Lunchtime Z1 Thursday 26th Oct.

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Starkey7
All Zones

Lunchtime Z1 Thursday 26th Oct.

Post by Starkey7 »

Some people are accidentally going to do a Zone 1 challenge starting at Southwark at 1:30pm. Such challengers are said to be meeting on the eastbound platform.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

My other question was ... don't you get bored?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I will accidentally be passing Southwark at 1330hrs on Thursday 26th Oct, so just by accident I will get off the train and visit all the stations within Z1... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well Tubeguru, it's becoming more of a social thing now. I've made some great friends doing tube challenging, so things are fast becoming a case of "Let's meet up. Oh and we could do a Zone 1 at the same time."

Besides, when I'm in Bath I tend to miss the Tube a bit...
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Going Underground wrote:I will accidentally be passing Southwark at 1330hrs on Thursday 26th Oct, so just by accident I will get off the train and visit all the stations within Z1... :D
Do you think that you might accidently break 3 hours, and then will you be happy and stop doing all these Z1's? :D
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soup Dragon wrote:
Going Underground wrote:I will accidentally be passing Southwark at 1330hrs on Thursday 26th Oct, so just by accident I will get off the train and visit all the stations within Z1... :D
Do you think that you might accidently break 3 hours, and then will you be happy and stop doing all these Z1's? :D
Yes I have a route to go under 3 hours all being well........and no I will be doing as many as possible to keep fitness and training levels at a premium for full network up-coming attempt :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Sadly three hours was not to be for any of us.

Going Underground, Dr Who, Starkey and myself gathered at Southwark for a 1.30pm start, with us finishing at Vauxhall it was evident there was going to be some duplication of route, or in case of Starkey and I just the same route!

Easy changes at London Bridge and Elephant & Castle saw us make good time with GU and the Dr leaving us at Waterloo. Starkey showed his superior fitness and running, and a good change at Paddington suggested we were on for a fast, perhaps even record breaking time.

The longest run saw Starkey pull ahead, as I ended up one train behind, and then we got to Earls Court. The district had been playing up all day, although I suggested that the Edgware Rd service would be unaffected, next Edgware Rd train ten minutes. Back to Gloucester Road and round the circle meant that the record was off but we could still go sub three hours.

Charging out of the train at Liverpool Street saw us meet up with GU and the Dr, and there is where things went slightly wrong. I followed the Dr and went one way, GU and Starkey went another, leaving the Dr thinking GU had been left behind.

At Aldgate East GU goes running up the stairs where I told him the bad news that the Dr was still at Liverpool St. Things got worse at Aldgate with a 19 minute wait for a circle, but Starkey and I came home with 3:02:59, not bad considering. Sadly GU and the Dr were a DNF.

Personally I think a Southwark start could be even more competitive than a Vauxhall start, but other may disagree.

I also attempted two all lines challenges, one before the Z1, one after. The first went down quickly as a result of severe delays on the H & C, the other saw my right hamstring announce enough was enough and refusing to go any further half way up the stairs at Tower Hill.
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

Sounds like some of the challenges this week have been good. Sadly I haven't been able to really do any challenges this week due to work schedules getting messed around left right and centre.

Maybe a Southwark run with less line delays is a record to look for in the future.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

And surprise surprise, if Ric had made it, he was going to go westbound from Southwark!