Random 15 Championship 2022/23: Round 1

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2022/23: Round 1

Post by RJSRdg »

I wonder whether it might be worth withdrawing those ten stations listed from the draw if they are going to be very busy.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

RJSRdg wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 00:52 I wonder whether it might be worth withdrawing those ten stations listed from the draw if they are going to be very busy.
Not really, you will almost certainly need to pass through some of them during the event and is only going to be a potential issue if you are planning on entering or exiting at any of them which could be a possibility wheter they are in the draw or not
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

It will be very busy wherever we go. Although yes, some stations will be busier than others. I consider it part of the challenge. We'll just have to take it as it comes.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

This event is still going ahead as planned and with no engineering work on the Underground network there will be quite a pool of stations that could crop up- considering we are extending out in zone 3.

The pub booking with the Sheaf on Southwark Street has been confirmed- so we have a guaranteed table (and dartboard) there for our evening social. We will pay our respects to Her Majesty's passing in some way during our day.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

All very quiet and easy to get about this evening, even Green Park no issue changing there, let's see what Saturday brings!
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I seem to have misplaced the results sheet. Do any of you who completed yesterday still have a record of your time for the results post/leaderboard scores/top times.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tangy wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 10:36 I seem to have misplaced the results sheet. Do any of you who completed yesterday still have a record of your time for the results post/leaderboard scores/top times.
04:15:53
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The latest round nearly got off to the worst possible start for me - having made a mental note that I needed to leave Reading at around 11:00, somehow my brain changed this to leaving home at 11:00, so by the time I had walked to Reading station, bought a ticket and got on a train, it was 11:27 (due in Paddington at 11:54). I had originally intended to walk to Lancaster Gate and catch the 274 to Primrose Hill from there, but as time was pressing, I opted to catch the Bakerloo to Baker Street, but then being unsure of where the 274's stop at Baker Street was, or how long I would have to wait, I opted to power walk across Regent's Park and up the hill instead. Arrived at the top at 12:01 (by which point knees and ankles were already beginning to protest), just in time to see Tangy disappear off in a different direction. However Das, A2, Kev and Jenny were still at the top and A2 was able to give me a spare envelope. After a few seconds to get my breath back and glance at the list (noticing that there were a number of stations down the Hammersmith branch), it was back down the hill to the 274 bus stop for a bus to Baker Street. Bus arrived promptly, but as it was on time, TfL decided to hold it for a few minutes so that it wasn't... However that did give me more time to peruse the list and notice the complication of Kilburn Park, which meant it wasn't going to be as simple as a straight run to Hammersmith.

8 minute wait at Baker Street for the first westbound train, to the first two stations of Paddington H&C/C and Royal Oak, then up to Warwick Avenue (the pedestrian crossing was kind, for once!) and along the Bakerloo to Kilburn Park. A five minute or so wait there for a Number 31 down to Westbourne Park, where I just missed one westbound train, but caught the next train to Hammersmith via Ladbroke Grove. Over the road to Hammersmith D&P and onto a westbound Piccadilly Line train to South Ealing. Doubled back to Acton Town, where it was announced that the Olympia service had been suspended owing to a tree on the line. One stop on the District to Chiswick Park, then walk/run/bus to Gunnersbury. On to the next southbound service, but as a northbound District Line train was waiting in the other platform, I surmised that there wouldn't be another service in that direction for the next 10 minutes. As I passed another a couple of minutes later, I concluded that there wouldn't be another for a good while, so I carried on through Kew Gardens to Richmond, passing another north/eastbound District Line train on the approach. Next train from the SWR platforms was a stopper calling at Putney, due in 8 minutes but running late. As the next District was due out in five, and I was still unsure of the status of the Olympia branch, I opted to retrace my steps rather than access the Wimbledon branch via Putney/East Putney. At Turnham Green, there was a rare Piccadilly in the other side of the platform, so I changed trains, only for it to stay there until after the District had departed. Over to Earl's Court on the Picc, although I'm not sure I gained much over the District, as, having overtaken it, it pulled into Barons Court just behind my train.

