Cannon Street Run 2023

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Re: Cannon Street Run 2023

Post by EastActionWoman »

Thanks GU - does your watch start at 1830 (like an R15), or when the doors close on your first train?
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

EastActionWoman wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 14:43 Thanks GU - does your watch start at 1830 (like an R15), or when the doors close on your first train?
Starts on first train in your chose direction - Must be first train at of after 18:30 and you can wait for District or Circle as required. If only going as far as Tower Hill or Gloucester Road then you must take whichever comes first of the 2 lines that serve Cannon St
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Avsast yee swabs - I may be weighing anchor at 6 bells but then be sailing straight home after thee voyage..
When yee have returned to home ports you can message me the sailing log and points gained on yee voyage..
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Going Underground wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 09:58 Avsast yee swabs - I may be weighing anchor at 6 bells but then be sailing straight home after thee voyage..
When yee have returned to home ports you can message me the sailing log and points gained on yee voyage..
Ahhh, ye scurvy dog, I may see ye, I may not. I'll get there when I get there dependin' on the gods of the Northern line.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

all done and some very piratey changes in the first half of me sailing ... arrrrr so be it me hearties
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

First leg: (cumulative score in brackets)

Started at Cannon Street (1)
Headed east to Monument (2)
Change to Northern Line at Bank (5)
Call at Moorgate, Old Street, Angel, KXSP, to Euston (10)
Head to southbound platforms, Vic on one side, Northern on the other, for the hop down to Warren Street. Northern Line train comes first so jump on that and off we go (12)
"The next station is King's Cross St Pancras" Noooooo! Jump off train, go up to subsurface platforms and board first westbound train (still 12,).
Realise that train is a Metropolitan Line train and I wanted Circle or H&C. Since changing to either of those lines would not constitute a valid change (as I could have just waited at KXSP), I opt instead to stay on through Euston Square and GPS and change to the Bakerloo at Baker Street (17)
Through Marylebone to Edgware Road Bakerloo (19)
Over the road to Edgware Road (subsurface) looking for a H&C or Circle. Next one due in five minutes so instead hop on a Wimbledon train (22).
Down through Paddington to Bayswater (24).
Over to Queensway, bit of a wait for a westbound Central Line but get on one (27).
Leave NHG for Holland Park about 5 seconds before time-up (28).

Interval:
Double back at HP and travel eastwards to Marble Arch.

Part 2.
Jump off train, ready to start on next train but notice platform clock says it's already 19:30 so jump back on and stop the startwatch (1)
East one stop to Bond Street, change to the Jubilee. Whilst boarding, notice that the platform clock says 19:29! (4)
Down to Green Park, 5 minute wait before boarding an eastbound Picc. (7)
Up to Piccadilly Circus, change to Southbound Bakerloo (10)
Disembark at Charing Cross, down the long corridors to the Northern Line platforms and another lengthy wait for a northbound train (would probably have had time to change at Embankment instead!) (13)
Up to Leicester Square, change back to Piccadilly (16)
"The next station is Piccadilly Circus. Change here for the Bakerloo Line!' Nooooo! Over to the other platform, back through Leicester Square then via Covent Garden to Holborn (18). With hindsight may have been better once the error was made to carry on down to Gloucester Road and on to the Circle/District
Over to the westbound Central line, another 4 minute wait. With the clock counting down, not what I wanted. Consider catching an eastbound train instead but this might result in fewer points so stick to plan A and catch westbound train. (20)
Over to TCR and another long corridor. Originally planned to get a northbound train but into the final minute and there is a southbounf train in the platform so I get on that and we depart with seconds to spare (23).

Total 28+23=51 points!

By now, taking convoluted routes had obviously become second nature as I carried on down to Charing Cross, caught a Southeastern to Waterloo East and then walk almost the length of the Waterloo concourse towards the Eurostar platforms for a Reading train before realising that had I stayed on the Northern Line, I would have got there much quicker!
Discover that the 20:50 to Reading is being curtailed at Bracknell, so head back Underground and catch the Bakerloo over to Paddington (arriving at Padd before the 20:50 from Waterloo would have set off!) and home that way. Back to Reading in less time than it took me to write Part 1 of this report!
Last edited by RJSRdg on 27 Sep 2023, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Not long got back and early start tomorrow so will post all results when I get a chance to check routes including my own !
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

RJSRdg wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 22:18 First leg: (cumulative score in brackets)

Started at Cannon Street (1)
Headed east to Monument (2)
Change to Northern Line at Bank (5)
Call at Moorgate, Old Street, Angel, KXSP, to Euston (10)
Head to southbound platforms, Vic on one side, Northern on the other, for the hop down to Warren Street. Northern Line train comes first so jump on that and off we go (12)
"The next station is King's Cross St Pancras" Noooooo! Jump off train, go up to subsurface platforms and board first westbound train (still 12,).
Realise that train is a Metropolitan Line train and I wanted Circle or H&C. Since changing to either of those lines would not constitute a valid change (as I could have just waited at KXSP), I opt instead to stay on through Euston Square and GPS and change to the Bakerloo at Baker Street (17)
Through Marylebone to Edgware Road Bakerloo (19)
I think you can claim an extra two points for changing at Kings Cross, as even though you had visited it before, you didn't change there the first time.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'll leave that up to GU to decide - I didn't want to overclaim!
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

That was fun though a little frustrated with myself at times

I met up with Rich outside the station and then waved at him and Kev from the westbound platform, and never saw them again. Three eastbound trains came in whilst I waited but I eventually got started at 19.33.

