3rd Full Completion (Sub 18hrs) (14/11/23)

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
key_cauliflower3135
Zone 1

3rd Full Completion (Sub 18hrs) (14/11/23)

Post by key_cauliflower3135 »

Hi All, I'm Derry, back again with a successful challenge write up.

I will preface this by saying that I got EXTREMELY lucky on Tuesday 14th of November when I did this challenge. But having said that, my plan, if executed perfectly, should have a potential to just achieve a sub-17 hour time.

This obviously still falls massively short of the old record of 15:45:38 set by Andi and James for the 270 station configuration, which says to me that a sub 16 hour time is definitely possible in the 272 station configuration and that my route could definitely be improved upon. I however have found it extremely difficult to improve upon the sub-17hr route which I eventually settled on for this third attempt due to the limitation of a Heathrow Start and morning Olympias. Maybe you can help me with some suggestions to improve my route? :)

From my base in West London, the N9 sets up a convenient connection to the start line at Hounslow West. Piccadilly 220 arrived on time at Heathrow T4 and also departed just about on time at 5:02:55am. As I pulled into T2&3 4.5 mins later I spotted the westbound train on the platform with its doors open. This T5 train has almost always departed early on every single one of my attempts, and so I hoped it would remain on the platform long enough, but knowing I would have the 5:14am HX as a fall back should I need it.

Luckily, the beeps of the doors started to sound as I hopped onto the train, perfect connection to start the day, one of many as I was about to find out.
We arrived at T5 on time/early at 5:11am. Train 222 today was operated by a driver who really wanted to reach the depot, and as such, we left T5 a full minute early at 5:21am, and remained ahead of the timetable until Northfields, where the inevitable hold on the platform dragged us back onto timetabled departure time. Luckily, this was not a factor for our District line connection at Hammersmith, where the 064 District line bound for Upminster was waiting. A second perfect connection. We were doing very well.

Having tapped out at West Kensington a full District line train ahead at 6:00am (the Barking train is timetabled for 6:02am), it was nice to not have to fully sprint the 0.7 miles to Olympia. 7 minute connection on foot later (the 28 bus unfortunately had just departed a minute before my arrival at WK), we saw the 064 train stood on Platform 1 at Olympia. The train left as scheduled at 6:10:30am, and we were on the platform at Earl's Court by 6:14am. Here is the first place where I deviated from my previous route, and instead of doing Edgware Road/Paddington loop now, I decided to tackle the rest of the Piccadilly line. Down into the bowels of Earl's Court and we reached the platform just as Piccadilly 353 arrived to take us to Cockfosters. 3/4 perfect connections so far, we were off to a good start.

A long long ride to Cockfosters later, I was in time to catch the 7:10 384 to High Barnet. Unfortunately, for one reason or another, this bus was cancelled (seemingly due to a bus not having come down from Edgware). Not a big deal, we used the 299 down to Cockfosters road to connect to a 307 that was just coming down the hill. Due to the early arrival here, we avoided the bulk of the school traffic and we were on a train leaving High Barnet at 7:31.

Unfortunately, this 5 mins set back did push us a train back on the MHE branch. Wanting to be a hero and catch the train from MHE, I got out at West Finchley and ran for the 221, hoping I would catch the 7:47 Kennington train, forgetting that now the school traffic would pick up. No damage done though, and a 13 min transfer between WF & MHE meant that I was early for the 8:00 Morden service. Train 026 took us down to Moorgate, where we picked up the Met line to Baker Street. (Another perfect transfer here, we were racking them up nicely).

Jubilee 302 arrived into the platform as I ran down the escalators at Baker Street, and took us up to Stanmore in good time. No 142 bus meant a
3 min wait for a double back to Canons Park was the best option. A 1 min bus wait and a total 7 min Canons Park - Edgware Connection later meant that all 4 northern Sections were completed before 10am, we were doing well.

It is worth noting here that there was a noticeable 10 minute service gap at Edgware at this time, and because there was no CX service on the Edgware Branch at the time, I needed to change at Camden Town, not much time lost though, and soon enough we were at Goodge Street. Once again though, we had a problem. There was no double back to Warren Street, and the dot matrix indicators on the NB platform were broken (and have been broken a long time), so it was a nervous wait for a train. Thankfully it only ended up being 3 mins or so.

A quick run through Warren Street later and we were onto a Victoria line service. I settled in for the ride to Walthamstow, only to hear "this is a Victoria line train to Seven Sisters" *sigh*
Quick change at Finsbury Park later, we reached Walthamstow at 10:26. As we would probably miss the 10:28am Overground at Queen's Road, I opted for the bus option to connect to the Central line. Use of the 69 and W16 busses later, we found ourselves at Leytonstone after 21 minutes. Not a horrifically long change, nor anything to ride home about.