At Earl's Court, up in the lift to the concourse and down the stairs to the westbound platform, where an Olympia train was waiting (with Jenny on board). Up to Kensington Olympia and over to the other platform, where a southbound Overground was pulling in. Down to West Brompton - nine minute wait for a District. At one point Jenny suggested that we could have walked to Earl's Court in the time, but of course that would have invalidated the visit to WB. Leaving WB on an Upminster train, Jenny disembarked at Victoria, I carried on eastwards to Embankment, then up to Goodge Street, back down to TCR and along the Central Line to Liverpool Street via Holborn. Good change at Liverpool Street to a Barking service, two stops to Whitechapel. Just missed an Overground (owing to confusion over door positions) and the next was a Dalston Junction terminator, so a wait of around 8 minutes for a service to Highbury & Islington. Then up the Vic to Finsbury Park and down the Picc to Arsenal. Time on the watch 4:13:53, but two minutes added for the late start, making 4:15:53 in total.

Quite a nice Challenge in the end, making use of several of the regular OSIs, and good Challenging weather - dry, but not too hot.

Thoughts on the post-challenge pub:

Positives - handy for London Bridge (Northern Line), not as cramped as the Brickies and better toilets!
Negatives - very noisy, drinks expensive (£2.90 for a tiny bottle of apple juice), got jostled by darts players on the next ocky while results were being read out, some "regulars" seemed disappointed that our board was booked out.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

A2, Das, Kev 3:54:18 at Victoria
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

From the top of Primrose Hill we headed down to Chalk Farm and a southbound Northern line train to Goodge Street where we doubled back to Warren Street. Up the Victoria line to Finsbury Park and a reverse down the Piccadilly through Arsenal to Holborn. Change to the Central line to Mile End and a reverse on the District to Whitechapel.

Changing at Whitechapel to the Elizabeth line we were a Ross to Paddington where we marvelled at the sheer choice of escalators and made what seemed to be an ok choice. Onto the Bakerloo and an out and back to Kilburn Park. Back at Paddington we ran up the platforms to Paddington H&C just in time to miss a Goldhawk Road terminator, but the next through train was just a few minute behind. Down to Hammersmith via Royal Oak and Westbourne Park we croased the road for our next big decision.

With the wait for a Richmond train being 10+ minutes we opted for a Piccadilly line service to South Ealing where we were at exactly the wrong end of the train to reverse onto a service about to pull in. As it turned out we need not have rushed as there was an announcement shortly afterwards about disruption ahead due to a passenger alarm being pulled, and "we could be some time". Reviewing our options we considered the 65 bus to Ealing Broadway but eventually settled on the 65 bus towards Kew Gardens. After a slow ride, and a run along the street to the station we were greeted with an Overground train to Gunnersbury, from where we ran to Chiswick Park. Eventually a District line service showed up and we headed to Earls Court.

Earls Court gave us another dilemma. Do we wait 12 minutes for the Olympia service which would connect to the Overground, or risk a tight double back at West Brompton first. We decided to wait, and as it turned out the return service from WB opened its doors at Earls Court at the same time as the Olympia service so we would probably have missed it.

We therefore went up to Olympia, crossed to the Overground and down to West Brompton where a Distinct line train was already in platform. Thanks to luck rather than judgement we had lined up with the gap in the fence so got straight on it. It turned out to be a Barking service so we stayed on it all the way through to our last station at Victoria where the doors took an age to open (and then a couple of stops further for a quick refreshment at Cannon Street).

03:54.18 @ Victoria - A2, Das & Kev.
- Andrew
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Primrose Hill is lovely (thanks Andrew C), but very glad I'm living in Yorkshire so had some hill-walking practice for the past few months :D

I stayed at the top of the hill for a couple of minutes to decide on a rough route before heading down hill. Got to say hello to Rich before setting off, for a brisk walk down - a lot quicker than going up! Pleased to see that Kev, A2 and Daz were still on the platform at Chalk Farm when I got there, but that was the last I saw of them.

