FNC in Munich

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Vinzenz13
Zone 1

FNC in Munich

Post by Vinzenz13 »

Hey guys,
I have done several FNCs for the U-Bahn in my hometown Munich before and beat the current record (04:48:53 by Adam Fisher) most of the time. Sadly, as I am too young to apply for a GWR, I have never bothered to document any of the runs, and now I can’t even remember the exact times anymore. Now that I have discovered that this forum has a listing for Munich, I will now try the challenge again today. I’ll keep you guys updated.
Munich U-Bahn 04:26:01
jrparkin
Zone 3

Re: FNC in Munich

Post by jrparkin »

Did you do this in the end? If you did I'm waiting to see how it went
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
Vinzenz13
Zone 1

Post by Vinzenz13 »

Sorry for the late update, the last days were a bit stressful for me, but here’s the report now:

After lunch, I made my way up to Garching-Forschungszentrum on the U6 and started the clock with the train departing on time at 13:26. Shortly after departure, I found out that the record was actually not Adham’s one, but instead 04:19:21 by two Traffic Engineering students who spent months calculating their route. Despite me never having beaten that time, I continued on and made it to Klinikum Großhadern one minute delayed, which didn’t matter because I had 8 minutes of connection time to the bus anyways. The following connections went well, at Arabellapark I had a relaxing 4 minutes of connection time instead of the usual, where you either get the train immediately or you miss it and have to wait 10 minutes.
My first run occurred at Neuperlach Süd, where I had only 36 seconds to change from one platform to the other through the underpass. I made it with 2 seconds to spare, but just a few minutes later I had to run again at Kolumbusplatz. This one however didn’t turn out to be necessary, as my connecting U1 was one minute delayed, causing me to miss my train back and having to wait 10 minutes. Despite knowing that I would now almost certainly not break the record, I carried on with the rest of my connections smooth sailing. At Hauptbahnhof, I managed to run and get one U2 earlier than expected, causing me to arrive in Feldmoching at 17:26 for a final time of 04:26:01.
As the only thing stopping me from breaking the record was my missed connection at Mangfallplatz, I will certainly try this route again until I finally manage to beat the record (even though I can’t make it official for three more years).
Vinzenz13
Zone 1

Post by Vinzenz13 »

I’ve since repeated this and got an even worse time of 04:26:25.