At Leytonstone the decision was made for us, as there was no Epping train for another 10 mins, Hainault was the best choice. Around a 5 minute change at Hainault onto train 173, we were back onto theoretical best pace. We arrived into Woodford right on time at 11:17am. Unfortunately, the Epping bound service passed as by as we passed Woodford Junction, meaning that I was doomed to wait another 10 mins for another Epping train due to another gap in the service. Not a massive deal, but this would start the spiral that would impact us later in the day.

Due to the gap in the service, the 026 Central line which took us up to Epping from Woodford also took us all the way back to West Ruislip after a full 1hr 30min ride. The heavy rain had flooded the High Road between Ickenham and West Ruislip, meaning the bus option was gone. Not a big deal, a 7 min connection on foot later put us on for a perfect connection at Ickenham for a connection down to Uxbridge. Another perfect double back at Uxbridge brought us to West Harrow at 1:49pm. The 1:57pm Piccadilly line from Rayners Lane was around 10 minutes late though, and this put us back once again until North Ealing.

North Ealing to West Acton was done in 4 mins, meaning I just caught Central 105 into Ealing Broadway, perfect connection number 8 brought us back to 15 mins behind theoretical perfect. This coupled with the perfect connection onto the 2:28pm District Line train bought us another 5 mins. Perfect connection 10 at Turnham Green down to Richmond coupled with perfect connection 11 as the double back at 2:53pm meant we were still within reach of theoretical perfect. However this is when the wheels started to come off.

At Stamford Brook we were held for an unusual length of time "due to a trespasser further down the track". As we pulled into Ravenscourt Park, we were told that "track current was now turned off due to a trespasser between High Street Kensington and Earl's Court". It was bound to happen, but this was a devastating setback. Quick connection to a bus got us to Hammersmith H&C in 7 mins, but now we were 20 mins behind. Furthermore, at this point the circle line was suspended when we most needed it. (Even though clockwise services from Hammersmith seemed to be running fine).

As we pulled into Edgware Road, I saw the crowds of people on Platforms 2 & 3 and the dot matrix showing 10+ min wait times meant I needed to improvise. I decided to pick up southbound Bakerloo at Baker Street instead. Perfect connection 12 for the Bakerloo 245. Transfer to Northern to London Bridge and then to Southwark on the Jubilee. The double back took a full 5 mins at Southwark but it didn't matter due to c2c service patterns at West Ham. The 16:38 Shoeburyness c2c dropped us at Upminster nicely for the 4:55pm District line back. A long ride to Aldgate East later left us with a transfer to Aldgate. I was hoping for a good transfer at Aldgate, but this wasn't to be, the circle line I needed was running 11 mins late, and left us with an 8 minute wait. No perfect transfer here :(

We took the circle line to Sloane Square, perfect double back (number 14) and perfect Victoria line at Victoria. A mediocre 10 min connection between Vauxhall and BPS left us at Battersea Power Station at 6:29pm. Unfortunately another gap in the service left us with a 10 minute wait here too. Perfect Morden connection at Kennington, and Brixton connection at Stockwell brought us back onto a Morden train at 6:55pm. Stockwell - Morden and then double back to South Wimbledon, arriving at 7:20pm, with now 16 perfect connections under our belt.

A lucky wayward 57 meant that South Wimbledon - Wimbledon Connection was completed with 7 mins, unfortunately, as I approached Plat 1-4, I saw the Edgware Road train I needed pull out. That meant a 5 min wait for a HSK service.... We arrived at HSK and waited for the circle line down to Paddington.

We were now in the homestretch, with only the Bakerloo and Met needed to complete. At Paddington, we caught a southbound Bakerloo to tick off Bakerloo Edgware Road and Marylebone which we missed from earlier. A perfect double back at Marylebone dropped us off at Queen's Park in time to catch the 20:24 LO to H&W. As we pulled into H&W, the southbound train was on the opposite platform. Fortunately, it dwelled long enough for us to make perfect connection number 18 down to Kenton. A quick 4 min run down to Northwick Park left us with an unusual 4 min wait for a southbound service to Preston Road.

Another long wait at Preston Road for a delayed Watford service brought us to Watford just after 9:35pm. As per the timetable the train should have left at 9:38pm, but perhaps due to technical issues, we only left at 9:45pm. Fortunately, this was just enough time for me to break my journey and still catch the 9:53pm Chesham service. Last 2 trains to go.

