Tube Challenge Day

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here

Would you be interested in a mini-marathon of Tube Challenging?

Yes, definitely
33%
Yes, but it depends on when it is
46%
No
21%

Total votes: 24

petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

i'll be up for doing this. make sure its 10:30ish so that us cheap skates can survive! Im working on my fitness so watch out!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Right, time for an UPDATE.

I propose a date of the 17th of July (Monday week).

We will be doing three Challenges in one day. You may compete either on your own or in a team, and the team with the lowest combined time at the end will be declared the overall winner. There will also be a winner of each event.

Here is the plan for the day:

1030 - meet outside North Greenwich station. The draw for the starting station for the Bottle and Zone 1 Challenges will take place. This means that, in the event of someone falling behind on one of the events, they will know where to go for the next one. We will be heading off as soon as the draw has been made - don't be late!

1100 - start of the South London Challenge. We can all start at North Greenwich. This should make the Challenge shorter and easier than it would be were we to start from a random station, which will be good seeing as nobody has done it before.

1500 - start of the Bottle Challenge

1830 - start of the Zone 1 Challenge

2200 - meet at the usual pub (near Bond Street and Baker Street stations). Results will be announced at 2230.

If you finish any event early, head to the start point of the next event. The day has been structured to allow time for everyone to congregate at the next event before it starts.

Should anyone be in the position where they are drastically behind and in danger of not making it to the next challenge, I encourage them to abandon their current challenge and try and be on time for the next one. Make a note of how many stations you have missed - it may be less than other teams! If you do not turn up on time for an event, they may still attempt it but they will suffer a 20 minute time penalty.

You must be responsible for keeping your own timings - bring pen & paper to write down all your times, and of course a stopwatch or a watch with a 'second' hand. Bring a mobile phone if possible, and make sure someone who isn't on your team has your phone number in case we lose you.

The final standings will be determined firstly by number of stations missed, then time. So, for example, a time of 10 hours with no stations missed would beat a time of 9 hours with 1 station missed.

Please post in this thread if you will be entering. Feel free to bring team-mates who are not on these forums, too. If you do not have a team, you should be able to join up with someone on the day.

The date can be changed if nobody else can make it, but otherwise I think it'd be good to have a firm date for it now.
Last edited by Root on 05 Jul 2006, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Root wrote:Right, time for an UPDATE.

I propose a date of the 19th of July (next Friday).

We will be doing three Challenges in one day. You may compete either on your own or in a team, and the team with the lowest combined time at the end will be declared the overall winner. There will also be a winner of each event.

Here is the plan for the day:

1030 - meet outside North Greenwich station. The draw for the starting station for the Bottle and Zone 1 Challenges will take place. This means that, in the event of someone falling behind on one of the events, they will know where to go for the next one. We will be heading off as soon as the draw has been made - don't be late!

1100 - start of the South London Challenge. We can all start at North Greenwich. This should make the Challenge shorter and easier than it would be were we to start from a random station, which will be good seeing as nobody has done it before.

1500 - start of the Bottle Challenge

1830 - start of the Zone 1 Challenge

2200 - meet at the usual pub (near Bond Street and Baker Street stations). Results will be announced at 2230.

If you finish any event early, head to the start point of the next event. The day has been structured to allow time for everyone to congregate at the next event before it starts.

Should anyone be in the position where they are drastically behind and in danger of not making it to the next challenge, I encourage them to abandon their current challenge and try and be on time for the next one. Make a note of how many stations you have missed - it may be less than other teams! If you do not turn up on time for an event, they may still attempt it but they will suffer a 20 minute time penalty.

You must be responsible for keeping your own timings - bring pen & paper to write down all your times, and of course a stopwatch or a watch with a 'second' hand. Bring a mobile phone if possible, and make sure someone who isn't on your team has your phone number in case we lose you.

The final standings will be determined firstly by number of stations missed, then time. So, for example, a time of 10 hours with no stations missed would beat a time of 9 hours with 1 station missed.

Please post in this thread if you will be entering. Feel free to bring team-mates who are not on these forums, too. If you do not have a team, you should be able to join up with someone on the day.

The date can be changed if nobody else can make it, but otherwise I think it'd be good to have a firm date for it now.
Can you just confirm if this will be held on Friday 14th or Wednesday 19th July? Thanks :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

EDIT: This post has now become completely meaningless. It will be the 17th of July.
Last edited by Root on 05 Jul 2006, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

sorry guys - i cant make that date. thats the date when im quitting my job.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Likewise I also cannot make this as I will be in Oslo at the time!
Good luck to everyone taking part in it though, I will be interested to hear how the South London Challenge goes!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Pete: So you wouldn't be able to make next week at all?
Seeing as the only people who have expressed a definite interest are Yourself, Kevin, Adham, Anthony and I, we can't really afford to lose people due to non-availability!

I suppose Monday the 17th would work too.
Last edited by Root on 05 Jul 2006, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

yeah that week is fine (the missus is away). 17th works for me for that day. 19th for the full thing.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

petermiller36 wrote:yeah that week is fine (the missus is away). 17th works for me for that day. 19th for the full thing.
If (big if) I can make it and trust me I would like to, 17th is better :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

-Sigh- okay, 17th it is.

And Pete, do you want to use that day to discuss our Full Attempt? We can team up and discuss it as we go round.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

yes sounds good. problem with the 19th though. see relevant thread...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yes count me in please; this sounds a good laugh.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Bugger and bugger again, I can't get the day off work :evil:

Ollie please let me know how the day goes and maybe we can do this again sometime :D
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Try eating a dozen raw eggs before the day - Salmonella is a small price to pay for the day off work and a day out Tube Challenging :D.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

:lol: Yeah that's one idea.....might slow you up a bit during the day though with toilet breaks :roll: