Burberry Street

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Burberry Street

Post by GillagePeople »

What does everyone make of tfl renaming Bond Street to Burberry Street? (I think for one week)

Can't help but think it's the cringiest thing ever and might genuinely confuse people

I guess if TfL is broke and genuinely needs to do anything for money though... :? Still would rather they did something else for the £££
272 stations - 18 hrs 23 minutes 19 seconds

I love Class 700 and Class 800 series trains (yes we exist)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Burberry Street

Post by Going Underground »

I went through it on the R15 once on Saturday and is a huge error of judgement - most passengers in my carriage were totally confused as there was absolutely nothing to indicate you were at Bond Street
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I agree - very confusing for those not familiar with the network.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Interesting article in the Guardian about it. I particularly liked this paragraph:
On the subject of Bond Street specifically, and how much it raised, opinion is divided: [Will] Jennings [who teaches and writes about architecture] thinks “a nice, small amount”; [Anna] Minton [an academic and the author of Big Capital: Who is London For?] thinks that “Burberry was paying very, very large amounts of money”. It ought to be possible to nail this down, but TfL declined to specify, commenting only that, whatever it was, it was invested back into the network. Again, the language of money gates off pluralism: it’s enough for us to know that profit was made, we don’t need to know how much. But without that information, how could we decide collectively whether it was worth it?
I can understand why TfL needs the money, but it could have been done a lot better. Every other roundel kept as "Bond Street" perhaps, or a combined "Burberry / Bond Street"? I understand that they had platform staff announcing it as Bond Street for arriving trains, but I can't imagine they had them on all platforms and at all times the station was open. Bit crap when it's such a big interchange with the Elizabeth Line now.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Also crap if you're hearing impaired and depend more on visual input to know what station you're at
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)