Top Times: Alphabet Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
jonny
Zone 6

Top Times: Alphabet Challenge

Post by jonny »

**This post is no longer being updated, for the up to date leaderboard please go to the Alphabet Challenge page on Explorer Ticket. This post will be retained for historical reference.**

Here is a list of the times made so far on attempts at the Alphabet Challenge.
  1. 05:00:44 Evan Thorn & Dave Salvo
  2. 05:01:22 Kevin Brown, Phil Brown & Jamie Brown
  3. 05:20:25 Steven Karahan & Samuel Robinson
  4. 05:25:38 Jonny Lyon
  5. 05:37:25 Jonathan Amery
  6. 05:56:00 David Scard & Tara Exell
I have decided to include Evan and Dave's attempt on this list, despite speculation that it may have been an attempt to deceive and actually materialised. I, personally, having read the various quotes, believe that (following Kevin, Phil and Jamie's excellent time this afternoon) it is quite possible for this attempt to have been true. I will be happy to remove it from the list if there are protests outside my house tomorrow morning ;).

Post your times below...
Last edited by tangy on 16 Feb 2020, 13:46, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Red text at top of post
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Just ploughing through the site I found a time posted by Senji (Jonathan Amery) of 5h 37m 25s. This was on the 30th May 2005, Senji also made a comment about Queensway.
Senji wrote: I think the time I got shows that the route is plausible, particularly if I can plug a more sane QRST section in (I assumed that I couldn't count Queensway (shut) for Q, but it wouldn't have helped in this case) and go to Westminster rather than Warren Street at the end.
Personally I would say that unlike a GWR or Z1, if a station is closed you have to find an alternative letter Q that is open. The only exception being Ickenham, and if that's closed you can't make a valid attempt. But I guess it should be down to whoever invented the challenge to confirm the exact rules. Was that David Scard?
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Damn, I'm gonna have to start defending myself soon :S

Basically, the only other sane 'R' station to use was the one that the Browns were using, and upon having it suggested to me that Regent's Park was not a valid 'R' I already knew that the Browns' 'R' station was quicker than mine so it would look like I was cheating and copying their route if I changed mine as a response to Regent's Park being invalid.

I hope that all makes sense anyway..
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

I think pass through's should not be aloud because in some cases you are getting a better time than you would have done if the station was open and then if another team was to go out and try it and the station was re-opened they would be at disadvantage and therefore get a slightly worst time so to make it fair i dont think pass-through's should be aloud
One has lost the game !!!!!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

But in some cases, for example mine, you are not gaining any time advantage, in fact losing a considerable amount of time.

You can look at it from the opposite perspective.

If pass-throughs are not allowed, then in most cases the person attempting whilst a station is closed is severely disadvantaged.
thornski
Zone 1

Post by thornski »

Hi everyone,

This is Evan, who along with Dave posted the 5:00:44 time.

I noticed when I visited the site just a while ago that there was some speculation in multiple forums that our time was fabricated. Safe to say I was pretty disappointed to see this.

Anyway I've made a post in the "Alternative Challenge Chat" forum under "Alphabet Challenge Record Time" that hopefully provides plenty of clarification on our time and ends any talk that our time may have been fabricated. And like I said in the other post, if any of you want to message me, I'll provide as many details as I can about our attempt without giving you our full route. :wink:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Top Times: Alphabet Challenge

Post by Going Underground »

Time to get my route out from 2006 and go sub 5 hours on Monday 25th August :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Hi Matt, I am waiting to hear from the rest of the Brown clan so will let you know... Shame we can't get a few more people along, I think they are all scared of me on the dartboard.... :wink:

Anyway if I am solo a triple threat match sounds good...... 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

im happy to go alone or in a triple threat r u still happy to do some research then on saturday for this :?:
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

i might have to forgo saturday due to the fact i have to attend a barbecue on the friday night but can do some early monday then up to start for alphabet.
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

Had a successful completion today in a rather unimpressive time of 5:14:20 (although I'll be third on the leaderboard for this challenge!) - see my post in Alternative Challenge chat
London Overground: 1 10:28:25 with Lewis Nagle and Aubery Morandarte
Mouse: 4 1:27:58
Alphabet: 1 5:14:20
R15: 2 1:55:48 with Rhys Jackson and Rhys Benjamin
ALC: 3 0:54:30
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? The quickest I can get is 6 hours! How did they get 5?
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Tube Geek wrote:HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? The quickest I can get is 6 hours! How did they get 5?
5hrs 1min 22secs is possible because I have done it.... :P

As for 5hrs and 44 seconds.... :wink:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Have they revealed their route?
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR