Cannon Street Run XV - Talk Like a Pirate day Friday 16th Sep 2022 - Ye Olde all lines

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Re: Cannon Street Run XV - Talk Like a Pirate day Friday 16th Sep 2022 - Ye Olde all lines

Post by EastActionWoman »

Attendance list
GU, EAW
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Cannon Street Run XV - Talk Like a Pirate day Friday 16th Sep 2022 - Ye Olde all lines

Post by tractakid »

Afraid I won't be able to make this one.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Is it just me and you, GU? :lol:

Just done my recce run - 49:24 finishing at Euston Square. I'm concentrating on easy interchanges so avoiding Green Park. Having said that, I only do more than one stop on the Northern and Victoria lines.

Had some nice changes, but got held up for 2 mins at Bank, 2 mins at Piccadilly Circus and 4 mins at Bond Street). Got lucky with H&C - there was a Barking train waiting in platform when I got there.

Of course, this was all done in the quiet of the middle of the day. Will be different this evening, though I'm hoping a lot of City folk will be working from home or heading to the pub after work as it's Friday.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

EastActionWoman wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 13:29 Is it just me and you, GU? :lol:

Just done my recce run - 49:24 finishing at Euston Square. I'm concentrating on easy interchanges so avoiding Green Park. Having said that, I only do more than one stop on the Northern and Victoria lines.

Had some nice changes, but got held up for 2 mins at Bank, 2 mins at Piccadilly Circus and 4 mins at Bond Street). Got lucky with H&C - there was a Barking train waiting in platform when I got there.

Of course, this was all done in the quiet of the middle of the day. Will be different this evening, though I'm hoping a lot of City folk will be working from home or heading to the pub after work as it's Friday.
Could well be EAW :lol:
Yes I was hoping to avoid Green Park has hate changing there at best of times :roll:
Remember you get any train between 1800-1930 and abort / re-start as many times as you like, so might be a little quieter a bit later on. Good luck may see you at some point later, if not then at the R15 :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

W & C currently suspended due defective train
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Could all able shipmates please pm me their total voyage time and final port of docking... yee can send the whole voyage log if yee wants but not necessary... Arrrrr shiver me timbers!!!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Avast yee here be the log times
EAW - Bosun Jenny - DNF, still adrift at sea !
RJSRdg - Cap'n Rich 1:09:48 weighing anchor at Leicester Square
GU - Admiral Kev 42:40 weighing anchor at Euston Square

Shiver me timbers until we sail the salt waters again!!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I had intended to get to Cannon Street for an 18:00 start to try to get a couple of attempts in.

Unfortunately I had to wait for Enterprise to come and collect a hire car, so I was unable to leave home until 17:15 and did not start the Challenge until 18:35. District Line to Monument, down the stairs and escalator to the Northern Line. Next train, 8 minutes, Out of Service. First in-service train three minutes later. So I aborted, back up to Monument, Cannon Street and start again. And it happened again! Back to Cannon Street...

On the way back, I decided a change of plan was needed. So this time, from Monument, I "ran" up King William Street and boarded a Central Line train to Liverpool Street. Met west to Moorgate, Circle to Farringdon. Up and over to the other side, another Circle coming so let that go and caught the H&C behind it (8 mins wait), back to Moorgate. Down the Northern Line back to Bank, W&C to Waterloo (travellators not working) and where I discovered I'd lost my Travelcard, leading to a lengthy delay while I hunted for it, and eventually used contactless payment for the remaining legs, up the Jubilee to Green Park, long wait for a northbound Victoria to Oxford Circus, down the Bakerloo to Piccadilly and then on to the first Piccadilly (northbound) to Leicester Square for a not terribly impressive time.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

At least you persevered Rich, I bailed after my fourth attempt.

Initial plan was to go to Mansion House on Circle, then back on the District. This had worked perfectly on my recce run, but two failed attempts (Circle arrived at Mansion House before District), meant I eventually copied Kev and went to Monument and back instead on the third attempt. Meanwhile the W&C had been in and out of service and operating with severe delays by the time we started the challenge. On arrival at Bank there was no train and after hanging about for a couple of minutes one still hadn't arrived, so I headed back to Cannon Street again.

For my final attempt, the Mansion House route worked perfectly and after a fast walk to Bank I got to the gate line just as the beeps were going on the doors on platform 7. No chance of getting there in time. By then the Northern line also started reporting delays, I was getting tired and grumpy, so decided to call it a day and save my energy for the R15 on Saturday.

I still like my route, so might try again when I've got some spare time in London in the future.

Circle to Mansion House or Monument
District back to Cannon Street
Run to Walbrook entrance (unfortunately closed due to lack of staff during the challenge)
W&C to Waterloo
Northern to Leicester Square
Piccadilly to Piccadilly Circus
Bakerloo to Oxford Circus
Victoria to Warren Street and back
Central to Bond Street
Jubilee to Baker Street
Met to Great Portland Street
H&C to Euston Square or Baker Street

I guess I could try it in reverse in getting the Circle, H&C and Met to Baker Street. This would make some of the interchanges longer, but some would be quicker, so probably balances out.

I just need to get fit and pray for a lot of sexy changes!