Bottle Challenge Question

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Dr Who
Zone 6

Bottle Challenge Question

Post by Dr Who »

On some maps Edgware Road and Marylebone on the Bakerloo line are show as being inside the bottle..

Do they need to be visited during a bottle challenge :?:

Also if you only choose to visit the Northern line at Embankment is this considered as being part of/inside the Bottle, as the interchange shows the Northern line as just being outside :?
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I thought you would know all this Doctor, and not have to ask us mere humans!

Convention is that YES you have to visit Marylebone and Edgware Rd (Bakerloo).

Haven't thought about embankment, but as it's definitely one station, and the bottle challenge is about visiting all stations on/inside the bottle, I would imagine that would be fine.
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Cheers tpfkar :D
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I'm rebellious enough to say no, you don't have to do Marylebone and Edgware Road B. Maps change all the time, which is why we should set the boundaries geographically. If I were ever to do a serious Bottle challenge on my own, I wouldn't do them.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I didn't do them once (without realising they ever appeared inside the bottle), and got a respectable time, and then got home and realised.
Everyone told me I had done it wrong.
Follow the rules, Ollie!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Oooh Controversy, in tennis terms (Wimbledon approaching) that makes the score 15-15 :)

Well having looked at the actual map and seeing that both of these are outside "The Bottle" I would tend to agree with Ollie, so the score is now 15-30. Would anyone like to try and make it 30-30 :wink:

Not sure what the answer is on Embankment though if Northern line is your only visit there :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

i think i got there just before you, GU, 30-30 it is.

Oh, and to make it 40-30 to the law abiding ones of us i will point out the 'official' tubechallenge.com bottle challenge map.

EDIT: I think TG removed it after Geoff's copyright polava. (sp?)
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Confused.com on this one then :?

Would appreciate confirmation prior to attempt this coming Friday, perhaps the "Guru" can clarify :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I agree Doctor, it's very confusing becuase LU have different maps and some clearly show Marylebone & Edgware Road (Bakerloo) as inside the bottle. However that would make 50 stations, whereas the un-official record states 48 stations. The oldest tube map I can find is dated 1984 and it has these two stations outside the bottle, so I reckon we go with that.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Neil does not make the rules for this kind of event, whether he likes it or not! Neither does Guinness for that matter - it is a "fun", non-competitive event and so the rules can be whatever we want them to be. I think it's about time we had an official poll to canvass opinion and give people a guideline - it's not very fair if we have a "Top Times - Bottle Challenge" thread where some people have done that section of the Bakerloo and some haven't, unless we make separate lists. If the people vote to say we have to do it, I will do it, but otherwise I won't.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Root wrote:Neil does not make the rules for this kind of event, whether he likes it or not! Neither does Guinness for that matter - it is a "fun", non-competitive event and so the rules can be whatever we want them to be.
Well true, but if it's going to exist as an event, serious or fun, then it helps to stick by the same set of rules. Obviously they are geographically outside the bottle (circle line), and also they are shown as outside on the London Connections map as well. But at the end of the day on the regular tube map, used by thousands of people every day, and by far the most used map of the London Underground, they're inside, so to include them would get my vote.
Root wrote: I think it's about time we had an official poll to canvass opinion and give people a guideline - it's not very fair if we have a "Top Times - Bottle Challenge" thread where some people have done that section of the Bakerloo and some haven't, unless we make separate lists. If the people vote to say we have to do it, I will do it, but otherwise I won't.
Like I sadi - including them gets my vote.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Root wrote: I think it's about time we had an official poll to canvass opinion and give people a guideline - it's not very fair if we have a "Top Times - Bottle Challenge" thread where some people have done that section of the Bakerloo and some haven't, unless we make separate lists. If the people vote to say we have to do it, I will do it, but otherwise I won't.
I vote Geographically, exclude :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:Neil does not make the rules for this kind of event, whether he likes it or not!
I couldn't give a shit to be honest with you :-)

It's a "novelty" challenge to me ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Exclude. Geography, changing maps and common sense prevail. Well, OK, so common sense is a bit of a tenuous one.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Butbutbut... how can it be a Bottle Challenge if you're basing it on the geographical layout that looks nothing like a bottle? :)

You'd have to rename it the Slightly-Squashed-Bagpipes Challenge.