DLR Challenge 6/8/2022

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

DLR Challenge 6/8/2022

Post by RJSRdg »

Determined to go out somewhere last Saturday (it being the only Saturday in a run of four where there isn't a rail strike), I decided in the end to opt for a fresh attempt on the DLR Challenge (I did think of taking a ride on the Dangleway first, until I saw the queues - was there a big event on at the O2?).

So Crossrail to Custom House and up to Beckton to start the Challenge (this was a somewhat spontaneous attempt with no planning or consultation of timetables beforehand). Over to Poplar, and almost straight away on a train up to Stratford. Down to the other line and a three minute (TfL minutes...) wait for the train to International, where I was joined by a pair of fellow railway enthusiasts probably in their late 50s discussing the Manx Electric Railway, amongst others. Quick turnaround and down to Woolwich Arsenal, noticing on the way that the queues for the Dangleway were no shorter than they had been over an hour earlier. Leaving my new friends behind there, I went up to the NR station (which fortunately hadn't caught fire this time!) and six minute wait for a stopper to Lewisham, arriving 16:44. Slightly less than ideal door positioning here and not quite quick enough out of the blocks and I arrived on the DLR platform just in time to see the doors close on a Bank service, so a five minute wait. Up to Bank and a quick double back to Shadwell where a Tower Gateway train was just pulling in, and I, for some inexplicable reason, didn't get on it! Realising my error just as the doors closed, I had another six minute wait before reaching TG in a slightly disappointing time of 2:!8:39 - with care, a 2:06 might have been possible.

I take my hat off to those who've managed it in under 2 hours....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tintin
Zone 1

Re: DLR Challenge 6/8/2022

Post by tintin »

RJSRdg wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 21:51 Determined to go out somewhere last Saturday (it being the only Saturday in a run of four where there isn't a rail strike), I decided in the end to opt for a fresh attempt on the DLR Challenge (I did think of taking a ride on the Dangleway first, until I saw the queues - was there a big event on at the O2?).

So Crossrail to Custom House and up to Beckton to start the Challenge (this was a somewhat spontaneous attempt with no planning or consultation of timetables beforehand). Over to Poplar, and almost straight away on a train up to Stratford. Down to the other line and a three minute (TfL minutes...) wait for the train to International, where I was joined by a pair of fellow railway enthusiasts probably in their late 50s discussing the Manx Electric Railway, amongst others. Quick turnaround and down to Woolwich Arsenal, noticing on the way that the queues for the Dangleway were no shorter than they had been over an hour earlier. Leaving my new friends behind there, I went up to the NR station (which fortunately hadn't caught fire this time!) and six minute wait for a stopper to Lewisham, arriving 16:44. Slightly less than ideal door positioning here and not quite quick enough out of the blocks and I arrived on the DLR platform just in time to see the doors close on a Bank service, so a five minute wait. Up to Bank and a quick double back to Shadwell where a Tower Gateway train was just pulling in, and I, for some inexplicable reason, didn't get on it! Realising my error just as the doors closed, I had another six minute wait before reaching TG in a slightly disappointing time of 2:!8:39 - with care, a 2:06 might have been possible.

I take my hat off to those who've managed it in under 2 hours....
I think under two hours is only possible on weekdays, and specifically edges of peak hours when there are more frequent trains but fewer passengers (because the most significant delay you'll experience is excessive dwell time caused by people getting on and off).
Tramlink: 2:07:14 (301219)
DLR: 1:56:33 (130320)
South of the River: 2:05:58 (050220)
South of the River post NLE: 2:04:34 (210921)
Copenhagen Metro 1:47:13 (050723)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

That's a good thought, but I don't think I encountered many long waits on Saturday (and those that I did I could iron out if I did it again).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I must admit I've never worked out how to get under two hours on paper.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.