Evening Z1 Tuesday 24th Oct.

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Evening Z1 Tuesday 24th Oct.

Post by Going Underground »

Dr Who and I are doing some 275 research next Tuesday and are planning to round the day off with an evening Z1... :)

Anyone who is interested is more than welcome to join us, this will be from Earls Court and the suggested meeting time is 1815hrs at "The Tardis" outside main station entrance for 1830hrs start...

This time can be put back a little later if necessary for anyone coming from work etc..... :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Do you suffer from a disease which makes it impossible for you to travel on the tube without doing a challenge? :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tubeguru wrote:Do you suffer from a disease which makes it impossible for you to travel on the tube without doing a challenge? :-)
Quite possibly.... It's strange how ones perspective on the tube has changed since finding Tube Challenge...
I just used to view it as a means of getting from A to B, something to be tolerated rather than enjoyed like the other 99.9999999% of the millions of journeys made by tube users....

As we are researching during the day why not wind with a couple of hours of fun in the evening?

Also a few other forum members had asked me to post with any challenges that were planned for half term week and there is something in the pipeline for Friday 27th Oct as well :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

So when are you going tell us what is happening next Friday?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

greatkingrat wrote:So when are you going tell us what is happening next Friday?
It believe Dr Who has posted, but the month is wrong.....

I am sure this is supposed to be Friday 27th Oct....link attached....

http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587

post on relevant topic if you can make it :D

edit: There is also another Z1 already arranged by Starkey next Thursday pm from Southwark, so a fair bit going on next week... :D
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Apologies for double post.....

Just going out now for the day researching 275, so if anyone is coming along will meet at 1815 hrs just outside (or inside if raining) Earls Court station
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Do you have a report on the day for those of us who were unfortunately unable to attend?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey7 wrote:Do you have a report on the day for those of us who were unfortunately unable to attend?
I do have a brief report indeed......and apologies if anyone was there on time as due to delays while researching the Shoredicth bus we only got to Earls Court at 1840hrs...

2 x teams Soup Dragon and Ping Pon came home in around 3hrs 14mins ish..........I will let Soup Drgaon tell you but he made another of his schoolboy errors, attempting to run Euston to Euston Sq he saw the roundel of Mornington Crescent in the distance :oops:

G.U. and Dr Who home in 3hrs 5mins 46 secs.... We were on for an absolute belting time possibly sub Ric!
The first 6/7 connections went like clockwork... :)
Our plan included the BR link into Waterloo where due to an earlier de-railment the trains were delayed and we lost over 20 mins at Vauxhall :(
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Going Underground wrote: I will let Soup Drgaon tell you but he made another of his schoolboy errors, attempting to run Euston to Euston Sq he saw the roundel of Mornington Crescent in the distance
It looks like Euston Square is becoming some kind of Bermuda Triangle for Soup Dragon then!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

On reflection (and after looking at a map) I think we were probably running from Euston to Kings Cross, but to be honest it was dark and I was tired and Ping Pon was moaning about having stitch, so I can't be sure. In the end we took 13 minutes from arrival at Euston to departure from Euston Square. Luckily when we got to Euston Square an H&C train for Paddington pulled in, which was exactly what we needed. However it was not enough to save us from defeat in a two-horse race and a poor time of 3:14 ish... (full report and accurate time to follow) :)
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Things started well for our team with a 3 minute change between Bayswater & Queensway, followed by a change of under one minute at Liverpool Street. This took us to Aldgate and a brisk run to Aldgate East the total change taking just over 5 minutes. At Glous Rd we took just over 3 minutes to connect between District & Picacadilly lines. Things had gone very well upto this point but then it all went wrong at Kings Cross. We ran down to the Northern line platform to get a train to Moorgate, next train 8 minutes! So we decided to reverse part of our route and went upstairs for the H&C to Moorgate instead, total change took 5 minutes. Once at Moorgate a quick run down to the Northern line to head back to Kings X, but in total this change took 7 minutes. Whilst on the way to Kings X we decided to continue to Euston and do the run to Euston Square. This was when things went badly wrong, I ran the wrong way out of Euston and was actually running back towards Kings X, eventually I realised the error and we hopped on a bus back to Euston and completed the run to Euston Sq. The whole change took 13 minutes! Our remaining changes all went fairly well apart from the final change at Warren St connecting from Northern Line northbound to Victoria Line southbound, when we had an 8 minute wait. Any chance of a good time was now gone and we eventually finished at Vauxhall in a time of 3:14:43 :(

Some pictures of the Earls Court Z1 are on my site:

http://pic5.piczo.com/tubedragon/?g=23990222
One day I shall return!