Clapham Junction. Platform 1 will be reopened for the West London Line service.

The New Cross/New Cross Gate junction will remain as is. At New Cross Gate a new platform will be used to enable through services. At New Cross, the existing platform will be used as all trains will terminate there.

Trains will still run from London Victoria round to London Bridge on the South Lonon Line - I belive that ELLEX will use existing/shadow Eurostar paths which will not be needed after May 2007.

Tfl Rail will be responsible for running the line. Stock is expected to be the current SWT Class 458 units. TfL Rail will also take over the North London Line and West London Line.

Once TfL Rail take over the above routes and in 2012 when the Bakerloo line is extended to Watford Junction (using cascaded Victoria line stock), TFL will run the following service.

Clapham Junction - Willesden Junction - Stratford (2tph)
Clapham Junction - Willesden Junction - Barking (2tph)
Richmond - Willesden Junction - Stratford (4tph)
Queens Park - Killburn High Road - South Hampstead - Camden Road (2tph) - Note that the South Hampstead to Camden Road freight line will be put into Passenger use.

remember that Stratford - Woollwich will go close, to be DLRised in December 2006.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

what's going to happen at west croydon though? will there be a new platform? cos at the moment there's only one terminus platform facing north, which could handle an ELL train every 15 minutes but not the southern services which terminate there (there are 4 of these an hour normally). this is what made me think they'd change the national rail services on these lines round.

also, wasnt there a plan for an "orbital" service running right round, like another circle line, from clapham to willesden to canonbury and down the ELL/SLL to clapham again? or am i delusional here...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
MileEnd
Zone 1

Post by MileEnd »

Adham wrote:If it's still happening, I'm still up for it.
There are more participants on the site than four months ago which suggests that progress is being made. Perhaps we should tell Mile End to drop back in and update us.
Oh yes, it's still happening - even if there's not that much activity on the website at the moment (it's job related !)

we also finally fixed the date for our short trip 2006 : it will be the weekend March 4. and 5. (reason : opening of Acton Depot)

Sorry that there are not much new things on our website - that will change from Frebruary 2006
The JLE
Zone 1

Post by The JLE »

I am going to the Innotrans 2006 exhabition in Berlin. I will try out their system when I am there.
Building Amsterdams first TUBE???.... HELP my city is sinking...

I am the voice you hear on the stations controled by Amsterdam's signalling centre... Working at the signalling centre is wonderfull....
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Checked the system last time i was there in feb. As you'd expect with Germany everything is Ruthlessly effecient- even the buses run to the second. Theres very little in terms of physical buildings- everything has stairs going down into stations. All U-Bahn lines are SSL and everythings yellow. They have plasma screens on most trains too. Their lines are named U1-U9, so with the exception of the dreadful boy band northern line, they have the only metro line in the world to share their name with a band...
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

Plasma screens?
Planned on the Tube roughly about the year....2200. London hasn't got the heating yet. So TV is a long way off. I went to Barcelona last year and their metro looks roughly the same as our Metropolitian.

I hear in Russia they have chandeliers. :D
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

You really are very talkative today aren't you...
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

I haven't been on for 3 months and then 4 lines?!?
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Zeibura wrote:also, wasnt there a plan for an "orbital" service running right round, like another circle line, from clapham to willesden to canonbury and down the ELL/SLL to clapham again? or am i delusional here...
Yup, look at the Rail section of the TfL website and go to the ELLX section - they're extending it from Surrey Quays, then a new station at Surrey Canal Road, then joining up with existing lines, serving everything from Queen's Road Peckham to Wandsworth Road, then diverting off to Clapham Junction.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Will the Orbital be TfL/LU Owned?
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Don't think so - both ends are basically part of the ELLX, so whoever's running that.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Beary
Zone 2

Post by Beary »

The 2006 challenge has been called off for various reasons, mainly job-relating ones on my behalf. I don't know if there will be any attempt by some of the team members, but it does not seem completely unlikely.
I will certainly go for the All Stations next year.