Double Stations

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Kristof
Zone 1

Double Stations

Post by Kristof »

Hi everyone,
we are trying to do the full challenge soon.
While we are planning, we realised that there are some stations which have the same name but aren't connected on the tube map.
After some research it seems to be that there are three real double stations: Hammersmith, Edgware Road and Paddington. Are there some more?
Cheers
Kristof
jrparkin
Zone 3

Re: Double Stations

Post by jrparkin »

No those three are the only ones. Shepherds Bush also has two separate stations but one is Overground and the other is Underground. For the Tube Challenge only the Underground station has to be visited
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

And just to confirm Bank / Monument are 2 stations
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Kristof wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 10:23 Hi everyone,
While we are planning, we realised that there are some stations which have the same name but aren't connected on the tube map.
After some research it seems to be that there are three real double stations: Hammersmith, Edgware Road and Paddington. Are there some more?
Cheers
Kristof
Also you might be interested to know that you're officially allowed to visit some tube stations without actually being on a tube train, which I always find a bit of a strange rule myself. An example is Richmond which you can visit on an Overground train because it uses the same tracks and platforms as the DIstrict Line. Also Amersham, using the Chiltern Line, because it also uses the same tracks and platforms as the Metropolitan Line. (If I was writing the rules for the Tube Challenge I'm not sure I would allow anything other than a tube train itself to be used).
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

ANDY_JS wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 16:03
Kristof wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 10:23 Hi everyone,
Cheers
Kristof
Also you might be interested to know that you're officially allowed to visit some tube stations without actually being on a tube train, which I always find a bit of a strange rule myself. An example is Richmond which you can visit on an Overground train because it uses the same tracks and platforms as the DIstrict Line. Also Amersham, using the Chiltern Line, because it also uses the same tracks and platforms as the Metropolitan Line. (If I was writing the rules for the Tube Challenge I'm not sure I would allow anything other than a tube train itself to be used).
This is actually very significant, although I can't help but agree with you. Think I might keep the tube only rule for my attempt, going to and from Richmond on Overground just wouldn't *feel* right
272 stations - 18 hrs 23 minutes 19 seconds

I love Class 700 and Class 800 series trains (yes we exist)
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

I personally think the fact the Underground officially has 3 pairs of stations with the same name as part of the 272 so incredibly stupid. Maybe that's just me and I know they're always right next to each other but come on, different stations shouldn't have the same name. Also weird how TFL shows Edgware Road and Hammersmith as seperate but not Paddington for seemingly no reason. And also currently misleads on how Paddington actually is on the map.
272 stations - 18 hrs 23 minutes 19 seconds

I love Class 700 and Class 800 series trains (yes we exist)
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

I've recently started using Jug Cerovic's version of the tube/rail map:
http://www.inat.fr/map/london-underground-map-update/

I find it a lot clearer than the official map, particularly as it shows things like the configuration of the two Paddington stations. The blog post is from 2018, but he's updated the map with the latest changes.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

I've used Jug Cerovic's maps too for plotting potential routes through all the Seoul Metro and Tokyo Subway stations
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47