Points of the Compass Challenge - Fri 16th Feb

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Points of the Compass Challenge - Fri 16th Feb

Post by Going Underground »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Points of the Compass Challenge :D

The concept is to visit every station with a geographical location; North, South, East and West....
A visit comprising arriving or departing each station as per GWR rules...

Stations with actual place names such as; Eastcote, Northwood, Southgate etc do NOT have to be visited......

There are 32 altogether, with a surprisingly equal number split over the 4 points.... :o

Clapham NORTH
Lambeth NORTH
NORTH Acton
NORTH Ealing
NORTH Greenwich
NORTH Harrow
NORTH Wembley

Clapham SOUTH
SOUTH Ealing
SOUTH Harrow
SOUTH Kensington
SOUTH Kenton
SOUTH Ruislip
SOUTH Wimbledon
SOUTH Woodford

Aldgate EAST
Dagenham EAST
Hounslow EAST
Mill Hill EAST :(
EAST Acton
EAST Finchley
EAST Ham
EAST Putney

Hounslow WEST
WEST Acton
WEST Brompton
WEST Ham :D
WEST Hampstead
WEST Harrow
WEST Finchley
WEST Kensington
WEST Ruislip

A map can found on the attached link but my p.c. skills are not as good as the Soup Dragon who is away on hol's at the mo, so you may need a magnifying glass or very good eyesight :shock:

http://pic5.piczo.com/tubedragon/?g=30646038

The meeting/starting station will be HOUNSLOW WEST AT 1300HRS...

I estimate that the challenge will take somewhere between 8 - 9 hours so
we want to be under way no later than 1330hrs......

One last twist on the challenge, IF you have a compass then take a reading of the direction the train was facing when you arrived or departed each station....i.e. Arrived Mill Hill East train facing North East, departed South Kensington train facing West.......This is not a definite rule but just adds something else to the day.....

All welcome to attend either in teams (probably better due to length of challenge) or individually....

Look forward to seeing you on the day :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

If there's a train facing North East at Mill Hill East I think we'll hear about it in the news, see here for why. :wink:
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Yorkie wrote:If there's a train facing North East at Mill Hill East I think we'll hear about it in the news, see here for why. :wink:
I will let you know the compass bearing when I get there :wink:

EDIT I suspect it may closer to NW than NE :P
Last edited by Going Underground on 02 Feb 2007, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

GU, not criticising it, but can I ask how you decide which lines to leave on that map? For example, you (sensibly) include the metropolitan and piccadilly lines as far as Ickenham, presumably for a West Ruislip to Ickenham run. But what if my plan was to knock off Claphams North and South and South, then walk from there to Morden Road, take the tram to Wimbledon and continue up the District line to East Putney and West Brompton -- would the southern end of the Wimbledon branch not be a useful utility? And why did you include the Charing X branch of the Northern line, but only London Bridge to Moorgate of the City branch? And why not include West Hampstead to Wembley Park?

Im just wondering.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Although I can't make it, I was tipped off about the challenge, so have come up with a route. And I thought that the parks stations were badly spaced!

Will be interested to see if any teams go for a similar route, and feel free to PM if seeking ideas...
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jonny wrote:GU, not criticising it, but can I ask how you decide which lines to leave on that map? ?

Im just wondering.
Well Jonny.......

The map is not meant to be a route guide the idea is just to make it easier for everyone to see where the actual stations that need to be visited are located.....

Then the idea is for challengers to look at their own tubes maps, A to Z, TFL website or whatever means and work out their own routes....

The map is not supposed to "spoon feed" possible routes, the whole idea is to come up with the best logistical solution yourself..... :)

So anyone who is coming on 16th Feb is NOT allowed to read jonny's post :shock:

The only other map solution would be to leave the lines for the entire network and just remove the stations NOT to be visited, but this seems a little pointless......
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tpfkar wrote:Although I can't make it, I was tipped off about the challenge, so have come up with a route. And I thought that the parks stations were badly spaced!
At least we don't have to leave every station this time to take a photo :wink:
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Looking forward to it I will be there with my boy. Is there a planned meeting point for after the challenge. So we can compare routes and times.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

nozzacook wrote:Looking forward to it I will be there with my boy. Is there a planned meeting point for after the challenge. So we can compare routes and times.
Good news look forward to seeing you on the day :D

Probably Earls Court McD's but having spoken to a few others that are taking part most challengers seem to be finishing around Ruislip / Harrow area.....

