Zone 1 Challenge, 15/09/06

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Zone 2

Zone 1 Challenge, 15/09/06

Post by 43019 »

Hi everyone!

I'm doing my first challenge on the Tube system on Friday 15th September 2006. In order to honour tradition, I shall randomly pick a location in Zone 1 to start from at 1400 by Wednesday 13th September.

I do not live in London, something like 170 miles away, so I will be travelling down by rail to London, not being due to arrive until 1300 or so into Paddytoon (favourite nickname for Paddington, FYI), and that is assuming the Malverns and Cotswolds route doesn't suffer delays/cancellations! Due to not being due into London until 1300, 1400 seems perfectly reasonable to get to the starting destination and ensure people meeting us there are present and correct.

The challenge will purely be in Zone 1 to ensure I can cope with the pressure of it all. I did originally want to do a full-blown challenge, but as I'm not the fittest person on Earth, Zone 1 challenges will do me for now!

In any case, if anyone is free in the afternoon on this date, feel free to join in. I'm hoping to get sub 3h 30m, but that'll depend how I fare on the Aldgate East - Aldgate run!
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Further to this, being the co-host of this event.

Would all challengers who wish to participate in this Z1 challenge please can we meet up on Paddington platform 1 (NR station) where you exit for the taxi rank. You will easily recognise this with a statue of Isambard Kingdom Brunel within the wide passageway. Please be there around 1315.

This is where the starting station will be drawn by the event organiser-43019- in true Tube Challenge style. Then we travel to said starting station and start the challenge at 1400.

Upon the completion of your attempt, plaese make your way back to the Paddington meeting point (see above) for a post challenge discussion and possibly a pint.

Anyone fancy joining us?
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Thanks tangy for posting additional details. I was unaware of your username here, so could not quote it.

Should I arrive late into Paddytoon (missed connections due to late-running services/cancellations - I am quoted 5 minutes to change onto a Paddytoon service at Oxford off my service from Great Malvern, which I'm changing at vice Worcester as I want shots of the Turbo in such a rural area! Also need the miles and haulage no doubt, so got to start some way back!), then we shall start accordingly later. Should be there by 1330 at the latest! Updates shall be SMS'd to tangy should it be required. Just don't rely on FGW and CT to get me there on time! I have an ounce of faith in them doing so, but we'll see.

Once I arrive, I'll be getting my usual shot of the unit/loco/power car that hauled me in, then a dash to warm my legs up to the ticket machines to top my Oyster up (only recently found it!) before the meeting with tangy and anyone else.
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Welcome to the tube challenge fora (forums?), 43019! Before you embark on your Zone 1 attempt, I'd suggest that you read some of the recent Zone 1 threads. In various conversations, we've been talking about some of the useful runs that you can do between stations, the best routes, and the best meeting point for drinking tea afterwards.

I'm sadly going back to Bath on the ninth, otherwise I'd definitely be up for this. Nevertheless, I might pop back for the day by accident. We shall see.
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

Starkey7 wrote:Welcome to the tube challenge fora (forums?), 43019! Before you embark on your Zone 1 attempt, I'd suggest that you read some of the recent Zone 1 threads. In various conversations, we've been talking about some of the useful runs that you can do between stations, the best routes, and the best meeting point for drinking tea afterwards.
Useful or you'll be like me and think "lets be fresh and original and stick to the tube and not make frantic dashes around London" before realising these dashes slash time :)

i possibly may be interested in joining you if I can russle up a partner.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I wont be able to accompany you on your attempt, but good luck :)
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Thanks for the comments guys (and girl!). I've read the recent Zone 1 Challenge report, that was rather interesting!

Having now done Fixed Start plans for both Oxford Circus (that was tough!) and Paddington (much easier!), I'll be mighty tempted to do that some time too...

10 days to go, and I cannot wait! In the meantime, I'm forcing myself to go to the gym today and do some serious work on the treadmill! Got to get prepared for the Aldgate East - Aldgate run!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

youth workers curse strikes again! im working from 3-6 that day. sorry boys (and increasing girls!)
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Maybe next time bud!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Wow, you planned an Oxford Circus start? That sounds like a good place to pass through once or twice, but starting there is an entirely different kettle of fish. I was looking at Paddington myself, and trying to get all the surface lines' stations out of the way first, but it just wasn't working. It'd be really nice if you could, though!

By the way, I ought just to point out that there are other runs that are popular! However Aldgate East to Aldgate is admittedly our favourite.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

And my favourite because it's the shortest! :)
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Oh, I beg to differ! Have you tried the Queenswater to Baysway run, as recommended by Going Underground? I do enjoy that one; there are lots of cars and people rushing by and those really interesting people who hold up signs saying "Pizza joint open" and "Golf sale". And it's only 0.13 miles long, according to my bike's mileometer...
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

No I havnt tried that one (not yet).

Watch this space....
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Which Paddington are you starting at?
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Woah woah, these are Fixed Start plans, which I've only drafted for the duration! Next Friday's run will be randomly chosen to start at.

OXC Fixed Start, well I randomly chose that to make a plan from. It was rather difficult too! I doubt I'll be trying that any time soon!

Paddytoon Fixed Start, that was so much easier to plan, although involves a few double-backs, which will probably add 15m+ to the time. As for which I'd start at, it would be the Circ/Dist platforms, getting the run to the H+C platforms out of the way quickly.