We departed Chesham right on time at 10:26pm and Metropolitan 465 brought us into Amersham 1 minute late at 22:54:50, giving us a total time spent of 17:51:55.

I firstly cannot emphasise how lucky I was on this day to be able to make 18 perfect train connections out of the total 55 trains I used throughout the day, furthermore, I was extremely happy to break the 18 hours barrier (firstly as it seems as nobody has done it before, so I can claim the unofficial record even just for myself should I not have enough evidence to provide to the forum :mrgreen: , but also it seems for me that this is the absolute limit to what I can do given my limitations of running speed and general fitness levels.)

I am tempted to try this route again, but maybe modified against any changes to the timetable in the Spring, it is simply too depressing and cold to run during the long winter nights. But I do have full belief, that this route, if followed perfectly, can grant a sub 17 hour time (even though theoretically a sub 16 hour time should be possible with a more efficient route due to Andi and Steve's record of 15:45 in the 270 stations format.)

Does anyone have any idea of what this sub 16 hour route may look like? (if you are willing to share of course :) ) Is there anything that you would recommend for me to change or that I should have done differently on this route? I would love to hear all of your thoughts :)
Golf
Zone 4

Re: 3rd Full Completion (Sub 18hrs) (14/11/23)

Post by Golf »

Maybe you can help me with some suggestions to improve my route? "Seeing as u have the fastest time and i presume the evidence was given to guinness i dont think u going to get any takers"

Does anyone have any idea of what this sub 16 hour route may look like? "well seeing as there was only myself and steve and iain,s knowledge i have laid easter eggs (hidden references throughout the years unfortunately no one is smart enough to figure them out) and kudos to you getting an under 18h time unto that time get anywhere near under 17h i dont think i bother trying to cement my legacy anymore! but if u do have a friday free i be willing to help you with the knowledge i have picked up over the years!¬.

in reference to ur route there are several bits that i noticed you could improve obviously but its all down to what u want to do i cant tell you how i do it i just have a natural knack of seeing things as i go along the tracks. i dont think any tube challenger could compare themselves to me or steveo. i myself have done every possible challenge and won them all so there isnt really anything to chase anymore and anytime someone sets a time i have proven time and time again i can get it back if i so wish the tube king hasnt retired as in a previous post easter egg!

it is simply too depressing and cold to run during the long winter nights "this is when u run faster to warm up warm weather has its disadvantages too daylight is not really an issue despite seeing trains in far distance plenty of street lighting in most places! but i can understand that!

if you need my help one day private message me on forum!
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Well, that seems to settle the question of whether I have another attempt at my 17:53 (possible 17:43) or try my 17:13 (poss 17:03) route next time....

Like you, though, I think I'll wait until the spring. If nothing else it gives me time to think up some contingencies for the 17:13 route.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
key_cauliflower3135
Zone 1

Golf wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 12:53
"Seeing as u have the fastest time and i presume the evidence was given to guinness i dont think u going to get any takers"
Yeah I think I’m inclined to agree with you. Although I will say that I just don’t see a world where I can run this challenge solo and still obtain all the evidence to send out to Guinness for an official record. I’m content just challenging for myself to be honest, and I don’t ever see myself challenging for the official record, not in its current form anyway.

I’m inclined to think that the 15:45 achieved by you all those years ago was not actually possible as per timetable, but rather a bunch of lucky train delays meaning that you had multiple immediate connections (essentially meaning you were constantly moving and never waiting for a train), because unless I’m missing something massive, I don’t see how you could gain a full hour just by the addition of Nine Elms and BPS.

I’m not saying my route is perfect by any means (and even if it was you would need to execute it according to what happens on the day, which is not what happened with my deviations due to the trespasser), but it doesn’t seem massively inefficient at any point either. Maybe I’m doing transfers at Zone 1 stations during peak hours which would naturally slow me down, but those are the minute details that only a computer algorithm can consider at length and simply beyond my computational ability as a human.

Thanks for offering to help with my future planning though, as I’m sure your advice would help mere mortals like us demolish the current records :mrgreen:
Unfortunately with uni timings it’s a bit difficult with exams and projects coming up, it’s looking like it’ll be Summer ‘24 at the earliest before I can attempt another run. But all the more time to plan an insane route right?
RJSRdg wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 22:17 Well, that seems to settle the question of whether I have another attempt at my 17:53 (possible 17:43) or try my 17:13 (poss 17:03) route next time....
Sorry to have beaten you to the sub-18 hour mark, it just seemed like it was a matter of time with all the improvements made in the last couple of months. I’m sure sub-17 hour is just around the corner too and you’ll probably beat me to it :wink:
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

key_cauliflower3155 wrote:I’m inclined to think that the 15:45 achieved by you all those years ago was not actually possible as per timetable, but rather a bunch of lucky train delays
That kind of implies that you think we was lucky in 2015 where i wont divulge anything in the route i always allow a 2 minute back up in inter station connections we took only 1 bus in the entire day yes we had waits but if ur waiting for longer than 5 minutes you start thinking outside the box certain points there are exceptions to this plus we had no train delays late ones that would have helped us!"

