Pre-R15 Bottle

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Pre-R15 Bottle

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

As there were no engineering works on any Underground lines this weekend, I went down to London for the Random 15 early with plan of slipping in another alternative challenge beforehand. This is part of a very loose plan for me to eventually complete all the alternative challenges. I decided to do the Bottle challenge as it was the longest challenge I could fit into the time I had available. The planned route was:

Aldgate :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Warren Street :arrow: (run) Euston Square :arrow: GPS :arrow: (run) Regent's Park :arrow: Edgware Road (Bakerloo) :arrow: (run) Edgware Road (Circle) :arrow: HSK :arrow: NHG :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: KXSP :arrow: Gloucester Road :arrow: Westminster

The Aldgate start allowed me to not have to wait for a Circle line train later on in the challenge, which would have been 10 minutes, maybe even more. Arriving from Birmingham into Euston at about quarter to 9 I made my way to Aldgate for half past nine and started at 09:36. Whilst on the first train I realised that it would probably have been better to stay on until Gloucester Road and do the rest of the route in reverse, finising at Charing Cross. But I already had a schedule and door positions worked out so stuck with the plan I had.

Overall it went very well, and there's not masses to say about it. I had some very good connections and some less good connections but never any really long waits. The runs between stations along the top edge off the bottle took less time than I'd allowed (as not allowing enough time can be demoralising) so that put me a little ahead of schedule. Coming into High Street Kensington there was a train in the opposite platform. I didn't make it for a perfect doubleback, so then expected a 5 minute wait here. But the timetable must have been off as another train turned up about a minute later.

Things slowed down slightly at the end as the Piccadilly line was getting very busy and I think stopping a little longer at each station due to the high volume of people. Then onto a very busy District line train to finish in a time of 1:57:43.

Then, with just under an hour until the day's main event started, I bought some lunch and headed to Euston Square (again!).
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds