All Lines challenge question

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
jamesthegill
All Zones

All Lines challenge question

Post by jamesthegill »

Bored evening while my girlfriend's off with her flatmates, so as a laugh I've plotted myself two All line routes. However, a thought struck me (and it bloody hurt, too) - if someone were to travel, purely hypothetically, between GPS and Euston Square on a H&C train (told you it was hypothetical ;)) - would that count as one line, or three? As you would be going over the same metals that the Met and the Circle line use...

I think I know what the answer will be, but I want to make sure just to put my mind at ease.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

One line.

You have to travel on a train in service on each of the lines to say you have done each one.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Thought as much, thank you :)
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

and for me the H&C is the bugger! Annoyingly, although not on a challenge, I arrived at my H&C interchange station to find two H&Cs in the platforms both signed as 'first train out'! Didn't think that was possible?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

You should do what Geoff and I did.

We started at Barbican with the intention of changing to the District at Aldgate East to get us to Whitechapel.

So we stood there and waited until the next three eastbound trains showing on the board were Circle, Met, H&C in that order. In fact it wouldn't have mattered which way round the first two were, so long as the third was an H&C.

So we did Circle to Moorgate, got off and waited for the following Met, took that to Liverpool Street, got off and waited for the following H&C, and went to Aldgate East!

Simple really ...

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tubeguru wrote:You should do what Geoff and I did.

We started at Barbican with the intention of changing to the District at Aldgate East to get us to Whitechapel.

So we stood there and waited until the next three eastbound trains showing on the board were Circle, Met, H&C in that order. In fact it wouldn't have mattered which way round the first two were, so long as the third was an H&C.

So we did Circle to Moorgate, got off and waited for the following Met, took that to Liverpool Street, got off and waited for the following H&C, and went to Aldgate East!

Simple really ...
Shock, Neil gives away a secret :shock:
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yes, but revealing the details of a rather shoddy Zone 1 effort done two years ago is hardly going to find me impeached for breaking the Official Secrets Act.

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Quite true Neil, and for anyone who can be bothered to look the full route is published on that famous anglo-american site. The official secrets act is safe in your hands.
One day I shall return!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

All lines challenge routes were revealed all the time. it was done as a bit of fun. nowt more. easy on the aggro please fellas. its getting boring and making me and others feel a touch uncomfortable. there's enough grumpyness on the tube already!