First half:

District round to Embankment. This set the theme of the evening with all the other passengers appearing to be in zombie mode, meandering around platforms and down escalators. Including a bunch of American tourists stood on both sides of the escalator. When I got to the platform the train had already closed its doors, but someone must have been stuck and they opened again. Dived on for Northern through Charing Cross up to Leicester Square. Lovely changes onto Piccadilly to Piccadilly Circus, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, then onto Victoria line. There were severe delays on the Victoria all evening. This meant I'd just jumped onto the train as soon as I saw it and was at the wrong end for the next interchange. The driver than announced that we'd wait a couple of minutes to regulate the service. I thought about moving up the platform to get the right door position, but wasn't sure I'd be able to get back on the train again. So, at Green Park, then had to weave among the zombies to get to the Jubilee to Westminster. Lovely change again there onto District through St James Park to Victoria. Back onto the Victoria again (running OK but busy) down to Stockwell. In my original plan I wanted to north and get another interchange in at Kennington, so I stupidly still headed to the northbound platforms and didn't even get to Oval before the time ran out. There was a southbound train in platform, so I should have just jumped on that and collected Clapham North instead.
So, 16 stations + 8 interchanges = 32 points

Second half:
Started at Nine Elms on CX branch so still got my interchange at Kennington onto Bank branch up to London Bridge. Two minute wait for a Jubilee line train then realised I was on the wrong side, so switched back to eastbound platform. Luckily hadn't missed a train in that time. Jubilee all the way round to West Ham. I haven't changed there very often and got my door position wrong, more zombies and a pathetic attempt at running meant I just missed the westbound H&C and had to wait for four minutes for a District to Mile End. Central line had also been having problems but train came after a couple of minutes and arrived at Liverpool Street and got my foot on the platform just as the final whistle blew at 45:00. If things had gone better it would have been a change at Liverpool Street to Moorgate, then down to Bank, but wasn't to be.
So, 16 stations + 4 interchanges = 24 points

I wasn't as tired after the first half as I thought I'd be, so probably could have gone for more interchanges again in the second half. I''ll know for next time!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

RJSRdg wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 22:17 I'll leave that up to GU to decide - I didn't want to overclaim!
Interesting, I went slightly wrong at the end of the first half so didn't re-visit the 2 stations again that I did in error so re-planned the 2nd half on the hoof !

I think in the circumstances I can let you have the extra 2 points :wink:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Avast yee here be the log for my two plunders and the final haul of booty!!!

Plunder 1
Circle - Cannon St - Monument - Tower Hill - Aldgate - Liverpool Street (changed to Met as leaving next but don't think this count as interchange)
Central - Bank
Northern - Moorgate
Met - Kings X
Northern - Euston
Victoria - Warren Street
Northern - Goode - TCR - Leicester Square
Piccadilly - Piccadilly Circus (meant to go East to Holborn :shock: ) so had to re-route on the fly including 2nd half!
Bakerloo - Oxford Circus
Stayed on to Regents Park but honestly can't remember is I got there before 45 mins up so let's say not
= 33 pieces of gold

Double backed Regents Park to Charing X at half time - frantically re-routing to avoid repeats at Picc Circus and Oxford Circus

Plunder 2
Bakerloo - Charing X - Embankment
District - Westminster, St James Park, Victoria
Viccie line - Green Park
Jubilee - Bond St, Baker Street
Bakerloo - Marylebone, Edgware Road = exit to other Edgware Road
District - Paddington, Bayswater = exit to Queensway
Central - NHG, Holland Park, Shepherds Bush
29 pieces of gold

RJSRdg - Bosun Rich - 53 pieces o gold
EAW - Cap'n Jenny - 56 pieces o gold
GU - Admiral Kev - 62 pieces o gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I thought I'd set a good score until I saw what GU and EAW had done!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

This is similar to the first half of the Nordic Combined, isn't it? I rather enjoyed that in Tube Olympics - it was rather intense though!

Well done to all three of you :)
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

al wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 20:51 This is similar to the first half of the Nordic Combined, isn't it? I rather enjoyed that in Tube Olympics - it was rather intense though!

Well done to all three of you :)
Thanks - yes that's the idea I think the topic from the first time we did this mentioned this