Suprise First 268 Attempt?

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

sven945 wrote:Congratulations to you lot! You had a few problems, but it seems like you had many fewer than the CiN day!

Next midweek attempt make it a Monday or a Wednesday and I'll definitely be joining you for much of the day.
We will hold you to that Jack as we are running out of stopwatch starters and stoppers :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

ping pon wrote:I think the worst day to do an attempt on is on a friday as after about 7pm the sytem goes into meltdown
My attempt was actually on Friday and the system held up remarkably well in the evening with some very smooth changes, but that was over 3 years ago...
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I dont mind starting the stopwatch for anybody on a future attempt as long as they give me advance warning beforehand andi.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Well done SD & team and good of you to set a decent Bench mark and what should be comfirmed as the new world record for us all to beat.

Again Well Done
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Many congratulations guys, sounds like a great day, and that is a very competitive time to aim for. That extra hour you must get in bed now might even tempt me out of retirement!

Well done, the early bird sometimes does catch the worm!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

scrxisi wrote:I'd always be willing to do some support work on an attempt for anyone, with reasonable warning (about a month would be neccessary for work) and possibly a bit of help in getting up to/back from the middle-of-nowhere, if work would allow.

I've made a New Year's resolutio to break a World Record in 2008 - or at least have a damn good go. Guess which one I'm favouring :)
Most Jelly eaten with chopsticks in 1 minute? :o
Most Needles in the head? :shock:
Largest Scorpian held in the mouth? :twisted:
Most Snails on the face? :?

I give up... which one are you having a go at? There are so many to choose.

p.s. without cheating, anyone care to guess what the records are in these categories?
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

They're such toilet records. They don't need skill, planning or endurance, just stupidity and too much time on one's hands.
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Soup Dragon wrote:The driver then announced that due to a one-under on the Edgware branch his train was being diverted to terminate at Archway. This saved us a lot of messing around at Camden Town and probably saved us a couple of minutes
Hmph, that's the last time I volunteer to be on the support team for one of your attempts...

:wink:
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Starkey7 wrote:They're such toilet records. They don't need skill, planning or endurance, just stupidity and too much time on one's hands.

Whereas Tube Challenging only requires stupidity and too much time on one's hands. :)
One day I shall return!
sven945
Zone 2

Post by sven945 »

The earliest that you can get to Amersham from Baker Street is 0620 (setting off at 0520), according to TFL. I suppose it could be theoretically possible, but if I was doing it then I'd probably prefer starting on the first train in case things went wrong during the day, allowing you even more scope to definitely finish.
Last edited by sven945 on 02 Jan 2008, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I have already looked at starting later and for some strange timetable reason you take 7 mins longer over the first part of the route.

And starting earlier you are able to travel back to central london at the end.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

With the Amersham start unfortunately the first train appears to be best, this is because later services to Chesham operate as a shuttle service and you end up wasting time changing twice at Chalfont & Latimer.
What's to say Amersham is the best starting point though?
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Soup Dragon wrote:What's to say Amersham is the best starting point though?
Well, both computer software and human experience have shown that Amersham should be start or finish - probably simply because it's too expensive to go out there and back (even though Keith Lowe argues differently in "Tunnel Vision").

However, an Amersham finish is quite concievable, provided you have a set goal for your time and not trying to minimise it. One of Geoff's TV appearences illustrates this brutally - it's half an hour between the finishing opprtunities. But if you select your start with this in mind - I don't see any good reason why it wouldn't work with an Amersham finish. I looked into doing our record route backwards, but couldn't fit Shoreditch in properly... It's so much easier now!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jbom1

Reversibility asymmetry of routes

Post by jbom1 »

Agreed. Of course, "provided you have a set goal for your time and not trying to minimise it" is a major limitation. It seems obvious that it will be best to start with one of the lowest frequency services, if possible, with a zero wait. After 18 hours or so, the wait for the last train might be a random variable with a mean that's about half the service interval (under various assumptions, including that the preceding train is much higher frequency).

I had a 25 minute wait for the penultimate connection on my London Boroughs Challenge (missing one by a few seconds).
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: Suprise First 268 Attempt?

Post by Soup Dragon »

Having a bit of a Lockdown clearout and I've come across our full Journey Log for this attempt on 29/12/2007.

We started at Amersham at 05:28:12 and finished at Heathrow T123 at 22:59:03, giving us a time of 17h30m51s.

It still annoys me a great deal that GWR refused to confirm this as the world record. The reasons they gave were as follows....

1) That not all stations are open on the weekend.... WRONG, all stations were open, so it was a valid attempt.
2) An attempt on a Saturday is not valid..... WRONG, they had already given us authority to attempt if all stations were open.
3) It would be unfair to the current holders if they allowed us the record.... WRONG, we were the current holders.

Had the attempt been validated it would have resulted in three consecutive record attempts.
One day I shall return!