Does anyone know a possible meeting point in this vicinity??

This is going to be a bit messy anyway as I can see the finishers being fairly strung out.....
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Going Underground wrote: At least we don't have to leave every station this time to take a photo :wink:
That makes a significant difference; the beauty of the parks challenge was that it became worthwhile to do some crazy runs such as Hammersmith to Ravenscourt Park just to leave/enter the key stations by foot.

This time it's more about smooth routes in/out of isolated stations such as South Woodford, Aldgate East and West Hampstead.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tpfkar wrote:
Going Underground wrote: At least we don't have to leave every station this time to take a photo :wink:
That makes a significant difference; the beauty of the parks challenge was that it became worthwhile to do some crazy runs such as Hammersmith to Ravenscourt Park just to leave/enter the key stations by foot.

This time it's more about smooth routes in/out of isolated stations such as South Woodford, Aldgate East and West Hampstead.
Yes I think with the extra 8 stations to visit on this challenge and the fact we are starting at 1300hrs doesn't allow us time for anything fancy like that..... also I think that the idea of leaving stations and taking photos should be unique to the park challenge. It gives that challenge its only little "quirky" feel :D
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Hold on a minute, I thought that we were going to sample some fancy new burger joint near Chiswick Park, GU? Is this no longer the case? I was getting myself quite psyched up for it!

I'd like to point out that no-one should be considering the West Ruislip to Ickenham run. On the other hand, running from West Ruislip to Ruislip can certainly be a help. But running to Ickenham just wastes a station.

I may be finishing at Aldgate East, GU. Does this mess dinner time up? Perhaps I shall have to run that little bit faster through the day.

Lastly, has anyone else noticed that whichever way they decide to do the North Harrow to West Harrow run, they only have four-and-a-half minutes? It's looking tight.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey7 wrote:Hold on a minute, I thought that we were going to sample some fancy new burger joint near Chiswick Park, GU? Is this no longer the case? I was getting myself quite psyched up for it!

I'd like to point out that no-one should be considering the West Ruislip to Ickenham run. On the other hand, running from West Ruislip to Ruislip can certainly be a help. But running to Ickenham just wastes a station.

I may be finishing at Aldgate East, GU. Does this mess dinner time up? Perhaps I shall have to run that little bit faster through the day.

Lastly, has anyone else noticed that whichever way they decide to do the North Harrow to West Harrow run, they only have four-and-a-half minutes? It's looking tight.
Well young Starkey unfortunately the fancy burger vouchers we have are only valid Mon-Thurs :(

So we will have to use them some other time.....

We can sort out the meeting place on the day then but if you are planning to finish at Aldgate East then Earls Court is probably as good as anywhere :)

It's anyones guess what time "dinner time" is going to be :shock:

Look forward to seeing you on the 16th :D
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Hey guys,

I know you've already arranged it, but 1330 seems a bit late to start, doesn't it? I would quite like to come, as I haven't really met anyone who joined since Tuberelief but as I live in Rugby I think it will probably finish a little late?

I know its unlikely at this stage, but is there any chance of making it earlier?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jonny wrote:Hey guys,

I know you've already arranged it, but 1330 seems a bit late to start, doesn't it? I would quite like to come, as I haven't really met anyone who joined since Tuberelief but as I live in Rugby I think it will probably finish a little late?

I know its unlikely at this stage, but is there any chance of making it earlier?
Sorry jonny no chance of starting until at least 1300hrs :(

Funnily enough I had a PM from someone who is arriving at Kings X to ask if we could start any later :!:

There is someone arriving from Bath in the morning and 2 of us are working until around 1230 hrs, so 1300 - 1300hrs it will have to be....
I hope you can still get down on the day as would be good to meet you... :D

My route is projected around 8hrs 20 mins, so assuming we start by 1330hrs that would be completed by 2150 hrs...

Not sure what time you need to be at the London terminus to get back to Rugby or perhaps you could get B & B ?