because unless I’m missing something massive, "well in the 6 years no one got close to even geoffs time of 16h 20m that either shows two things i have a massive trick up my sleeve which no other tube challenger has attempted or even thought about or just shows like 2023 zone 1 challenge i can come back and be no 1 at any time"?
key_cauliflower3155 wrote:(essentially meaning you were constantly moving and never waiting for a train)
In your own write up you list several things that u waited for never ever wait as the immortal geoff marshall always says take the 1st train" never wait for certain things like buses which is one thing u did mention!
tube olympic winner once
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Andy and Stevo's route took something like two years of planning, some fast running and pretty much everything (apart from the last train) going right on the day. Geoff's record was beaten with I think 16:14 and another attempt I'm aware of (16:18) before the 15:45.I only held one door all day (at Finchley Central). I do know the 15:45 route but I'm not disclosing it - but there's nothing "magic" in there.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
key_cauliflower3135
Zone 1

Golf wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 19:20
That kind of implies that you think we was lucky in 2015 where i wont divulge anything in the route i always allow a 2 minute back up in inter station connections we took only 1 bus in the entire day yes we had waits but if ur waiting for longer than 5 minutes you start thinking outside the box certain points there are exceptions to this plus we had no train delays late ones that would have helped us!"
That's fair, I guess I came across as a bit judgmental and patronising in my previous response which was not my intention and I apologise for that. But you have left behind some interesting hints in your and Iain's replies. I hope it would be fair for me to analyse them according to my viewpoints and how I interpret them, and I for one will say I completely understand why you are so reluctant to release your 15:45 route, especially if it took a full two years to plan out. (although I would point out that it is very possible that due to timetable changes especially on those stretches with low frequency (Hainault Loop/NW Met line come to mind) that the route would need tweaks from the one that broke the record for you back in 270 stations config.)

So firstly, if you had everything going your way apart from the last train, I would be almost certain to say that it was a Chesham/Heathrow start/end. It simply wouldn't make sense any other way. Epping as a possible end was dismissed by you in our previous discussion, Stanmore/Edgware and Cockfosters High Barnet are known connecting points. Walthamstow/Brixton can be dismissed due to their proximity to the centre. Upminster is another possible option but the 15 min c2c return to West Ham kills that off too. Morden ties up nicely with Wimbledon. Richmond is 10 mins away from Turnham Green and again too close to the centre. Ealing Broadway fails for the same reason as Richmond. Uxbridge & West Ruislip are known to be tied together at Ickenham, and it simply doesn't make sense to double back as far as North Acton on the Central line to visit other stations.

All of this leaves us with a Chesham/Heathrow T5 start/end point. Of course, this leaves the key question of when Olympia is completed, as the timetable at time of writing this only allows 2 evening Olympias, leaving 8:19pm and 8:39pm. If we take into account that the route likely starts on the 2nd train from Chesham (at time of writing 5:52am), then it is feasible for this to be the case and still have a sub-16 hours.

However, having said all of that, the timetable at the moment doesn't line up for an early morning Chesham/Amersham start. You would end up with quite a considerable wait at both Chalfont & Latimer and Amersham for the service down to Moor Park at which point I suspect that sub-16 hours is impossible anyway. (However I will say that the 05:55 1 Carousel Bus from Chesham is something that is worth considering)

It doesn't seem to work for a Heathrow Start either, mostly for the reason that the first T4 train is almost always late and it is always a risk to try and make the T5 connection at T2 & 3. Furthermore, even once you arrive at T5 it is an obligatory 10 min wait for the train back out at 5:22am. This, coupled with the impossibility of going down to Richmond before you hit Olympia (due to Olympia services ceasing at 6:36am and the 7:56am service meaning that you would need to massively detour to catch it) makes that Heathrow start also dramatically impractical for a sub-16 hour time.

