Three in a day

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Three in a day

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Making good use of the time I have off work between Christmas and New Year, I went to London yesterday (Thursday 28th) for some alternative challenges. Original plan was for a repeat of Roads, Street and Lanes, hoping to get the record, but tube trains were running to Saturday timetables and the timings didn't work out. So I squeezed in 3 of the shorter challenges into the time I had available.

Challenge 1 - All the Actons

Planned route was East Acton :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: Acton Main Line :arrow: (run) Acton Central :arrow: South Acton :arrow: (run) Chiswick Park :arrow: Acton Town

Screwed this one up before I even started. I though that the train I wanted to start on was the one after the train I actually wanted to start on. In other words, I missed my first connection by about a minute. Not wanting to hand around another 14 minutes and not wanting to re-start, I decided to improvise. Took the next District out of Ealing Broadway, which was only a 4 minute wait. Plan B was to double back at Acton Town, but I missed the return train I wanted, which would have meant another long wait at Ealing Broadway. So from Acton Town I ran to South Acton and made a northbound train with seconds to spare.

Barely time to catch my breath before arriving at Acton Central. I accidentally took the back entrance out of the station, which put me on the wrong side of the level crossing, which was of course closed because the train I'd arrived on was about to pass over. So back into the station, back to the platform I'd arrived on and out of the main entrance, then ran to Acton Main Line. Got lucky here by having a 1 minute wait for a train which was running (I think) about 4 minutes late, and so finished the challenge back at Ealing Broadway.

Final time was 38:55, which - somehow - puts me second on the leaderboard!

Challenge 2 - South of the Thames

Started this one at Kew Gardens and timed the start to catch the half-hourly fast service between Richmond and Putney. Arriving at Richmond, I could, if I had been on the ball, just caught an ealier service which was running late, but I didn't realise this until too late. But the planned fast service turned up as expected.

Got fairly soaked on the run between Putney and East Putney. A 337 bus showed up as I ran out of Putney station and I was tempted to get on it, but I wasn't certain that it would go in the right direction and I could already see the underground bridge in the distance. In the end the bus barely beat me to East Putney station anyway.

The rest of the challenge went very smoothly. Only a few very good connections but it was rare that I had to wait more than one or 2 minutes. Only annoying point was missing a cross-platform double back at Brixton by the skin of my teeth, causing me to leave on the same train I arrived on.

Final time was 2:04:11, which I believe is a new record (by 23 seconds)!

That is, I believe. The Explorer Ticket website states that there are 33 stations south of the Thames but for the life of me I can only find 31. And yes I am including the new Battersea branch. I'll submit full details of my (secret) route to Tangy and see what he says.

Challenge 3 - All Lines

Route was Farringdon :arrow: Barbican :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Bank :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Embankment (by Northern) :arrow: Westminster (by District) :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Green Park

Went to Farringdon and waited for "the stars to align". Quickly got a Met train with a H&C 2 minutes behind and a Circle 2 minutes behind that. So all went fine up to Liverpool Street. Minor delays on the Central gave me a bit of a wait here and the train was rammed. Then long wait for a W&C. Slight screw up at Embankment when I went to the eastbound platform, not the westbound, but this was quickly rectified. More major screw up at Oxford Circus where I was positioned for a change to the northbound Bakerloo, not the southbound, meaning that I had to run the whole length of the platform. Not sure if this caused me to miss a train or not. Heavy crowds at Piccadilly Circus did cause me to miss an eastbound train to finish, but a westbound was in the opposite platform and departed maybe 15 seconds after the train I'd just missed. So I finished back at Green Park.

Final time was 49:24, which puts me just below halfway down the leaderboard, joint 44th with EastActionWoman and Hopeful Traveller.

All in all, a good day. Although my legs aren't thanking me the day after all this!
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Current South London record holder - 2:04:11
1 pint in 18 seconds
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Re: Three in a day

Post by EastActionWoman »

That's some seriously impressive challenging in one day!

Well done on the South London record ... I'm still trying to beat it but haven't had chance to try on my recent visits to London. There again next week just in time for the strikes so might just have to do some inter-station above ground route tests while I'm there.

Agree about the Putney/East Putney bus - even at my fast walk pace I can do it almost as fast as foot as on the bus and don't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic.

I wonder if the "33 stations" is left over from when the ELL stations would have been included in the challenge? I only get 31 too.

And, I didn't even realise I'd forgotten I'd completed an All Lines Challenge - must have been my practise attempt before doing the Cannon Street run :D
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34