R15 Twist Idea - Wildcard

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
hopeful traveller
All Zones

R15 Twist Idea - Wildcard

Post by hopeful traveller »

I have talked about this in the pub in the last two challenges and I still maintain it is an excellent idea.

One of the stations in the 15 is from Zone 4 (or 5 or 6 if we're feeling really evil). You may not finish at that station - i.e. it must not be the last of the 15 stations you visit. (If it is the last one in the 15 you visit, your clock will not stop until you revisit one of the other 14.)

For example, let us say Woodford is the wildcard, and Liverpool Street is also in the draw. This means if you leave Woodford to the end, you cannot finish until you return to Liverpool Street.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: R15 Twist Idea - Wildcard

Post by greatkingrat »

But does it actually add any strategy to route choice? It seems like all it does is make the challenge longer as you go all the way out to zone 4, then probably turn round and come back the way you came.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Capelblue
Zone 1

Post by Capelblue »

It's an interesting idea, but I am also unsure how much extra strategy it would add.

An idea I've had for a while is that in addition to the 15 stations on the list, there are an additional three drawn that are 'closed', i.e. we cannot pass through, board or leave the train at them. Perhaps if you do visit one you would incur a 20 minute penalty.

It seems to me this would introduce some extra strategy (depending of course on the stations drawn)

Any thoughts ? Any other twist ideas ?
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

I think the Banned Stations idea has already been done, although not for some time. Maybe time to do it again?
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Current South London record holder - 2:04:11
1 pint in 18 seconds
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

greatkingrat wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 14:24 But does it actually add any strategy to route choice? It seems like all it does is make the challenge longer as you go all the way out to zone 4, then probably turn round and come back the way you came.
You have to decide when to detour, and how much of your route should be planned around it.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
miklcct
Zone 1

Post by miklcct »

Capelblue wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:35 It's an interesting idea, but I am also unsure how much extra strategy it would add.

An idea I've had for a while is that in addition to the 15 stations on the list, there are an additional three drawn that are 'closed', i.e. we cannot pass through, board or leave the train at them. Perhaps if you do visit one you would incur a 20 minute penalty.

It seems to me this would introduce some extra strategy (depending of course on the stations drawn)

Any thoughts ? Any other twist ideas ?
There was a round that only draws Zones 2-4 stations, but allows the use of Zone 1. How about doing a round with Zone 2-3 only, and banning the use of Zone 1 totally (i.e. you cannot take any rail lines within Zone 1, but you can run or use buses within it, as if you held a Zones 2-3 Travelcard.)