Regents Park

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
dudey
Zone 5

Regents Park

Post by dudey »

hey hey. i suspect i'm probably the last to know but i'm sure i've not seen it mentioned that regents park is reopening at noon this Tuesday 12th. Anyway, just thought this might be an interesting development in the fast-moving world of the Z1 challenge. i was already going to be having a crack at it this Thursday with a route i had planned, but this could change things with the possibility of a GPS-Regents park run.

if i've completely missed a discussion on this somewhere, please feel free to spit on the newbie and let this thread drop....
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well thanks to the handy SEARCH facility available on this forum, you could have searched for "Regents park" and saved yourself the trouble of making a tit of yourself.

It all depends if this has been mentioned before.

For further information, and sarcasm, see the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Not only that but it is the first time all Z1 stations have been open for sometime.......
So a good opportunity to get out there and set a possible Z1 record without and pass throughs :wink:

p.s. I don't believe this topic has been mentioned previously...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Right, I'm going out there on Friday to beat my own time!

Only joking. But I can have a look next week to see if it really is open, and then I'll let everyone know.
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

fortunately i'm not a phpBB amateur so i did try using the search function. the thing is that it's sometimes unreliable and it's hard to find proper mentions of things like this. well, i found that anyway. hence my cautiousness. if someone finds something please may one of the mods feel free to bump that and delete this one.

anyway.....yes my attempt which was based purely on being around has suddenly become a fantastically timed one! if anyone else fancies it on thursday afternoon then do please feel free to join me. i'm as i speak re-evaluating my route to see if i can take advantage of rare all-openness so i don't know yet what my starting station will be. maybe regents park!

EDIT: p.s. in case you don't believe me, my information was gotten from here
Last edited by dudey on 10 Jun 2007, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey7 wrote:Right, I'm going out there on Friday to beat my own time!

Only joking. But I can have a look next week to see if it really is open, and then I'll let everyone know.
You need to, re-starting your watch at Southwark then claiming a record Z1 time with a pass through......A shallow victory methinks young starkey :wink: :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

tubeguru wrote:Well thanks to the handy SEARCH facility available on this forum, you could have searched for "Regents park" and saved yourself the trouble of making a tit of yourself.

It all depends if this has been mentioned before.

For further information, and sarcasm, see the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
Brilliant, sums up how I feel about some "tits" on here who post for the sake of posting. think.... just think.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Dudey, I might well join you on Thursday; it depends upon a lot of issues and conditions being met though.

I don't think that Dudey was being a tit. I thought that that was a small bird, anyway? It's a fair point to make about Regents Park, and I can't find any dedicated topic (although there is one for Queensway). I suppose that it might be better in the Off Topic forum, but then again the status of Regents Park does affect some people's Zone 1 routes.

I love how this thread has reached eight posts already.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

A little bird (possibly a tit) did tell me that you might be on the tube this Thursday. Depending on how things develop I might be able to join you in the evening. As for Regent's Park it is scheduled to re-open at 12 noon tomorrow, but if anything like Queensway it won't be on schedule. When I passed through the other week there still appeared to be some work to do. Depending on the starting station of a Z1 the RP to GPS run is one that should be considered. I've only used it once before and that was in a Bottle challenge.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Depending on where you are starting and what time I may possibly be able to join you on Thursday....

I am supporting a full network GWR attempt on that day and that is my main priority.....

Keep us posted...... :D :wink:
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

gah well i just had another look at the tfl site just now and surprise surprise, the status has been changed to 'closed until further notice'. it seems this was a false alarm. it did say it was opening tuesday though, honest! suppose you can use this thread when it eventually does re-open!

as for my attempt on thursday, i'll still be doing it, and i'll be starting at Earls Court at about 1pm, although that's not rigid, so just whenever around that time

i am a tit
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I did wonder if it was ready or not because I went through it a couple of weeks ago and it looked nowhere near finished tile-wise on the platforms.

They didn't have any vending machines or help points installed in the marked-out spaces either.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Just heard on BBC London news that the London Fire Brigade refused to sign off the plans, so no opening today ... yet.

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

dudey wrote:as for my attempt on thursday, i'll still be doing it, and i'll be starting at Earls Court at about 1pm, although that's not rigid, so just whenever around that time
Good luck, I won't be able make Earls Court for 1pm as I need to be in the Cockfosters area around 2.30pm as "support team"..

Interesting choice for the starting station, we did an evening Earls Court Z1 last year........ :)

EDIT: Don't be so harsh on yourself :wink:
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

this is as good a place as any to give you a (not so) little report on my zone 1 challenge attempt today, but i'll start by being on topic and reporting that Regents Park is now open.

got to earls court about 1.50pm and, after seeing that there was a good service on all lines, proceeded to wait forever for a train bound for Edgware Road and my stop of Bayswater. one eventually came in, stood at the platform for 5 minutes, then the doors closed and i started the watch. you'd think after that wait at the station it would be a clean run up. but oh no, the stop-start journey just to HSK took over 5 minutes. Anyway, after that worrying start i managed to run to Queensway without bumping into any innocent bystanders and got down the stairs just as a train was about to pull in. my first "sexy change" of the day ;).

Later on at Euston i thought i'd had another fantastic change when i arrived on the bank branch platform to a train pulling in, but having jumped on with glee i found myself staring at the red marble platform for the next 7(!) minutes. being convinced this had now scuppered any chance of a sub 3-hour time i was ready to give up the next time it happened. so when i got to moorgate to catch a westbound H&C i thought the inevitable long wait would be enough to demoralise me completely. but when i arrived on the upstairs platform i was delighted to see on the board that i'd only be waiting there for 3 minutes! i know this perhaps doesn't sound as exciting as perhaps it was for me, but i thought you couldn't really expect more than that from the poor old H&C.

E&C threw up the sexiest change of the day. a full 40 seconds were spent there as having climbed the 2 sets of stairs from the bakerloo i dived onto the ready-to-depart northern line train to the bemusement of the other passengers.

deciding that perhaps wasn't worth doubling back to earls court in order to take off the 5mins46 :P i took the Gloucester road spiral staircase 4 a go to get yet another of the days many sexy changes and then onwards to a double back at russell square which only took 2mins20seconds from arriving there and arriving back at holborn thanks to yet another perfect change.

legs weary, the aldgate run finished me off and i stumbled onto the district line train at aldgate east, but realised that it had only taken 3 minutes for me to get between the 2 trains and my time was suddenly looking great. wanting to bang on the drivers door at every stop so he'd hurry up all the way along to victoria i watched the current record slip by between westminster and st james park but knew bar an appalling final change i'd certainly be in for a competitive time. the change was good and my final train to vauxhall got me there in a time of 2 hours 53 minutes and 50 seconds.

this was only the second ever time i'd done this or indeed any other tube challenge so i'm pretty pleased indeed with the time and with some more cunning and even more luck the record is definitely achievable.

watch out starkey! ;)