Managing Expectations

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Managing Expectations

Post by Sam »

RJSRdg wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 11:12 I am of the understanding (and I'm sure either of them will correct me if I'm wrong) that Andi and Steve's record run went to plan apart from the last train being nine minutes late.
If a train was late then it didn't run to plan... :mrgreen:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

100% completion rate for me!

That's one attempt, one completion. And realistically, I'm not sure I'll have another attempt after 14 years since the last one of getting older. So the 100% may stand.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

RJSRdg wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 11:12 I am of the understanding (and I'm sure either of them will correct me if I'm wrong) that Andi and Steve's record run went to plan apart from the last train being nine minutes late.
It did (I was stop watch operator).

I'd say if you start early and are able to plan on the fly if something gets suspended then you have a pretty good chance of a completion. Many of my runs weren't completions, but mainly because once things had gone too far awry I knew I wasn't going to beat my best time
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

Damn so 15:45 could have been 15:36 :!:
272 stations - 18 hrs 23 minutes 19 seconds

I love Class 700 and Class 800 series trains (yes we exist)
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 16:30 100% completion rate for me!

I've only attempted 1 FNC. I got about an hour in before my planned Oylmpia train didn't turn up and I had to wait for the next one. I had various other delays during the day and ended up finishing more than 90 minutes behind my planned schedule. I didn't have the confidence to re-route on the fly then (not sure I do now even) so I stuck to my route and sucked up the delays. (The major delays all came when there was nothing I could do about them anyway, like being stuck at Woodford for half a hour waiting for a Hailnault train.)

There's always a chance that things will go horribly wrong, but I agree that it's unlikely to not be able to complete.

28th April seems fine. Good time of year weather-wise. Central line isn't doing night tube that evening, but they should still be running trains until a little after midnight.

Whatever happens, have fun!
Nice to hear you finished with delays even while sticking to your route. Makes me feel better about not having the knowledge to be confident rerouting on the go. Also I was very worried about missing the first Olympia train so that's also good.

Genuinely this has calmed my nerves a good chunk :D

RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I've found with some of my more recent planned routes (bearing in mind that at the moment I'm looking more at setting a time than being fastest - though hopefully still fast enough to beat Andrew C's current unofficial record), that often there can be more than one order of visiting a set of stations, that still completes that set by the same time.
For example, although my NW start route uses the first available starting train, catching the next train instead still feeds into the same train later on. This came in quite useful on my test day last September, where the bus between Canon's Park and Edgware got caught up in roadworks, and I was just able to switch to the route from the later start and catch up with myself later on.

In particular, the different routes between Morden and Wimbledon, and the relative infrequency of District Line trains from Wimbledon (depending which way you're going at Earl's Court) can introduce a catch-up opportunity.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
GillagePeople
Zone 1

Post by GillagePeople »

RJSRdg wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 20:43 I've found with some of my more recent planned routes (bearing in mind that at the moment I'm looking more at setting a time than being fastest - though hopefully still fast enough to beat Andrew C's current unofficial record), that often there can be more than one order of visiting a set of stations, that still completes that set by the same time.
For example, although my NW start route uses the first available starting train, catching the next train instead still feeds into the same train later on. This came in quite useful on my test day last September, where the bus between Canon's Park and Edgware got caught up in roadworks, and I was just able to switch to the route from the later start and catch up with myself later on.

In particular, the different routes between Morden and Wimbledon, and the relative infrequency of District Line trains from Wimbledon (depending which way you're going at Earl's Court) can introduce a catch-up opportunity.
Yea I found this route planning with late met line trains out to the far North West, or with going round the Hainault loop. Nice to have some leeway in a few places :)