Berlin U-Bahn challenge?

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Rudi Rastlos
Zone 1

Re: Berlin U-Bahn challenge?

Post by Rudi Rastlos »

We did it: Guinness World Record for the Berlin U-Bahn Challenge!

It was actually some time ago (2nd May), but it took us a while to edit all the evidence needed for Guinness to confirm the record.

Time: 7:33,15h.

Start: Rudow. Finish: Hönow.
We experienced some delays and missed connections, also at the time the southern end of the U8 was still closed, so we did these stations by bus.

Here's an online article in a Berlin Newspaper: http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/berliner ... nness-buch
And the link to Guinness: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... o-stations
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Well done!! I thought Guinness only counted London and New York, very pleased to be proven wrong.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
taro85
Zone 1

Post by taro85 »

Hi all,

sorry for the late follow up. Tried a second Berlin *S-Bahn* ride: 15h 04 min. I had some math savy people in the team this time who calculated an optimal itinerary, which would be 13h 44 min - at the beginning we were even faster than that because we luckily caught a zero-minute changing time connection. So perhaps the real optimum is somewhere around 13h 20 min.

The delay is due to hurrican "Felix" which collapsed a few trees that blocked some lines for several hours. Eventually we covered the whole network and stopped at every station but two (Lankewitz and Südend on the S25).

Here's a short report on the event: http://www.zib.de/node/1580. Will try to start negotiations with Guinness soon!

And here's some video footage from the first ride (17h 1 min) back in June 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e599pT79HcI

Cheers,
David
taro85
Zone 1

Post by taro85 »

snudge27 wrote:Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the missed connection at Oranienburg - what do you reckon your time would have been had you made it?

How did you manage the other less-well-served stretches like Strausberg-Strausberg Nord, Zeuthen-Königs Wusterhausen, and Blankenburg-Hohen Neuendorf?

Where did you start and finish?
Hi! Back then we started and ended at Bornholmer Straße, which was convenient because most of us lived close by, but not the best decision in terms of timing. On the second attempt (see newest post) we startet at Strausberg Nord to safe time of going there.

The missed Oranienburg connection cost us about 20 min, but had some more mistakes...
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Rudi Rastlos wrote:We did it: Guinness World Record for the Berlin U-Bahn Challenge!

It was actually some time ago (2nd May), but it took us a while to edit all the evidence needed for Guinness to confirm the record.

Time: 7:33,15h.

Start: Rudow. Finish: Hönow.
We experienced some delays and missed connections, also at the time the southern end of the U8 was still closed, so we did these stations by bus.

Here's an online article in a Berlin Newspaper: http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/berliner ... nness-buch
And the link to Guinness: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... o-stations
Massively annoying to read that Guinness have changed their stance - back in 2010 when I did it I was given very short shrift.

Given how close your official record time is to my previous unofficial record, I may well have to head back to Berlin and give it another try!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

does anybody have a good readable map link to the u bahn only as i cant seem to find one.
palkanetoijala31

I think that the s bahn shouldn't be considered a world record especially if two stations were missed out by the account of it! keep the u bahn my attempt will be in spetember!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Andi

How did you get on in September? I'm guessing from the lack of update on the Guinness website that you missed out?

I'm off to Berlin in March and, given that my original time was less than 2mins slower than the current GWR, with lots of room for improvement, I may well give the record another stab.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

That doesn't mean anything... it took from May to January for Guinness to recognise Andi's London record....

That said, I didn't think Guinness recognised Berlin - I thought they only recognised London and New York.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

My Berlin attempt is planned for this year the only challenge left before permanently retirement
palkanetoijala31

An update on this is planned for July my birthday time a few days of sightseeing plus an attempt or two.
palkanetoijala31

ok for those purists of tube challenge here is proposed andi future attempts berlin flight planned attempt Nov 28th in three weeks time new York sometime in 2017 and finally retiring with a Paris media attempt planned late 2017.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Subject to verification, the record's now 7:08:18
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Iain wrote:Subject to verification, the record's now 7:08:18
does this mean someone has broken the record? and whom has broken it?
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I think there may be a hint in the post above Iain's....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!