Zone 1 Challenge - 28th July

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Starkey7 wrote:Maybe I could double back from Leicester Square...
That's probably it! (Unless Piccadilly Circus is a quicker change...)
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

HÃ¥kan, I've had a butcher's at your suggestion of running from Regents Park to Warren Street, but I still don't think that that'll save any time. You've still got the Goodge Street run, and also a Charing Cross double-back, which means two extra changes. The time you'd save by not repeating four stations is thus probably wasted.

Alternatively, you could do the Regents Park to Goodge Street run, thence to Charing Cross, thence back to Leicester Square, thence to Russell Square and thence back down to Knightsbridge. But this time, there are far too many repeated stations.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I seriously doubt anyone will be able to get a better time using that route now - you'd have to get nil connection times at every point to beat it.

BUT, I do still think the record is break-able, using a different route. Ric has showed that you can get a good time using a route with lots of changes - having seen the route, it's a case of more changes, less distance travelled. So if you could get travels a lot less, then it could beat your time, but there would also be a greater chance of it going horribly over it.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Hmmm maybe you're right. But remember that the more times you use the Circle line, the more you crank up your time...

Is Ric's route available for me to have a butcher's at, or is it all cloak and dagger stuff?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:Will this video footage of me desperately holding the doors open while you two calmly messed about with camera equipment be available?
Unfortunately this particluar piece of video footage didn't come out as we expected :(

It is just a blur and you cant make anything out really....so you are not incriminated :D

We do have some brief footage of you dashing off to the train you held in question at Bank, you soon disappear out of sight as we struggle to go the "Starkey" pace :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well it was a good job that I did, eh? Sorry to hear about that bit of video; it looks like that palaver will just have to linger in our (and those confused commuters') memories!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Starkey7 wrote:...the more times you use the Circle line, the more you crank up your time
That's exactly it - you need good connections to make it worthwhile. I'll let you in to one of my routes here: I start on the Circle line and then use it once more later in the day. If the connection is only a couple of minutes, I'll have saved a few minutes I would have journeyed between some of the further apart stations on the Circle line.
Starkey7 wrote:Is Ric's route available for me to have a butcher's at, or is it all cloak and dagger stuff?
He seemed quite protective of it before he showed it to me - and that was only because he dragged me along on an attempt! Perhaps it'll be made available now that it's not the numero uno time.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Ah I know. It's one of your famous little tricks, isn't it? I reckon you stand on the Piccadilly line platform at Kings Cross, wait for a Cockfosters train to come in, then phone your mate who's at Paddington (Circle platform). Then you go off to Aldgate East, wait for your other friend who's coming from Temple, and then charge off to the Central line train at Liverpool Street which you saw leaving for Epping fifty minutes earlier, and you just manage to catch that same Circle train at Bayswater that your friend was on. I don't think that I'd be able to do that much planning myself though!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Eh?

EDIT: Besides, what would I be doing at Aldgate East on a Bottle Challenge? I suppose I did visit Euston on the TCD...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well you have a penchant for standing on a platform and looking at the indicator, and dashing off somewhere totally different when "Circle line - 2 minutes" comes up! And annoyingly that tactic seems to pay off!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Well... I am a genius :D