Cannon Street Run - Zone 1 - 19th September

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I'm sure that Soup Dragon won't ever let us forget that. He's quite into all that sort of thing, you see.

HÃ¥kan was telling me the other month about the worst possible starting station for a Zone 1 route. I shan't reveal what it is; that's up to him, but any guesses from anyone? It leads to a fascinating little mathematical problem, if you treat it like I did.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

A2 wrote:Don't forget that September 19 = International Talk Like A Pirate Day (ITLAP)
That was part of the reason for choosing 19th September for this Challenge! How many people attempting the challenge will also dress like a pirate?
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 18 Sep 2007, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Starkey7 wrote:the worst possible starting station for a Zone 1 route
Amersham.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Aberywstwyth.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

You're both right, of course.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

gasman wrote:
Starkey7 wrote:the worst possible starting station for a Zone 1 route
Amersham.
I was for a moment thinking Epping (and it's quite similar to Amersham), however - Chesham is the obvious correct answer when you think of it!

As for a Z1 start, there are a few candidates in my book, Paddington (Bak/Cir), Marylebone or Marble Arch - all quite bad, in different ways.

As for the ultimate start with a Vauxhall finish - I'd say Southwark or Lambeth North (they're quite similar and my model is not exact enough to tell wchich is the better of these). Thinking of it now, I think Southwark is best, since you get an easier 3rd change at Waterloo... From then on the routes are identical...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

hwolge wrote: As for a Z1 start, there are a few candidates in my book, Paddington (Bak/Cir), Marylebone or Marble Arch - all quite bad, in different ways.
Marble Arch was certainly a pain when we tried it. However I'd have thought that Marylebone would have been very good - go to Paddington (B) then onto the H+C, to Great Portland St, run to Regents Park etc.

My worst would be the Aldgates and the Paddingtons, as you can't use the normal trick of running between them.
hwolge wrote: As for the ultimate start with a Vauxhall finish - I'd say Southwark or Lambeth North (they're quite similar and my model is not exact enough to tell wchich is the better of these). Thinking of it now, I think Southwark is best, since you get an easier 3rd change at Waterloo... From then on the routes are identical...
Interesting thanks. If your first few changes are the standard ones, I also imagine it's faster heading out of Elephant and Castle on the Bakerloo than heading in, again suggesting Southwark as the best start. I asked because I've come up with what I think is the best Z1 route on paper - but it starts at a station that is not exactly a popular choice - I might have to actually try it sometime!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

tpfkar wrote:However I'd have thought that Marylebone would have been very good - go to Paddington (B) then onto the H+C, to Great Portland St, run to Regents Park etc.
It's quite possible you're right, this data may be from the time RP was closed... I'll look into it some day!

Then again. All of this is affected by how far and fast you're able/willing to run. My results are based on limited runs and brisk walking...

My list of best starts continues with St Paul's and Old Street - could one of them be your favourite?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Southwark for me, although on the one attempt from there so far the Circle line went into meltdown and I lost my team mate at Liverpool Street so it all went a bit "pear shaped" :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

All of the above mentioned stations are indeed good starting points for a Z1, however, none of them can rival Cannon Street as the "numero uno" choice.
One day I shall return!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Going Underground wrote:Southwark for me, although on the one attempt from there so far the Circle line went into meltdown and I lost my team mate at Liverpool Street so it all went a bit "pear shaped" :?
And had you and the Doctor not become seperated you would still have come home in just over three hours.

Southwark start is also good because if the first few changes go badly you can go back and start again, and you don't have the slow approach to Elephant and Castle.
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

editorsfoot wrote:
Going Underground wrote:Southwark for me, although on the one attempt from there so far the Circle line went into meltdown and I lost my team mate at Liverpool Street so it all went a bit "pear shaped" :?
And had you and the Doctor not become seperated you would still have come home in just over three hours.

Southwark start is also good because if the first few changes go badly you can go back and start again, and you don't have the slow approach to Elephant and Castle.

The problem was GU Followed Starkey down one his shortcuts and not his team mate. :roll:
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

yarrrrr...so only 3 days to go.

just wondering what the confirmed meet-up plans are? time and place?

i'm excited cause i'm gonna be using the Waterloo and City for the first time! :P
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

dudey wrote:yarrrrr...so only 3 days to go.

just wondering what the confirmed meet-up plans are? time and place?

i'm excited cause i'm gonna be using the Waterloo and City for the first time! :P
Nice one Dudey taking the drain eh.......

I would guess 1845hrs at the ticket machines at Cannon St, hoepfully Soupie can confirm........

See you Weds........ :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Ahoy Shipmates,

Thy meeting time be 6:45pm at ye entrance to Cannon Street.
We plan to set sail at 7pm prompt, so any scurvy seadogs who are late be warned, you will be forced to walk the plank later. As soon as ye have finished thy challenge head straight to Ye Capt'n Kidd in Wapping.

Now dont ye be forgetting to wear your best piratey clobber, and thar be a flaggon o' ale for ye best dressed shipmate.

See ye all on Wednesday eve.
Capt'n Jack
One day I shall return!