National Rail challenge?

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
A2
Zone 4

Re: National Rail challenge?

Post by A2 »

(at the start of this thread Waterloo International was being mentioned as a specific station - this thread is almost 10 years old - just thought I'd mention)
- Andrew
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

A2 wrote:(at the start of this thread Waterloo International was being mentioned as a specific station - this thread is almost 10 years old - just thought I'd mention)
wow i hardly even seen that im still surprised that havent opened up those extra platforms at waterloo yet seems more like a ghost station now!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
A2 wrote:(at the start of this thread Waterloo International was being mentioned as a specific station - this thread is almost 10 years old - just thought I'd mention)
wow i hardly even seen that im still surprised that havent opened up those extra platforms at waterloo yet seems more like a ghost station now!
They have... they just aren't used very frequently.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Indeed I have arrived and departed Ashford (Surrey) on the new ones
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

to show im serious about visiting all railway stations i have begun route planning visit https://www.facebook.com/ads/growth/aym ... page_panel
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

It might be the case that since stations are open and closing all the time there is no record to speak of. This might mean you can choice the rules. Plus it means no one can break the record unless they did an attempt the same year!

My basic rules would be:

All open NR stations count which a TOC trains serves
So no LU, Tyne and Wear, DLR, Glasgow Metro, Heritage railways, Trams etc
Clock keeps running
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Although you can come up with a route in theory, in practice it will be much harder.

One small delay of a few minutes might cause you to miss an hourly service, which in turn means you miss the last train of the day to stop at some obscure village and before you know it your plan has gone completely out the window.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

greatkingrat wrote:Although you can come up with a route in theory, in practice it will be much harder.

One small delay of a few minutes might cause you to miss an hourly service, which in turn means you miss the last train of the day to stop at some obscure village and before you know it your plan has gone completely out the window.
HENCE my plan is very lax on the timing front
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

That is very, very lax. I see you've got three sleeper trains in a row for the overnights, but what are you planning to do once you've knocked off the entirety of Scotland and Cornwall and are back in London, with things like the entirety of Wales? You're going to have some pretty exhausting nights at the end of it.

Also, are you planning to use the Ffestiniog Railway? Because I have to ask what it is doing at 52.960037, -3.968801 - look up where it goes on Google Maps.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
palkanetoijala31

dont forget hugo you can also use the stop off points such as carlisle crwe preston etc as loops around that area i even have reddish south and denton covered from preston
palkanetoijala31

the sleepers are being used otherwise you have to pay for accomodation you can either have it one way or the other for exqample keeping costs down by using the sleepers makes sense to me sleep on the train do scotland and london area together like a twin.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

The Orange One wrote:Also, are you planning to use the Ffestiniog Railway? Because I have to ask what it is doing at 52.960037, -3.968801 - look up where it goes on Google Maps.
Not sure what you're getting at. It appears to visit Dduallt station then loop round over itself. Looping around is quite common on mountain railways, isn't it?
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:the sleepers are being used otherwise you have to pay for accomodation
You still need to pay for a berth don't you? Otherwise you must be a good sleeper to sleep on a seat night after night!

Fair play to you for trying it though - I'd love to but doubt I'll get the chance.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
palkanetoijala31

al wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:the sleepers are being used otherwise you have to pay for accomodation
You still need to pay for a berth don't you? Otherwise you must be a good sleeper to sleep on a seat night after night!

Fair play to you for trying it though - I'd love to but doubt I'll get the chance.
i can sleep on seats easily the extra payment isnt that much if u want a bit of comfort
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
al wrote:

i can sleep on seats easily the extra payment isnt that much if u want a bit of comfort
Yes it would be worth the extra money though I will never do the challenge as it is quite extreme.
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Well a certain tube challenger who prefers to remain nameless is actually writing off to guinness to see if this record is still acceptable,what the rules are on request stops etc? can u stop the watch at the end of day?
I don't think that the stopwatch would be stopped as you could get Night buses/Sleepers overnight.
palkanetoijala31 wrote:what is the actual current record? how many actual stations are there? and what is included is london underground included doubt it etc.
I don't think that London Underground/Tyne and Wear Metro/The Merseyside Metro would count as they aren't kept in working conditions by Network Rail but by, for example, Transport for London
palkanetoijala31 wrote:IS there anybody willing to actually try this out its a route really not for runners but walkers of course as the fatigue factor would be involved.

i have a rudimentary route that i have been working on for years just wondered if anybody fancies it or has even thought about it?

a 14 day all line rover standard class is £724 less if u have railcards etc obviously some accommodation would have to be paid for and we take advantage of all the sleeper trains possible.
It is quite expensive as £724 is a lot and with Hotels/Sleepers surcharges/Bus Travel/Underground/Metro even if a Travelcard is used.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000