Mill Hill East

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Mill Hill East

Post by greatkingrat »

According to the Journey Planner the Mill Hill East service is becoming a shuttle off-peak from Monday 16th October.

In the morning peak the first through train is the 0601 from MHE, and the last is the 0956 from Finchley Central (0939 from Camden Town).

In the evening peak the first through train is the 1605 from MHE, and the last is the 1956 from Finchley Central (1940 from Camden Town)

From a tube challenging POV, the change will not make much difference. It may well work slightly quicker with the shuttle because of the increased reliability and a shorter turnaround time at Mill Hill East.
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Guess this means I will have to put in a new FoI reqeuest for a northern line timetable and a Central Line as well.

Does this mean there is are extra High Barnet trains, if so then it could make that part of the challenge easier.

Will try and test out the shuttle during my next holiday.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

After a quick glance, there seems to be more High Barnet trains which would indeed be the real benefit!

Incidentally, we waited for 9 minutes for a High Barnet train during our attempt the other week! This must be one of the rare occasions Tube Challengers don't want to see "Mill Hill East" first on the DMI...

I'd assume/hope that that the MHE shuttle would typically wait for a High Barnet (destination) train to arrive before it departs, thus minimizing the expected wait time...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

So there goes any sneaky plan involving catching Mill Hill East trains in town, all you can do is head up to Finchley Central then hit and hope.

Of course, no problem if the Mill Hill East shuttles run to a timetable. But I find the idea of MHE trains running to time hard to believe...
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

There is no reason that the MHE shuttle should not run to time - however I do understand that if there is a staff shortage, it is the MHE shuttle that gets the chop and will be replaced by a BUS shuttle.

There are indeed extra trains now going to HB. Before this latest change, 4 out of 16 trains per hour via CX did run to/from Morden. Now all trains running via CX off peak will turn at Kennington.

This plan actually uses one unit extra than the previous scheduling. I understand from my sources that the plan in the long run is to source two short trains purely for the shuttles - possibly old stock from other lines.
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Two? Isn't it single track?
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

maybe one is a spare.

will these trains be double ended?
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Yes - they would need to be double ended.

One would be spare. I have checked with my source and he does not have any further information at the moment.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Myself and Dr Who ventured to Mill Hill East on Saturday as part of our research for Children in Need. What a pointless station it appears to be, I think three passengers got on our train, and the turnaround seemed to take at least 10 minutes, although I did not bother to time this. Hopefully LU close the station permanently before 17th November :)
One day I shall return!
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I have known the turnaround to be as little as the time it takes the driver to change ends - about 3 minutes!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Soup Dragon wrote:Hopefully LU close the station permanently before 17th November :)
And will the replacement bus service you will be forced to use be quicker then??? :wink:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

editorsfoot wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:Hopefully LU close the station permanently before 17th November :)
And will the replacement bus service you will be forced to use be quicker then??? :wink:
Yes the way it's going it will soon be "The Bus Challenge" :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

editorsfoot wrote:
Well I heard a rumour that they will close Mill Hill East and replace it with a new station, Hendon Cemetery Central due to open in 2015, and in the meantime Guiness will say we have to use the bus :lol:
One day I shall return!