The Extremeties Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

If Woodford is to be excluded, I take it that High St Ken would also be excluded (even though it hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet)? It is, after all, a permanent terminus of the Olympia shuttle?
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Indeed, this applies to a number of stations such as Hainault, Chalfont, and many other places.

For example, there is a service pattern which goes something like this off-peak (this is probably the wrong pattern, im just applying some guesswork): Ealing Broadway - Tower Hill; Richmond - Barking; Wimbledon - Upminster; Wimbledon - Edgware Road, Olympia - HSK.

Basically, if we included HSK, it would then probably only be consistent to include Tower Hill and Barking at the same time. As HSK has never been regarded as a terminus (although we know that it actually is) I think it is unlikely that we will include it in this challenge.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Barking is already in because it is the terminus of the H&C.
Edgware Road is also in because it is a terminus on the District line.
I think the challenge should be those termini that are clearly at the end of a line. There are several points where trains do terminate such as Tower Hill, Northfields, Woodford etc... but the point is that trains can pass through them so they are not strictly termini.

Stations such as Barking should count becuase it is clearly the terminus of the H&C line and an H&C train would never continue beyond this point in regular service. However, I believe in this challenge a visit to Barking by District line could count as a visit, whereas for the opposite end of H&C you would have to visit Hammersmith H&C (Pic or District would not count).
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I agree with that, pretty much.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soup Dragon wrote:Barking is already in because it is the terminus of the H&C.
Edgware Road is also in because it is a terminus on the District line.
I think the challenge should be those termini that are clearly at the end of a line. There are several points where trains do terminate such as Tower Hill, Northfields, Woodford etc... but the point is that trains can pass through them so they are not strictly termini.

Stations such as Barking should count becuase it is clearly the terminus of the H&C line and an H&C train would never continue beyond this point in regular service. However, I believe in this challenge a visit to Barking by District line could count as a visit, whereas for the opposite end of H&C you would have to visit Hammersmith H&C (Pic or District would not count).
However the H & C does terminate at a different platform to the district line at Barking so in theory you haven't visited the end terminus :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

you're allowed to use the NLL into Richmond on a GWR attempt.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Going Underground wrote: However the H & C does terminate at a different platform to the district line at Barking so in theory you haven't visited the end terminus :?
That is true but they do share the same station. If we say you have to visit the termini stations using the correct service it would mean having to use the W&C line for Waterloo & Bank and also having to use the ELL for Whitechapel. This would make the challenge longer than it has to be and force you to take certain trains, whereas being allowed to use whichever service you like allows for more cunning routes to be planned.
One day I shall return!