Compiling a route

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
wobble
Zone 1

Compiling a route

Post by wobble »

I'm going to attmept my first tube challenge soo, and was wondering, how do people compile their routes? Do you have some sort of methodical way of going about it, or just guess at things that look like they might work.

Wobble

P.s. I'm not interested in "madea computer program" unless you are willing to give it to me. Didn't think so...
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Nothing beats good research. You will quickly discover which stations are good to change at and which stations you can consider running between or taking the bus. There are plenty of tips to be found in other parts of this forum and on other sites. Knowing your carriage and door position to exit the train helps a great deal and "The Way Out Tube Map" is a useful guide to get you going, although not 100% accurate.
Once you have a rough idea of a route run it through TFL to see what time you come out with. If you have more than 18h25m on paper you will need to get back to the drawing board. Consider carefully which station to start from and finish at, there are only a handful of realistic options for this. But most of all remember to have fun :)
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

RE:COMPLING A ROUTE

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I WOULD SECOND THE FACT THAT GOOD RESEARCH IS NEEDED BUT TFL IS NOT RELIABLE IN BUS JOURNEY TIMES AT ALL HIGH BARNET-COCKFOSTERS ESPECIALLY AND SOME JOURNEY TIMES ON THE TUBE ARE QUITE FAR OUT IN FACT I READ ON TFL THAT 1 JOURNEY THAT TOOK 10MINS AND ANOTHER 13 MINS FOR THE SAME JOURNEY BETWEEN 2 POINTS ALSO THE WALK TIMES ARE SLIGHTLY OUT AS WELL. I WILL BE TRAVELLING ON THE NETWORK 22ND AUGUST - 24TH AUGUST DOING A DOCU ON THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT MAYBE U LIKE TO COME ALONG IM TAKING A CAMERA WITH ME AND DOING ALL THE FAMOUS RUNS AND HAVING A BLAST I DONT INTEND TO DO AN ALL 275 STATIONS UNLESS
I FEEL LIKE IT ON THE THURSDAY 23RD BUT THEN IT WONT BE RECORD BREAKING JUST TAKING IT EASY AND SEEING WHERE AND WHEN I CAN IMPROVE
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Bus times are notoriously unreliable on TFL. Certainly outside of rush-hours you can deduct several minutes from certain bus times, such as between Wimbledon & Morden. The full working timetable will give you more accurate times of trains, you have to take into account that the times on TFL could be rounded up or down to the nearest minute and this might explain some of the different timings.
One day I shall return!