In conclusion then, while Andy and Steve's route is clearly superior to anything which I can conjure up right now with the current timetable restrictions, I have a suspicion that unfortunately, with the timetable as it is now, it is simply impossible (or very nearly impossible) to make sub-16 hours a real possibility. A perfect route from Chesham/Amersham would need to combine:
1. A quick double back at Amersham (which can only be done very limited times of the day)
2. A good connection at Moor Park (but not tight enough that you risk missing it as that adds 15 mins onto your time automatically)
3. A good double back at Watford (again 15 mins + if you miss it)
4. A good connection onto the Uxbridge branch Picc line, (10-15 mins if you miss a train)
5. A good connection at Mill Hill East (15 mins)
6. A quick double back at Mill Hill East (yes the stand time at MHE does vary)
7. A good connection at Hainault/Woodford (20 mins)
8. A good double back at Epping (could be up to 15 mins)
9. A good connection onto the circle line at some point to tick off Aldgate (unless you visit it using the Met) (10 mins)
10. Sub 5 min Connection time between: North Ealing/West Acton, West Kensington/Olympia, Ickenham/West Ruislip.
11. Sub 10 min Connection time between: Stanmore (Canons Park)/Edgware
12. Sub 15 min Connection time between: Morden/Wimbledon, Leytonstone/Snaresbrook/Walthamstow, Cockfosters/High Barnet.

If you achieve all 12 of the above and don't manage to get screwed by train delays all in one attempt (coupled with a really solid Plan B in case you do miss a train, or two...) then it probably will mean you beat the record.

Sorry for the brainstorm out loud, but hopefully this was somewhat coherent and if you do see anything wrong with my reasonings please point them out, thanks all :mrgreen:
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I'll just add (and this is nothing to do with the old record route) that a quick double back at Epping is notoriously risky. There are/were some thirty second timetabled double backs there but having watched the live camera there they regularly miss by a long way
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Iain wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 10:28 Andy and Stevo's route took something like two years of planning, some fast running and pretty much everything (apart from the last train) going right on the day. Geoff's record was beaten with I think 16:14 and another attempt I'm aware of (16:18) before the 15:45.I only held one door all day (at Finchley Central). I do know the 15:45 route but I'm not disclosing it - but there's nothing "magic" in there.
I spent most of the lockdown trying to work out how they did it. I'm 90% sure I know now and as you say there isn't anything out of the ordinary about it. You just have to go through a lot of combinations.
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

IAIN believes they is nothing special but there is something i do that i dont see other challengers doing and it saves me time where other people may think its nothing its obviously brought me the results i need! surfice to say i,m always checking on new oppurtunities. to say the route took 2 years is actually a falicy it took a little over 1 month to come up with this is when geoff held the record and had just beaten it!

it took over 2 years for me to research all the new connections which i did in 2 hour blocks 8 attempts over a 2 year period just to check if the blocks worked and what didnt after finding no problems on each section it was time to just go do it with steveo!

i have the luxury of knowing that 2 extra stations wont take me that long to do yes i do have a new routing strategy and have run it through wtt and its impressive i look forward to trying it out one day! in the meantime keep going all you young whippersnappers i look forward to seeing new times and names on the gwr list!
tube olympic winner once
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

Derry can you leave an email for me to get back to you in a personal messagefor some reason tubuguru messsage system wont let me send?
tube olympic winner once
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 09:52... for some reason tubuguru messsage system wont let me send?
Can you be more specific as to what the problem is? Private messages work fine for me, if that's what you mean.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

dont worry sorted it now defo must have been some kind of glitch!
tube olympic winner once
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 03 Dec 2023, 13:40 dont worry sorted it now defo must have been some kind of glitch!
Indeed ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Bubble
Zone 1

Post by Bubble »

Congratulations indeed, Derry, for going sub-18.

I want to have another go; my attempt in September was intended to merely secure a completion but even with some flawed and inefficient decisions I achieved a reasonable time so have been working on a refined route ever since. I completely agree with you re the morning Olympias and my new route features an approach for that which hasn’t been tried yet. I will be as open as you (thankfully) are in your reports and will share if it works when I get round to my next attempt - probably in the spring.

The addition of the BPS branch: I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘just two more stations’. So I would tend to feel that sub-16 is simply not possible nowadays. You have - congratulations again - shown that sub-18 is possible, and with a clear run my current route would achieve sub-18 too, but thus far I can’t get anywhere near sub-17. I wonder if anyone will hit that milestone? Of course, as everyone recognises, good fortune on the day has a lot to do with it.

I have more than a suspicion that the eventual holder of a record which will stand for some time will be a runner. Being able to be at speed from the instant the doors open to the instant you reach your next train leaves those able to run fast, and manage to keep running fast when required throughout the day, will be well-placed to secure a fast time. None of the runs involved is beyond the reach of a reasonably fit parkrunner.

Looking forward to trying again.
FNC (272 stations) completed on 5 September 2023 - 19:27:47