Filmed Tube Challenges

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Filmed Tube Challenges

Post by GillagePeople »

I love watching a Tube Challenge attempt online :mrgreen:

But I can basically only find Geoff's and Ally's recent upload, despite Tube Challenge seeming like a natural activity to film (picture/evidence requirements, drama, time to fill through the day etc). Am I just being stupid and missing them all somehow or are there just not many filmed attempts accessible online?

I plan to make a video with my scheduled attempt on April 28, but video editting is something I have experience with and a small part of my job, so maybe I'm not representative of most people.

Am I being blind or is filming just not really the done thing:?:

Cheers
272 stations - 18 hrs 23 minutes 19 seconds

I love Class 700 and Class 800 series trains (yes we exist)
al
Zone 6

Re: Filmed Tube Challenges

Post by al »

I would say filming *wasn't* the done thing. There have been very few attempts since the "final" 270 station record was set, and technology before then didn't lend itself particularly cheaply or easily to recording it. Battery life in particular being a challenge, and also the added aggravation of having to do an extra thing, that at the time wasn't needed.

I'm also not sure where you fall with regards permission to film on TfL property. My guess is that technically it is not allowed without permission.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Das and Andi put together a DVD of their preparations for one of Das's FNC attempts (and the attempt itself of course).

During the build-up to the FNC, the film crew attempted to film a "Bottle" challenge that was taking place one evening (Tube Olympics), starting at Hyde Park Corner.

Unfortunately the Piccadilly Line was so rammed with passengers, that I jumped on the first train, the doors closed behind me, and the film crew were left on the platform!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

al wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 15:17 I would say filming *wasn't* the done thing. There have been very few attempts since the "final" 270 station record was set, and technology before then didn't lend itself particularly cheaply or easily to recording it. Battery life in particular being a challenge, and also the added aggravation of having to do an extra thing, that at the time wasn't needed.

I'm also not sure where you fall with regards permission to film on TfL property. My guess is that technically it is not allowed without permission.
Interesting, I guess that makes a lot of sense. I just really enjoy it. I imagine tfl filming is one of those technically true things you'd never actually get flagged up on

GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

RJSRdg wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:33 Das and Andi put together a DVD of their preparations for one of Das's FNC attempts (and the attempt itself of course).

During the build-up to the FNC, the film crew attempted to film a "Bottle" challenge that was taking place one evening (Tube Olympics), starting at Hyde Park Corner.

Unfortunately the Piccadilly Line was so rammed with passengers, that I jumped on the first train, the doors closed behind me, and the film crew were left on the platform!
Aha I enjoy that Piccadilly Line story. I've always wondered what would happen if similar went down on a multi-person FNC

tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

GillagePeople wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 14:57 I plan to make a video with my scheduled attempt on April 28, but video editting is something I have experience with and a small part of my job, so maybe I'm not representative of most people.
What equipment are you using to film 16 hours+ Batteries/SD cards only last 90 mins. Are you taking a stack of them?
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tufnellpark wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 07:41
GillagePeople wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 14:57 I plan to make a video with my scheduled attempt on April 28, but video editting is something I have experience with and a small part of my job, so maybe I'm not representative of most people.
What equipment are you using to film 16 hours+ Batteries/SD cards only last 90 mins. Are you taking a stack of them?
I have seen GoPros advertised that will take SD cards which by my calculation are capable of recording for 16+ hours, at least on a lower quality setting.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

RJSRdg wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:33 Das and Andi put together a DVD of their preparations for one of Das's FNC attempts (and the attempt itself of course).

watch this space a new preparation film will be made march 18th at kingsway parkrun
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

tufnellpark wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 07:41
Was planning on taking maybe around a pack of batteries. I've had SD cards with a lot of footage in the past but could bring multiple if necessary. But mainly was going to film nowhere near all of the run. Not even 20% of it I'd imagine.

DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

GillagePeople wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 22:51

Aha I enjoy that Piccadilly Line story. I've always wondered what would happen if similar went down on a multi-person FNC
Well now...

I imagine it would be a bit like this.

The first line there gives a big hint as to the fancy dress I was wearing all day. Disappointed now that I never did "write a bit more later".
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

The "Browns" have several on DVD - somewhere in the house !
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

Going Underground wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 17:33 The "Browns" have several on DVD - somewhere in the house !
GET ME COPIES OF ALL KEVIN PLEASE
tube olympic winner once
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

Going Underground wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 17:33 The "Browns" have several on DVD - somewhere in the house !
Get them out to the millions and millions of Tube Challenge fans waiting with baited breath

Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

filming was done at kingsway parkrun last saturday it is the beginning of the film adventure for july 1st week cant say much for now but i keep the forum informed!.
tube olympic winner once