Launch points

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Simonguy
Zone 1

Launch points

Post by Simonguy »

I noticed that most attempts start from Amersham/Chesham. I guess because they are the furthest out. But looking at the map and timetables I think West Ruislip is the best point to start. Am I going badly wrong or am I onto something? :?

Would anyone tell me if I were :wink:
Total Victory
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Amersham is the best place to start no question. This is because it takes so long to get out there from anywhere else. Also there is no other line to walk to or get a bus to. That is why you need to start and finish up in that area. Also West Ruislip is very good to change with another line in that area.
Simonguy
Zone 1

Post by Simonguy »

But you could say the same thing about Upminster? And I am hearing a lot about the crippling run from Ickenham to West Ruislip. I am only in the early stages of planning but i think that if you want to beat the 18 hr record you will have to "think out of the box"
Total Victory
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I have thought out of the box and I'm finishing in a Central London station for my attempt.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Simonguy - I just had a thought!

You entitled this topic "Launch points".

You're from Luton.
I'm from Dunstable.

I know what a "Launch Point" is.... you don't, by any chance, frequent the LGC, do you?!

I'm 2-Tone!

(If not, excuse my outburst.)

Amersham/Upminster appear to be the optimal places. Epping could be considered but the Hainault loop throws a spanner in the late-night service works. Morden is a silly place to start/finish. Heathrow seems to me to be viable.

West Ruislip could be launched from/landed at, but I wouldn't personally try that.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

west ruislip can't be lauched from or landed at :? it really really really cant.... epping could work but its questionable. morden no, and wimbledon no aswell... heathrow i think can work though.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

You can start from Heathrow - but if I remember correctly only when T4 opens again! As you really need one of the first two trains out which don't have corresponding bus replacements - or so I am led to believe.

You don't have to finish at Upminster - there are options from there - go investigate.

As for finishing at Amersham - if you can figure the rest of your route out and the day runs to time - it is Mathematically possible not to start or finish at Amersham ;-)
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

I did a bit of looking into this and eventually discarded all but three stations, which I shall leave unidentified.
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

planes
Last edited by geofftech on 18 Jun 2014, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

Crunchy (who I look forward to meeting on Friday) - I also am from Luton and dont know what you are talking about! I know Simon from my old church (about 1/4 of a mile away from Dunstable) but havent seen him for a year or so - gonna be there on Friday, Mr Guy? both coming from luton means starting in the northwest corner of the map is a useful place to start/finish.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Peter, Simon has used the term "launch point" which is used every day by members of the London Gliding Club at Dunstable (and presumably of other gliding clubs for that matter)! I'm a member at said club, so I was wondering if he'd met me before!

I've come up with a route which, at first glance, appeared to be a possible 18 hours. Putting it into Journey Planner and allowing for bad changes, though, it came out as more like 20 hours!

I doubt it's THAT bad, and will be giving it a go this summer.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Simonguy
Zone 1

Post by Simonguy »

Sorry Chaps although I live in Luton I dont know anyone from the Gliding club. Its a very nice trip out though, watching the gliders go round and round and round............

I really thought about this last night, and although I am still intrigued by West Ruislip perhaps Heathrow is the best place to start. Especially if You started at T4 and did some sort of internal transfer on a travelator thingy to T123
Total Victory
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Interesting - from a rules perspective - Obviously you can't just start from T4 by walking away. You'd have to make a "flying" start i.e. arrive on bus to T4 and start the watch(es) when disembarking. Then you'd certainly DO the station, but given the elaborate procedures around start and finish described in the Guinness rules nowadays, I'd say you can't...

Thus, the only way to start from T4 would be to leave on the HX replacement bus...

HÃ¥kan
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

planes
Last edited by geofftech on 18 Jun 2014, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Simonguy
Zone 1

Post by Simonguy »

I hear you guys about T4, the rules seem a bit daft but its better to know now than be crushed later.

I am not totally sure it can be done with t4 out of action, certainly that is the vibe I am getting. I am planning a dry run in the autumn and then a full blown go next spring. I dont expect to succeed because of the T4 thing
and because I am a virgin at this but I think it will hold me in good stead.

Meanwhile back to the drawing board, T4, West Ruislip, Amersham hmmmm............
Total Victory