I took the same train as them to Goodge Street but stayed on to TCR, changing for the Central to Holborn, where I switched to the Piccadilly line. Made an error during the change - I remembered that you can nip through the gate as a shortcut to the platform, but couldn't remember which direction it was for. Of course, it was the westbound, so I had to go back up the steps and round to the eastbound platform. Not sure if I missed a train in that time, but didn't have long to wait for another. Up to Arsenal and then just missed a quick double-back. Down to King's Cross, fast change onto a Northern to Bank. Slogged up the escalators to Monument and a couple of minutes wait for an Upminster train to Whitechapel.

I haven't travelled much on the Elizabeth line, so wasn't sure of the best interchange there. Seemed to take a long time to get to the platform but the train pulled in a couple of minutes later for the fast ride (15 minutes) to Paddington. First time ever I've seen people snorting coke on public transport before - must get a different class of punter on Crossrail. As luck would have it I was in exactly the right carriage to take the "shortcut" to the Bakerloo line for the double-back up to Kilburn Park. Got to the Paddington C/H&C platform to find I had a 9-minute wait. I don't know if I'd just missed one - as both Circle and H&C were both running I'd assumed there'd be a maximum 4-5 minute wait. However, at this point I discovered that the District was suspended at Olympia, so thought I could go west from Hammersmith if necessary.

A couple of minutes later James arrived on the platform and we travelled south together through Royal Oak and Ladbroke Grove. It was pretty clear that he was going to bail out early to head to Olympia. I didn't tell him about the suspension hoping that it might slow him down a bit ... At the end of the line I crossed over to the Hammersmith D&P station and found that the suspension had been lifted (damn you, James!), so I headed east instead. Once at Earl's Court I checked the departure boards on platforms 1 and 2 - a long wait for a Wimbledon train, but only a minute for Olympia, which then pulled in in front of me (sorry Andrew C). Just me, Rich and a couple of pigeons made the journey, where we had a fast connection to the Overground to West Brompton. As Rich said, we had a 9-minute wait for the District line going east again (just as well I didn't walk to Earl's Court). Got to Victoria and then hopped on a slow-moving westbound towards Ealing Broadway. There were a lot of Richmond trains on the departure board, but I didn't fancy the amount of time it would take to do the double-back, so I switched to a Piccadilly line train at Barons Court down to Southfields.

Lovely return train from there to Acton Town and then only a minute to wait for a District line through Chiswick Park to Turnham Green. I'd completely forgotten that the District and Overground are on the same tracks down to Richmond, so hadn't got off to do the walk from Chiswick Park to Gunnersbury. This meant I had another 10 minute wait for a District down to Kew Gardens to finish in 4:10:41. Having seen the other times, even if I had done the walk it wouldn't have been enough to beat the team ahead of me.

Fun as always, and looking forward to November already.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Capelblue
Zone 1

Post by Capelblue »

tangy wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 10:36 I seem to have misplaced the results sheet. Do any of you who completed yesterday still have a record of your time for the results post/leaderboard scores/top times.
Hi Tangy, 3:54:22, Ian
Capelblue
Zone 1

Post by Capelblue »

We started our route at Chalk Farm, and realising we were on a Bank branch train, changed at Camden Town to a Charing Cross branch, and quickly picked up Goodge Street. We changed to the Piccadilly line at Leicester Square and went through Holborn and Arsenal before changing to the Vic at Finsbury Park for the quick change at Highbury and Islington onto the overground where Rhys shot past us in the opposite direction. This took us to Whitechapel where we picked up the District line (Richmond train) and trundled down to Earl's Court picking up Victoria on the way. There was a Wimbledon train there but we held off as there was a tantalising Olympia train showing in 2 minutes. It never got less than 2 minutes, it went up to 3, it showed as held, went back to 2, then it said information update and fell behind a Richmond train. We were joined by Andrew Chilcraft as the pattern repeated, we eventually gave up when a Parsons Green train came in after wasting 24 minutes, and headed to West Brompton where we doubled back on the overground to Olympia. Here we had a stroke of luck as a District line train was waiting and we were on our way within a minute. We changed at HSK to Paddington where we changed to the Bakerloo line to pick up Kilburn Park, missing the southbound train by seconds, although another one followed within 2 minutes. We hurtled through Paddington, and again missed the Hammersmith train by seconds, this time though there was a 9 minute wait ! Pesky Kilburn Park !!. After passing through Royal Oak and Ladbroke Grove we arrived at Hammersmith and we picked up a Richmond train to Kew Gardens. We doubled back on the overground to Gunnersbury and went on foot to Chiswick Park, taking a train to Acton Town where we connected to the Piccadilly line and finished at South Ealing in a time of 3:54:22
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

