The ones I've not been to, on or through

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Elsie
Zone 3

The ones I've not been to, on or through

Post by Elsie »

Whilst in London on the weekend of the Queens funeral, I was on the steps of The Embankment, slipped, fell and in the process, re-broke my right ankle. :oops:

This was almost exactly 3 months to the day since I last broke it in June at Twickenham. I was surrounded by people helping me, Police, Ambulance called, loaded into the back of it parked right in front of Big Ben in the middle of the Police quordon stopping people from getting to Westminster. Oh the embarrassment. I was taken to Guys & St Thomas who X-rayed me on equipment and IT systems I support as my job, so it was a kind of busman's holiday, although a rather painful one.

Anyway, this has well and truly put paid to any thought of any challenges except ones that are personal to me. I'd been looking at the TFL map and realized that in all my visits to London and trips on the trains, there were some places and lines I've never been to/on/through. I've got a free Saturday coming up so I'm coming down to (carefully, under pain of death from my GF if I injure myself before we go on holiday in December), try and tick some of these off. These include

Stratford International (Going on HS1)
Romford
Upminster
Barking
Barking Riverside
Fenchurch St (I have never even seen Fenchurch St, except on a Monopoly board ... or ridden a C2C train)
Richmond
Heathrow T5
Ealing Broadway

I'm not racing, I'm not running (I can't!) and if I don't do everything I want, it can wait for another day. I'm only doing this for me, just because I want to get out and see these places, ride on lines/trains that I've not done before.

Only you lot will have any inkling of why I want to do this; everyone else thinks I'm nuts.

#dowhatmakesyouhappy
Elsie
al
Zone 6

Re: The ones I've not been to, on or through

Post by al »

Two nice clusters of stations there. Enjoy yourself!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Sorry to hear about your ankle, Elsie, and that we probably won't be seeing you at events any more (although of course if you happen to be in London on an R15 day or similar you can always join us at the meetup afterwards).

I've still got quite a few places to get to:

Chesham
Watford (Met)
Croxley
Barking Riverside
Tattenham Corner (have been to all the other stations on the branch)
Epsom branch
Meridian Water
Various other stations on that part of the former WAGN network such as Turkey Street.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

I would like to visit the first eight stations as per the Labryinth route as I didn't see those during my recent trip as I didn't visit them during practice or on the actual attempt because of a lack of signal staff

Another thing I would like to do is visit the stations that made up the East London Underground line, I know it's Overground now and they don't count but the super completionist in me would like to visit them at some point
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

If you're going for a super completion, then all stations between Amersham and Aylesbury would also need to be visited, along with Quainton Road (gets occasional trains from Aylesbury for gala days at Buckinghamshire Railway Centre), also Upminster-Southend and Ealing Broadway-Windsor & Eton Central.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!