Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2023- Friday 2nd June 2023

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2023- Friday 2nd June 2023

Post by tangy »

The Zone 1 Challenge Cup is back for another year! Friday 2nd June 2023.

The aim is simple: visit all 67 stations on the London Underground system that are within Oyster card Zone 1 in the fastest time. You will be competition with other teams (and the trains themselves) for the coveted Zone One Challenge Cup. All teams will start from the same station at the same time and the start station is not known until 45 minutes before the challenge...

The recent extension of the Northern Line to Battersea brings three new stations into zone 1- Kennington, Nine Elms and Battersea Power Station. This means the record has been reset for the new 67 station configuration, so why not come along and try to beat the current record which currently stands at 03:02:46.

Full details of the event (including meet up location, timetable of the day, rules of the challenge and after event quiz) can be found on the dedicated website at http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... ne1cup.htm

Even though this is an open invitation event, it would greatly assist me if you notify me of your attendance at the event (even if you are at this stage a maybe). Contact details are on the website (see link above) or if you have me on social media, message me.

Hope to see many of you there, be it a first timer or a regular challenger that shows up year after year.

Thanks
Tangy
BOZO (Boss Of Zone One).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2023- Friday 2nd June 2023

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Or we can notify our intention to come in the traditional way...

Attending: Lotg
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Or we can notify our intention to come in the traditional way...

Attending: Lotg. GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

i be there looking forward to it
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

This event is going ahead as planned.

I have made a booking for the function room at the Lord Palmerston from 17:00 on the day. Function room is upstairs opposite the bar.

Hope to see you there.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Despite the rail strikes I'm still coming, but will need to leave the pub no later than 17:45 to catch the last train back home. I'm aware that this means I might miss the results, but this can't be helped.

Am I correct in thinking that there's a Curse of Zone 1, where whoever wins it one year never gets to the podium the following year? If so, I don't really need to be there for the results anyway!
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Such a shame about the rail strikes. There was a chance that this year I'd be able to show my face again. But the strikes have made it impossible. :(

Have a great time, you who manage to get there! :D
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Golf wrote: 25 May 2023, 19:02 i be there looking forward to it
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

yes i know its a shock isnt it
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

:I'm in the same boat as lunatic - indeed I may well either post my time here or text Tangy and not go to the pub at all, given that it's in completely the wrong direction for my journey home!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

I'll be be attending the draw at Liverpool Street with my daughter, train strike permitting and child permitting!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 29 May 2023, 20:32 Despite the rail strikes I'm still coming, but will need to leave the pub no later than 17:45 to catch the last train back home. I'm aware that this means I might miss the results, but this can't be helped.

Am I correct in thinking that there's a Curse of Zone 1, where whoever wins it one year never gets to the podium the following year? If so, I don't really need to be there for the results anyway!
I mean, I missed it by choice in 2019, meant I could take the trophy on a little tour of Malta and Frankfurt Flughafen! :lol:
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Thank you to Georgie for drawing the starting station for zone one.

Battersea power Station station
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Bit of a disaster from me (3:49:26).

The day started with a quick reconnaisance trip to the new Co-Op at Mill Hill East with a view to planning an FNC in the future.
So - arrived at Paddington, EL to TCR and up the Northern to Finchley Central and MHE, then back down the Northern to TCR and over to Liverpool Street on the EL for the draw, then back to TCR on the EL and down the Northern to Battersea Power Station for the start.

I had a circular route planned, but was only familiar with some of the changes in one direction, and the Battersea start dictated that the circuit should be traversed in the opposite direction, as a bus to Vauxhall would not have validated a visit to BPS. This was to prove crucial!

Andy C, Andi J, Tangy, Vincent and I travelled in the same carriage from BPS. Tangy ran out at Nine Elms (a station I have yet to pass through the barriers of, or see from the outside), Vincent and I changed to the Bank branch at Kennington, with Vincent jumping on to the Bakerloo at Elephant & Castle to tick of Lambeth North. I went straight to London Bridge, changed to the Jubilee, then down the Bakerloo to Lambeth North. Northbound service in the other platform, but an interminable wait before it set off. Having checked the door position for Embankment before boarding, when I disembarked I was confused to find I was nowhere near the exit from the platform. Andi J stuck his head out of a carriage further along and said "Get in here, Rich", to which I replied "No, I'm getting off here." Almost as soon as I said that, I realised I had got off at Waterloo, not Embankment! but by then the doors had closed and I had a five minute wait for the next train. Up to Embankment, where I lost time to more confusion as this was the first of the changes that I had only ever previously done in the other direction! Eventually caught an Upminster District to Aldgate East, then ran across the City of London boundary to Aldgate, where a Met was about to leave with Kev on board. We both changed to the Central at Liverpool Street, though Kev was clearly not at full fitness as I outpaced him through the change. I jumped off the Central at Chancery Lane, Kev carried on. Once again, the curse of going in the wrong direction was repeated, as my memory of the route from Farringdon to CL ("Go straight down the road and turn left at the end") didn't work in reverse, and I missed the turning, finding myself up near Clerkenwell Road. (Ironically I got lost in Hatton Garden having stayed up far too late last night watching a film about the Hatton Garden robbery....) It took me some time to regain my bearings and find Farringdon station. Then over to Moorgate, round to KXSP on the Northern, another "backwards" change on to the Picc, down to Earl's Court. No sign of any Edgware Road services on the board, other than a message to say that they were every 10-12 minutes and only appear when the train is less than 5 minutes away (why?). But there was an Upminster train, so back to Gloucester Road in search of a Circle. Nothing on the board, so back to EC on a train which stopped at a signal on approach, and I consequently just missed an Edgware Road. Realising the next one would be in 10-12 minutes' time, I headed back to Gloucester Road again! Still nothing on the board, so back to Earl's Court! No sign of another Edgware Road, but a HSK terminator showed as being due in 3 minutes, so I caught that, having wasted something like 20 minutes in the shenanigans - it would probably have been quicker to have gone to HSK on foot in the first place! The board at HSK advised an Edgware Road in 3 minutes and another in 5, so soon I was on my way again. Up to Bayswater, run to Queensway where I passed Kev going the other way (had the Central line train we boarded at Liverpool Street really taken that long to get to Queensway?). Over to Oxford Circus then round to Paddington where I gave some thought to jumping ship as the challenge was already approaching the 3 hour mark and I wasn't quite sure when the main line service would be finishing. Up through the main line platforms to Bishops Road, over to Euston Square and Euston where I (literally) fell on to a southbound Northern Line train back to Embankment. Over to Sloane Square, back to Victoria and down to Vauxhall to stop the watch, then back up to Green Park, Bond Street, and home on the EL. Disappointing to be 20 minutes outside last year's time, but I know where that went!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Great to see lots of familiar faces at the draw. My route with my daughter was unusual.

Liverpool Street round to Tower Hill to see Tower Bridge and the tower of london and have an ice cream.

15 bus passed St Paul's, Trafalgar square and piccadilly circus. Then change into the 139 to Hamleys toy store.

Beenie Baby purchased it was time to catch the 22 to Green Park to Buckingham Palace. Georgie said the palace guards looked a bit scary, so we decided not to go in! Instead, we went to playground. (I never would of guessed there was a playground in the shadow of Buckingham palace!)

Walked to St James park and circle line round to Paddington to visit Paddington at Paddington. Followed by fish and chips at Paddington.

After visiting another playground in Hyde park it was back home via the central line from Lancaster gate.

Tube stations visited: 22
Ice creams: 2
Pigeon chased: 17
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six