12:30 comes and we all frantically open our envelopes. A quick glance down showed that we had nothing to visit in the immediate area, so we all ran to Chalk Farm and planned as we went, except Jenny. I was first to set off and also first to arrive at Chalk Farm station. Straight into a lift, the only challenger there so far, but as the doors were closing another woman pushed them back open. They started to close again, leaving 2 more women outside, unsure as to whether or not they should try to get in. Whilst they were deciding, Andrew pushes past them, opens the door again and joins me in the lift. Rhys follows a moment later. The 2 cautious women do so to and the lift eventually starts to descend. At platform level Andrew, Rhys and I run to the platform to just miss a southbound train. If it wasn't for Andrew and Rhys, I would have made that train!

Next train was a Bank branch, so it was down to KXSP then up the Piccadilly to Arsenal, then some route to Whitechapel. My initial idea was to continue to Finsbury Park, head down to H&I then take the Overground round. However I eventually opted for Thameslink to Farringdon the Elizabeth Line (God save the Queen etc.) to Whitechapel. Andrew told me in the pub that he also considered this, but didn't think he'd make the 12:52 and didn't want to wait for the 13:08. I was blissfully unaware of this as I changed to the NR rail station at Finsbury Park and just managed to catch the 12:52 which was running about 4 minutes late.

Very long runs within stations at both Farringdon and Whitechapel. Missed a District by seconds so jumped on the next one, then changed to the H&C train behind at Aldgate East as it allowed for a much easier and probably faster overall connection to the Central line. So changed at Liverpool Street, passed through Holborn then headed for the Northern at TCR.

Caught up with Andrew on the run between platforms and we both headed north through Goodge Street to Warren Street then headed down the Victoria together. At this point I guessed that we probably had exactly the same idea for a route - Earl's Court area, Paddington area, down the Hammersmith loop then head west. We also have very similar running paces, meaning that I'd have to do something different if we weren't to be stuck together all afternoon. It was also around this point that we had announcements of severe delays on the District. Changing at Victoria, we caught the first train west, which was a Circle. I then made the decision to do the Paddington area before the Earl's Court area, so stayed on the train when he got off at Gloucester Road. This proved to have fateful consequences.

Carrying on round to Paddington, I checked the station list and - once again - found that I'd planned to visit the wrong Paddington. This meant that I couldn't cut the corner off the Kilburn Park double back as originally planned. I also realised that I should have doubled back from Victoria to Oxford Circus then changed to the Bakerloo. Ah well!

Paddington (Praed Street) gave me my one good change of the day. The bitter irony is that the train then crawled all the way to Kilburn Park. Back to Paddington and I did what is becoming one of my least favorite runs to the other Paddington, where I met a 3 minute wait for a westbound train and Jenny. With internet now available I planned my Olympia timings and saw that I should be able to make the 14:55 Overground at Shepherd's Bush for a near-perfect Olympia.
EastActionWoman wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 23:32 I didn't tell him about the suspension hoping that it might slow him down a bit ...
Oo, you sly thing Jenny!

Ran from Shepherd's Bush Market to Shepherd's Bush NR. The Overground train was bang on time but there was no District line train to be seen upon arrival. A moment's panic, but it turned up about a minute later and left 4 minutes behind schedule. So 6 minute wait for an Olympia train. Could do worse
EastActionWoman wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 23:32 ...and found that the suspension had been lifted (damn you, James!)
Mwahahahaha!

