Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Chris A
Zone 1

Post by Chris A »

Hi, I'm new here. I discovered this site quite by chance and its rekindled an adolescent fancy (many years ago alas) of completing the Tube challenge. I'm keen to come along on the Z1 day and meet as many as possible and hopefully will by then have got a possible route worked out to do the real thing.

Any tips (I've seen the ones posted on the Tube relief page) or any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

I imagine most of my friends would thing this a fairly odd, if not downwright strange, thing to pursue but it strikes me as combing a physical as well as a logical and mathematical challenge. Any thoughts?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

"...it strikes me as combing a physical as well as a logical and mathematical challenge."

Yes, that's exactly what I like about it. I imagine others like it due to the trainspotting feature, but that's not such an interest for me. I just like the thrill of the chase.

You're most welcome to join us on the Zone 1 thing; last year we had about forty-five participants. Now you will no doubt know that we all meet up at Oxford Circus, and then a starting station is drawn from a hat. Well, the easiest way to get a route is to plan a circular route; this way you can use one route for any starting station. Otherwise you have two choices: be organised (like whatshisname) and plan a different route for every starting station, or be happy-go-lucky (like thingummy) and plan a route on the spur of the moment.

Tips ... well, the Tube Relief page pretty much covers the essentials. Before a serious challenge, it's always advisable to go out and try tricky bits out, so that you won't have any problems on the day. Like the Farringdon to Chancery Lane run, for example, which I didn't get right until the fourth attempt!

If you want more specific advice, then ask away!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum..... :D

You are very welcome to join us on Z1 day on 18th May and the exact starting time and meeting point will be confirmed shortly, so keep watching the forum....

I can assure you that there is not time for "train spotting" during a challenge....... :shock: Although some would consider it "geeky" it's not really like that...

As for the Z1 challenge, you have to visit every station within Zone 1 by tube.. You can run between stations or use any form of public transport, but cars and taxis are not allowed...... I think a full list of the rules used to be the main website......

Hopefully see you on the 18th.... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold