Bottle Challenge Question

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

I agree with Neil. I dont care, never done the challenge and never will do. I see it almost as pointless as the alphabet challenge. Put it to the vote though, surely its geographical right?? LU could change the map all the time and put E&C in the bottle if they wanted to, where as they cant physically move a station and put in put inside the circle line. i make sense, and you know it.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

He's got a point, y'know.

In fact, that's basically what I was getting at, only I didn't bother to actual express it in the form of words.

It's called the bottle challenge, so base it on what's inside the shape of the bottle on the underground map. Ok, it's still bottle-shaped on the London Connections map, but that isn't used nearly as much as the regular good ole' London Underground, map, so I say go with that and include them.

End of. Period,
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

This is what I mean - everyone who has an opinion is very sure of it. If we're to keep track of the best times we need to have a final decision - sorry Pete, but I don't think you can just end the discussion like that. I think a definitive poll is the way forward, for those of us that care!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I agree with Ollie, after all we have a Sticky; "Top times Circle Line Bottle Challenge" If you have an interest in the challenge or not (as voiced by some members) we must all be "singing from the same song sheet" as to what stations are to be included for our forum rules, even if this challenge is just a bit of fun :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Root wrote:This is what I mean - everyone who has an opinion is very sure of it. If we're to keep track of the best times we need to have a final decision - sorry Pete, but I don't think you can just end the discussion like that.
I didn't - the comma after "Period" was me trying to be funny!

You don't seriously think I expect people to take what I say even remotely seriously, do you? :D
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

gasman wrote:Butbutbut... how can it be a Bottle Challenge if you're basing it on the geographical layout that looks nothing like a bottle? :)
Drop the bottle first. :wink:
- Andrew
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

i think, as far as i know, everyone prior to this conversation has included the 2 stations, so it would make sense to continue doing that.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Tube Challenging is a sport and any sport has to have a set of rules, whether it's the 275 challenge or Zone 1 or whatever, we should all stick to the same rules. Its great to have a variety of challenges as in running 100m, 200m, 400m etc., I see each challenge as a different distance race which will suit different challengers. I say we put it to the vote and IMHO it should be 48 stations with Edgware Rd and Marylebone excluded. Perhaps the next step is to get tube challenging into the 2012 games :D
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Aside from some early Beck maps, Edgeware Rd Bakerloo and Marylebone have fairly consistently appeared outside the bottle in the diagram, until May 2001 when they moved inside.

The 'bottle' representation of the Circle Line was an invention of Paul E Garbutt (who designed the diagram from 1962 to some time in the 1980s). He was consistent in putting Edgeware Rd Bakerloo and Marylebone outside the bottle.

I therefore propose that as Garbutt invented the Bottle we should stick to his rules and those 2 stations should not be included.

Also the challenge needs to be renamed: I think Garbutt called the new shape a 'Thermos Flask' rather than a bottle.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Just wanted to add my tuppence worth.

Think people .. think .. why is it called the BOTTLE challenge.

Because we are refering to the map, and looking at the circle line at the shape of a bottle. So when I christened the phrase "bottle challenge" it was because I was going by what the map represented - and that includes the stations inside is whether they're physically in it or not.

If you want to have a challenge which purtains to the real/geographical layout of the stations, then call it the "Geographical Circle Line Challenge" or similar, but use of the word bottle relates to the map as we look at it and all the stations within!

Simple as that.. :-)
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

geofftech wrote:... when I christened the phrase "bottle challenge" it was because I was going by what the map represented...
Trouble is, the map can change even if the network doesn't.

And it represents a thermos flask.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Map hasn't changed though (in terms of the two stations being discussed) since the inception of this challenge though.

I quite like the fact that if the map changes, then so does the challenge!
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

It's a silly name for it then, giving the shape of the map credence. It should just be called the circle line challenge- all stations within that geographically.
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.