Tubefest 07: Zone 1 Challenge Friday 18th May

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Gasman, you make your point very well indeed! My defense for my view was indeed that the crossing points of lines cannot be assumed to be topologically correct (as they clearly aren't in the Bottle case). I admit that it makes sense with your "lines not crossing zone boundaries except when indicated" definition - in fact I fully agree with your entire line of argument in true Occamish simplicity sprit. I regret having made my Zone 1 comment initially...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

My point is that you are all as mad as a bag of frogs, and besides which this is entirely off topic. I don't care if Neils house is in Zone 2 or located within the Paris metro (I'm sure Starkey could argue a case for that!)
What has any of this nonsense got to do with Z1C 2007??? :evil:
One day I shall return!
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

hey dudes and dudettes, i'm a newbie who's been a quiet observer of you lot for a little while. me and my friend jamesthegill (who's also just signed up) as well as one other will be coming along to the Z1 challenge for the first time! i'm excited already!

i'm sure i'm alone in my curiosity as to who this 'female celebrity starting station picker' is!?! my guess was annie mole but as far as i can see that's been discounted?
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

One bit of advice for any newcomers would be to get a copy of the way out tube map so you know which carriage to be in.

I know this has been said many times before but its invaluable for any challenger.
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

editorsfoot wrote:One bit of advice for any newcomers would be to get a copy of the way out tube map so you know which carriage to be in.

I know this has been said many times before but its invaluable for any challenger.
haha just as well i ordered one off amazon marketplace a few days ago then eh?! :D
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

dudey wrote:hey dudes and dudettes, i'm a newbie who's been a quiet observer of you lot for a little while. me and my friend jamesthegill (who's also just signed up) as well as one other will be coming along to the Z1 challenge for the first time! i'm excited already!

i'm sure i'm alone in my curiosity as to who this 'female celebrity starting station picker' is!?! my guess was annie mole but as far as i can see that's been discounted?
Hi Dudey - welcome to the forum and I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks! Thanks especially for forcing a break in the fascinating discussion about the topology of travelcard zones. :?

As for useful things to do in advance - I'd suggest looking at a real map to work out which stations are close enough to each other to make getting between them on foot possible
jamesthegill wrote: How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?
Just the one, between Sloane Square and Knightsbridge. But you've got to do it in less than 5 minutes before we'd call him a man.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

dudey wrote:
editorsfoot wrote:One bit of advice for any newcomers would be to get a copy of the way out tube map so you know which carriage to be in.

haha just as well i ordered one off amazon marketplace a few days ago then eh?! :D
You pillock, I got mine through earlier today...I think we may need better communication :D I've asked a Z1C veteran for advice, she might be coming along too...she did it last year, you've met her before.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tpfkar wrote:Thanks especially for forcing a break in the fascinating discussion about the topology of travelcard zones. :?
Spoilsport ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Another question:

Do we have to leave the starting station by train? If, for example, one of the Algates is drawn, can we not run to the other one for the first move?

Sorry about all the questions, but I don't want to end up buggering it all up.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

jamesthegill wrote:Another question:

Do we have to leave the starting station by train? If, for example, one of the Algates is drawn, can we not run to the other one for the first move?

No worries James....

The opening gambit and first move must be to depart from the drawn starting station by tube..... after that you can run to other stations if desired but remember you must depart or arrive by tube from all the other stations as well...... :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Dagnabbit *redraws Aldgate route*
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jamesthegill wrote:Another question:

A good question, I was also thinking about possible starting stations where a walk or bus might be advantagous. But Going Underground already confirmed to me verbally that I couldn't do this. :(
One day I shall return!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

i may well be gracing u with my presence again this year! first post on here in a long time too! hello all, missed me?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No.

(We have really).
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

petermiller36 wrote:i may well be gracing u with my presence again this year! first post on here in a long time too! hello all, missed me?
Be good to see you again Pete :D

Hopefully you can make make it and please PM or e-mail me when you know for sure.....

Cheers...... :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold