Tubefest 07 Thursday night challenge - May 17th

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yes, finishing at Vauxhall means that you can start on a more infrequent service at the beginning.

HÃ¥kan, I see what you mean about the Chancery Lane stuff. The only reason that I do not do that run is because I don't like using sub-surface lines more often than I absolutely need to. But that variation could prove to be a winner. Anyway, my saying "I think that my route was optimal" was slightly tongue-in-cheek!

Thank you for the kind words. I must say, though, that three out of the last four changes that I made were sexy beyond belief. With all three of them (Liverpool Street, Sloane Square and Victoria), the train was just coming in as arrived. In fact most of my changes were very lucky.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Well you need a combination of a great route, fitness and good luck to get a record time (as well perhaps as good tube knowledge e.g. carriages which I totally lacked when I set my best time in 2005) So lucky perhaps, but I'm sure the first two are in place.

Anyway, I've resurrected an old project over the last two days - creating what I think for me would be the ultimate/optimal Z1 route. I think I've got it, and it starts nowhere near Southwark. I might have to try it out sometime....
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:Well you need a combination of a great route, fitness and good luck to get a record time (as well perhaps as good tube knowledge e.g. carriages which I totally lacked when I set my best time in 2005) So lucky perhaps, but I'm sure the first two are in place.

Anyway, I've resurrected an old project over the last two days - creating what I think for me would be the ultimate/optimal Z1 route. I think I've got it, and it starts nowhere near Southwark. I might have to try it out sometime....
It sounds to me like someone want's his record back :?:
Oddly enough the 2h51m that myself and Jamie set last year was only our second Z1 and we certainly lacked full knowledge of carriages etc...
Since then I've had 4 more attempts and not even come close to breaking 3 hours, so I must be lacking in route planning or luck.
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

"Anyway, I've resurrected an old project over the last two days - creating what I think for me would be the ultimate/optimal Z1 route. I think I've got it, and it starts nowhere near Southwark." - tpfkar

Does it finish anywhere near Southwark?
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Starkey7 wrote:"Anyway, I've resurrected an old project over the last two days - creating what I think for me would be the ultimate/optimal Z1 route. I think I've got it, and it starts nowhere near Southwark." - tpfkar

Does it finish anywhere near Southwark?
Vauxhall finish. Am I tempted to go for a fast run again? Well, I was trying last week! Maybe my time has passed. Or perhaps it really was all down to that awful District line train.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Ah, you must be starting at Regents Park then.

I don't think that your time has passed. As long as the motivation is still there, you'll be back soon, regaling us with stories of runs across Hyde Park and taking sightseeing buses between stations.

Also I'm tired of doing Zone 1s on my own. You and I, or the Browns and I, should team up next time.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:Ah, you must be starting at Regents Park then.

I don't think that your time has passed. As long as the motivation is still there, you'll be back soon, regaling us with stories of runs across Hyde Park and taking sightseeing buses between stations.

Also I'm tired of doing Zone 1s on my own. You and I, or the Browns and I, should team up next time.
Hear, hear it's more fun in a team :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

BUT - the advantage in running on your own is that you aren't held back by anyone and you don't argue over the route :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA