Tube Bicycle Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Sillert, V.I.
Zone 2

Tube Bicycle Challenge

Post by Sillert, V.I. »

Just had an idea for yet-another alternative challenge.

The name basically gives it away; the idea is to travel to/from or through all those stations where it's legal to do so accompanied by a bicycle.

Additionally, all travel between stations (other than by tube) MUST be done using said cycle.

The byelaws relating to the carriage of cycles on the tube are to be strictly followed.

All other GWR rules apply.

In particular, this would appear to preclude doing this challenge on a weekend (avoiding some of the byelaw limitations) due to the need to visit Cannon Street.

I haven't really thought this through yet, though it appears to have some interesting logistics, as it will be necessary to avoid travelling certain parts of the route in peak hours; the following is taken from the Tfl website:

"Bicycles can be taken free of charge on some sections of the underground network outside peak times. Peak times are 07.30 - 09.30 and 16.00 - 19.00, Monday to Friday, except for public holidays.

In certain cases, as listed, bicycles may also be taken during rush hour in the opposite direction to the majority of travellers."

This link should get you the appropriate map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/tube- ... cles1b.pdf

Thoughts, anyone?
"What comes around, goes around" (sic!)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Why not just do something like Zone 1 by bike?

You simply cycle round London passing each tube station in turn. No tube trains allowed and it will keep you fit, you lazy bastards!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Are Bromptons & similar folding bikes allowed at all stations?
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think so.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

is this map basically just done on whatever is overground or sub-surface?
Sillert, V.I.
Zone 2

Post by Sillert, V.I. »

is this map basically just done on whatever is overground or sub-surface?
It would seem so. The link points directly to the Tfl website & so I am assuming it reflects the current position.

Just a guess, but could this be something to do with the ability to easily detrain the passengers if the train got stuck in a tunnel? If so, what about the single track tunnels on the Met line between Finchey Road & Baker St??

And scrutinising this map more closely reveals that the dreaded Shoreditch is still shown as a part of the network where cycles are permitted. However, I seem to remember that "cycles cannot be conveyed on replacement bus services"!
"What comes around, goes around" (sic!)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, I'm going to bump this one up again because now I have my new bike, I may well give this a go. It's a Brompton, but the fold-up-ability of it won't enter into this challenge because I've decided to ban myself from using any transport apart from the bike.

I won't use the tube at all - all 64 stations above ground level by bike. I have no idea how long it will take so I'd have to draw up a quick route.

I was planning this with Geoff and another friend last year but it didn't go anywhere so now I think I may resurrect it.

My rough and ready "rules" will be something like the following:

1. You must ride past each tube station ENTRANCE on your bike, stop and take a picture (see 2). Get as close as possible to each station building/entrance. No zoom lenses from 200 metres away unless it is impossible to reach the station (which I don't think it is for any of the 64 Zone 1 stations). Roads run past each one unless I am mistaken.

2. Take a picture of each station in turn from as close as possible.

3. No cars, trains, tubes, buses, MOTOR bikes, etc. Bicycles only. You can walk with the bike if you're knackered and need a rest but you won't finish very quickly!

4. The jumping of traffic lights and cutting up of other road users is undertaken at your own risk. I stop at traffic lights on my bike - I want to live! Plan a route that avoids large junctions to get a faster time. Side streets are invaluable here. Don't forget your A to Z!

5. Er, that's it.

It's just a bit of fun innit?

Member of sweet FA
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

well if you are going to have a bike challenge why not have a disabled challenge i no the sounds silly but it would be were you vist all station with Step-freeaccess from the platform to the street basically all the station on the map with the disabled sign on :lol:
One has lost the game !!!!!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I have a route from Angel to Vauxhall that is approx 45km in distance so you will have to be pretty fit to attempt this!

I guess the best time to attempt this would be at 2am on Christmas Day to minimize the traffic.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I got a plain old mountain bike and like the sounds of this one :D

My biggest logistcal challenge would be getting to the starting station and home again from the finishing station without cycling all the way :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

ping pon wrote:well if you are going to have a bike challenge why not have a disabled challenge i no the sounds silly but it would be were you vist all station with Step-freeaccess from the platform to the street basically all the station on the map with the disabled sign on :lol:
I'm currently working on the idea Tube Olympics whereby we cram as many events into two weeks as possible. I had not given any thought to those with a disablilty, so perhaps it would be a good idea to offer a Paralympic Tube Challenge as well.

Back on topic... The bike challenge sounds like a good idea, and would certainly be a bit better for your health if done at the right time of day. I reckon a nice early Sunday morning in the summer would be good, sunrise is before 5am so plenty of time before there is too much traffic.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've got a 30 mile ride from Vauxhall to Old Street.

Yes, an early start is essential.

Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Soup Dragon wrote:I'm currently working on the idea Tube Olympics whereby we cram as many events into two weeks as possible. I had not given any thought to those with a disablilty, so perhaps it would be a good idea to offer a Paralympic Tube Challenge as well.
How about three-legged all lines? You know, like a normal all-lines challenge, but people pair up and have two legs tied together.

(That was the best suggestion for a Paralympic challenge I could come up with without offending anyone)