Of course, I had no idea at this point just how lucky I was.

Down to Earl's Court and easy change to a train for West Brompton. The next train back when I arrived was a whopping 12 minutes away, so I decided **** that and ran to West Kensington. There was then a 6 minute wait for the next train there... which was for Ealing Broadway. This meant needing to change at Hammersmith (D&P) and I had the choice of doing South Ealing or Kew Gardens first. I decided on South Ealing first, partially because it meant I could travel express through a few stations, but mostly because a Heathrow train came before a Richmond one. Got held outside Acton Town for ages, then crawled down to South Ealing. No idea how long I waited for a train back but it was probably about 8 minutes. Certainly long enough for 2 more westbound trains to pass through. Eventually made it back to Acton Town then passed through Chiswick Park to Turnham Green and then finished at Kew Gardens.

So final route was Primrose Hill :arrow: (run) Chalk Farm :arrow: KXSP :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: (NR) Farringdon :arrow: (CrossPurpElizLine) Whitechapel :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: TCR :arrow: Warren Street :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Paddington (Praed Street) :arrow: KIlburn Park :arrow: :arrow: Paddington (Praed Street) :arrow: Paddington (H&C) :arrow: Shepherd's Bush Market :arrow: (run) Shepherd's Bush (NR) :arrow: (Overground) Kensington (Olympia) :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: West Brompton :arrow: (run) West Kensington :arrow: Hammersmith (D&P) :arrow: South Ealing :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Turnham Green :arrow: Kew Gardens

Was I the only person to not run between Chiswick Park and Gunnersbury? Maybe I'd had enough of running by the point so didn't consider it.

And finally, as well as Underground trains, I used Overground, Elizabeth Line and National Rail on the challenge. If only I'd known about the buses from South Ealing to Chiswick Park!
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The heavily delayed results of round 1 of the 2022/23 Random 15 Championship held on Saturday 17th September 2022.

Round 1 as is traditional was the Champion's Twist and thus last year's champion, Andrew Chilcraft, gave us the following: 15 LU stations in zones 1-3 with the starting point being the viewing area at the summit of Primrose Hill!

The 15 stations that needed to be visited were:
--Hammersmith (D&P)
--Ladbroke Grove
--Arsenal
--Kilburn Park
--Whitechapel
--Victoria (LU)
--West Brompton
--Kensington Olympia
--South Ealing
--Holborn
--Paddington (H&C)
--Chiswick Park
--Goodge Street
--Kew Gardens
--Royal Oak

We had 11 challengers split into 8 teams:

8th: Rhys Jackson- Declared 03:43:25 but did not arrive or depart Whitechapel on an LU train, thus only 14 stations visited correctly.
7th: Andrew Chilcraft 04:19:01 at Kensington Olympia
6th: Tangy 04:17:12 at South Ealing
5th: Richard Standing 04:15:53 at Arsenal
4th: Jenny Sherman 04:10:41 at Kew Gardens
3rd: Team Ian (Ian Mcintyre and Ian Imrie) 03:54:22 at South Ealing
2nd: Kevin Brown, Andrew Baker and Das Stevens 03:54:18 at Victoria
1st: James Ramsbottom 03:37:57 at Kew Gardens

The leaderboard after round 1:

1. James Ramsbottom (12 points) [1 round attended]
=2. Kevin Brown (10) [1]
=2. Andrew Baker (10) [1]
=2. Das Stevens (10) [1]
=5. Ian McIntyre (8) [1]
=5. Ian Imrie (8) [1]
7. Jenny Sherman (7) [1]
8. Richard Standing (6) [1]
9. Tangy (5) [1]
10. Andrew Chilcraft (4) [1]
11. Rhys Jackson (3) [1]

The next round will be held on Saturday 19th November 2022. Hope to see you there!

Tangy
The BERC

Tangy.