NEW ACCOUNT REGISTRATIONS - READ THIS!

Check here for important announcements
tubeguru
Site Administrator

NEW ACCOUNT REGISTRATIONS - READ THIS!

Post by tubeguru »

Just recently, we've been receiving a huge number of account registrations from Russian spambots. They are all easily able to evade the CAPTCHA anti-spambot measure, so I've changed it so that everyone registering for an account now has to answer a question. Note that none of these bots will ever make it onto the forum, as it has always been my policy to personally activate EVERY account application over the last 19 years. The tedium lies in deleting all the applications from the list :lol:

The question has been set to something fairly simply for now, although it could be considered an easy riddle. Hopefully it will stop a lot of the bots from being able to register, but if it doesn't I may need to make the question harder, or add other questions.

I'll be keeping an eye on it ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: NEW ACCOUNT REGISTRATIONS - READ THIS!

Post by greatkingrat »

Just had a look at the form and I can't see a question at all? It just asks what the answer is without saying what the question is.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

greatkingrat wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 19:18 Just had a look at the form and I can't see a question at all? It just asks what the answer is without saying what the question is.
I should delete your account for not being able to work it out ... :lol:

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

UPDATE - since I changed the anti-spambot measure to the question you now see, we have had precisely ZERO applications from Russian bots.

I trust that real humans aren't too stupid to not be able to answer it though :lol:

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 09:18 UPDATE - since I changed the anti-spambot measure to the question you now see, we have had precisely ZERO applications from Russian bots.

I trust that real humans aren't too stupid to not be able to answer it though :lol:
Have you had any applications from real humans?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 17:47
tubeguru wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 09:18 UPDATE - since I changed the anti-spambot measure to the question you now see, we have had precisely ZERO applications from Russian bots.

Have you had any applications from real humans?
No, but account applications from real humans only come along every few weeks. We're hardly the busiest site on the internet.

However, as I have had zero applications from bots, I may now change the question to have an actual "real" answer, just to see if it stays quiet. If humans can't answer the new question, then they shouldn't really be allowed to use the internet ...

Member of sweet FA