FNC Attempt: Spring 2023

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TwoobileeLine
Zone 1

FNC Attempt: Spring 2023

Post by TwoobileeLine »

Hi all, I've come back from the dead with a plan.

I'm working on a route for a Full Network Challenge to be completed in the Spring. I was wondering if any of you had some points of advice for things I have to consider while developing the route, bearing in mind I plan to start at Epping (my closest terminus), and finish at Heathrow T5 (my girlfriend's closest terminus). I know I need to bear in mind the Olympia problem, plus the trickiness introduced by the new Battersea branch (go on foot to Battersea Park and into Victoria?).

Looking forward to any advice you can give me,

J
Planning FNC in Spring 2023
Completed Zone 1 in 3:24:55
DLR Practise Run in 2:27:17
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: FNC Attempt: Spring 2023

Post by RJSRdg »

That's not how I'd do Battersea, but as I'm also hoping to do an FNC at some point, I'm not going to say how I would do it.... ;-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

TwoobileeLine wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 21:32 Hi all, I've come back from the dead with a plan.

I'm working on a route for a Full Network Challenge to be completed in the Spring. I was wondering if any of you had some points of advice for things I have to consider while developing the route, bearing in mind I plan to start at Epping (my closest terminus), and finish at Heathrow T5 (my girlfriend's closest terminus). I know I need to bear in mind the Olympia problem, plus the trickiness introduced by the new Battersea branch (go on foot to Battersea Park and into Victoria?).

Looking forward to any advice you can give me,

J
WELL seeing as u not finishing or starting at NORTH WEST CORNER i would suggest finding a nice fast MARLYEBONE chiltern train.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

The first thing is expect to change the route at some point and come up with a back up plan. On my own FNC attempt this happened quite early and due to inexperience and over learning my route I couldn't think on my feet and change it quickly enough wasting myself valuable minutes

Also when doing the West Ham to Upminster and back, use a c2c and a District line train (or vice versa). Using just a District line train both ways is a time sink, it took me 80 minutes with no significant delays
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

If you could change your start and end stations around then the Olympia problem is easily solved. This would have the disadvantage of having to do the Hailnault loop late at night but overall chances of a completion would be higher.

If you can't use a Chiltern Train for the NW corner, the Met line runs Fast and Semi-Fast services in the morning and evening peak, which skip some stations. Also, getting a bus between Amersham and Chesham might be faster than going via Chalfont & Latimer.

The easiest way to do the Battersea branch would be to simply to go up and down it. However, both BPS and Nine Elms are pretty close to Vauxhall, and other stations. There's also buses between BPS and Vauxhall if the run is a bit much.

Expect things to go wrong. Aim to have fun.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Current South London record holder - 2:04:11
1 pint in 18 seconds