TfL consult on ending Day Travelcards

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
RJSRdg
All Zones

TfL consult on ending Day Travelcards

Post by RJSRdg »

TfL "consultation" on ending one-day Travelcards here:

https://haveyoursay.tfl.gov.uk/travelcards?tool=qanda

This could potentially lead to a big increase in cost of coming into London to do Challenges as the cost would then be fare to London plus Oyster day cap.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Re: TfL consult on ending Day Travelcards

Post by Iain »

Saw this last night. When I was supporting the GWR run in 2015 I maxxed out my Oyster but they refunded most of it. I think the person on the other end of the call was rather surprised at my reason!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Not good news, particularly for those buying outboundary travelcards, but does make challenges of all descriptions harder - yes I did do the R15 last year on oyster, but had to purposefully break my journey twice (only once as it turned Shepherds Bush LO to Shepherds Bush Market isn't actually an OSI, so I didn't actually need to purposefully break it) changing at Moorgate, and I think that was within 10 minutes of the maximum journey time, so it was close.

I'm not sure whether TfL have done their maths right in this getting them money either, as people will do less trips to London and TfL will probably make less from those who do - surely they must get more from an outboundary travelcard that a Z1-2 cap, and most people don't use Z3-6, as this is essentially a return to the first station in Z6 and then a travelcard, so the travelcard element is more than just the difference between that and a return to London Terminals, particularly on shorter outside-London journeys that are used more.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Even if you time out an Oyster, on an R15 you will hit the cap so it is worth it, especially if you have a railcard discount.

My next FNC (which may be some years off owing to a lack of fitness (and loads of work commitments)) will probably be done on Oyster. You can break your journey purposefully at places like Chalfont & Latimer, Watford, Uxbridge, etc. with no trains lost (mostly).
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

The Tories are petitioning about this, by the way.

[LINK REMOVED]

That’s Khan for you - ULEZ, bus route removals, and now this. Worst Mayor we’ve ever had.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
miklcct
Zone 1

Post by miklcct »

hopeful traveller wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 20:31 The Tories are petitioning about this, by the way.

[LINK REMOVED]

That’s Khan for you - ULEZ, bus route removals, and now this. Worst Mayor we’ve ever had.
I won't sign this because it is from the Tories. In fact TfL is being blackmailed by the Central Government to make the savings since COVID hit while the Mayor did a great job in freezing Tube fares before 2020.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 20:31 The Tories are petitioning about this, by the way.

[LINK REMOVED]

So we've reached the point where Tory propaganda is now being posted here, are we?

EDIT - actually, since someone said they weren't going to click on it, I've removed it. This isn't the forum for Tory propaganda. Search for it yourself on Google if you really want to sign it.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
cycysputnik
Zone 1

Post by cycysputnik »

4 x FNC Attempts, 2 X FNC Completions - Personal Best: 18:52:12
Based on a true story.
A product of the 5th generation of rock and roll.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

:D :D :D :D :D Hallelujah! :D :D :D :D :D

Excellent news. I can cope with the extra 3 per cent levy. But as a Home Counties user, the combined rail and Travelcard has been vital to facilitating my London visits over the last 33 years. Oyster and contactless just wouldn’t do it for me.